IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

2 hours ago, Barrs Court Red said:

That period late 90’s & mid 00’s was wild for stadium plans, for both clubs.

Ashton Gate Rebuild -30k

Hengrove - 40k

Severnside (shared stadium)

Fruit Market (shared stadium) 

Mem Rebuild - 15k? 

East End rebuild 

UWE stadium 

Ashton Vale (I think this fits in the time frame) 

It’s the sites that weren’t announced I find interesting. We know City acknowledged the council offered arena Island, and Rovers likewise has land by Rolls Royce suggested to them but there’s been a fair few others that to me, sounded like a really good idea. 

In the late 80s they had the subterranean bowl at Mangotsfield to dream about!

7 minutes ago, Scrumpty said:

In the late 80s they had the subterranean bowl at Mangotsfield to dream about!

Mangotsfield - The Bristol Rovers History Group. (weebly.com)

This one was even worse "Homing in on a new Stadium". What shows up is the Journalists over the years never challenge how this things are going to work. Just like now, they seem to be there to report what the club wants them to report.

12 minutes ago, The Gasbuster said:

Nail on head.

The 15ers never have had; and probably never will have , the funds for a new stadium.

Radical suggestion - Maybe they should actually try turning up for home games?

I know, I know - it's almost criminal to suggest that rather than being someone else's fault* the fault with their financial position lies closer to home. 
* pick any from a long and random list of parties to blame for their plight -  The council, 'teds in the away end, Wycombe, the EFL, Sainsbury's, UWE, The ref, The Greens, The BBC, A cycling event, The Balloon fiesta etc. etc.

• Like 1

PLCs have their shareholders to defer to. If there is a better deal out there for some land sale than a football club then they have to take it.

Developing the Mem seems the only way, we said that months ago on here.

Trouble is, rather than getting people onside, they have created bad feeling in the neighbourhood and the council by their attitude this summer. They have poked the bear. Further development has just been made harder.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, cityal said:

Can I be the first to suggest it looks the perfect size for trolls?

Supposed to be same size Atyeo can’t quite see where they will fit indoor gym / changing rooms ( as was before new improved BIGGER facilities added to lansdown ) and fans bars outlets and toilets ie mens / ladies and disabled ? More lies hahaha 

39 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

When you start going through all the failed proposals over 50 years, I can't think of another football club whose new stadium plans have been such abject failures.

The recurring theme is always "How is this going to be paid for?" 

The plans seem to range from "Sports Grants" to "Other Investors". At least with Ashton Vale, there was a coherent plan of selling AG, building homes on ground that we owned, plus the remainder coming from SL.

None of these Rovers' plans even mention at any stage funding, let alone a business plan. They are all just pie in the sky.

If it was any other club i would feel sorry for them!

• Like 1

I always thought FM would be an unsuitable location but if there is one thing that was sort of impressive it was how they managed to spin out their bullshit for as long as they did.

I wonder if its possible to rebuild on the mem using temporary stands if done in stages they could possibly move the pitch slightly along the way and open up more space? Since they forgot about planning permission it might be slightly ambitious to expect them to think that far ahead.

4 minutes ago, Baba Yaga said:

I always thought FM would be an unsuitable location but if there is one thing that was sort of impressive it was how they managed to spin out their bullshit for as long as they did.

I wonder if its possible to rebuild on the mem using temporary stands if done in stages they could possibly move the pitch slightly along the way and open up more space? Since they forgot about planning permission it might be slightly ambitious to expect them to think that far ahead.

They've moved the pitch 3m to accomodate the new super stand.

Which looks as if its resulted in the lights not fully covering the ends of the pitch.

38 minutes ago, Baba Yaga said:

There is certainly the footprint at the mem to have a decent sized stadium, would require as you said moving the pitch but it would be doable.

1 hour ago, TomF said:

Honestly if they'd have worked a plan with the rugby club back at the start of when they moved into the Mem I reckon over the last 25 years they'd have improved on what is there. 

They had loads of land there when they first moved in , Bristol rugby used to have 2 training pitches on the side or their pitch they could have turned their pitch and had a big old stadium there but no they sold up took the money and what ? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Bris Red said:

There is certainly the footprint at the mem to have a decent sized stadium, would require as you said moving the pitch but it would be doable.

It's Catch 22 though - they can only afford to build something if they sell the land. And its not worth enough to buy a new site and build on it.

Of course, the mysterious new owner may be wealthy and open-handed enough to finance it just for the warm feeling it would give him. Or not. Even the Gasheads don't seem to have found out much about him yet. As with Wael they're busily downgrading their expectations again.

9 minutes ago, Leveller said:

It's Catch 22 though - they can only afford to build something if they sell the land. And its not worth enough to buy a new site and build on it.

Of course, the mysterious new owner may be wealthy and open-handed enough to finance it just for the warm feeling it would give him. Or not. Even the Gasheads don't seem to have found out much about him yet. As with Wael they're busily downgrading their expectations again.

You mean he's not the Kuwait Crown Fund???! :o

Imagine if he was just a bloke who ran a few restaurant franchises, had a teensy bit of spare cash and fancied playing at "English league club owner" for a few years!  

I don't think he even has a nice watch.  :dunno:

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Red_Alligator said:

Their best bet would, in all honesty, be to develop the Mem as best they can. 

Quite where the money (and planning permission IF applied for) is going to come from is another story........

They should definitely try to tap up Johnny Depp next time he’s at his Somerset mansion. He has Pirates connections!

• Like 2

Just speaking to a gas ST colleague.

The temporary stand that they put up behind the goal, was to give away fans seats as well as disabled facilities, or else they would be fined by the league.

The problem is now, that they've taken it down (as of yesterday) as it's getting in the way of the new stand.

I have no idea if they plan to put it up/take it down before and after every home game to avoid getting fined, or if they're just going to take the EFL fine and have to accept it.

Given that the planning meeting isn't for another month anyhow, this is absolute chaos of the highest order there.

Also, the new stand will block half the away standing area as well (Like Bolton's old ground, back in the day)... Honestly couldn't make it up.

Edited by NcnsBcfc
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, NcnsBcfc said:

Mangotsfield - The Bristol Rovers History Group. (weebly.com)

This one was even worse "Homing in on a new Stadium". What shows up is the Journalists over the years never challenge how this things are going to work. Just like now, they seem to be there to report what the club wants them to report.

Wow! I had forgotten some of those articles in the BEP, "Demanding" that it was somehow Bristol City's duty to groundshare with them, what did it have to do with us? There was much more benefit to us to let them dissolve into nothingness, as was being suggested by their board. In fact there are so many statements from their board that they would be going out of business, you have to wonder why they still exist at all.

20 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

Just speaking to a gas ST colleague.

The temporary stand that they put up behind the goal, was to give away fans seats as well as disabled facilities, or else they would be fined by the league.

The problem is now, that they've taken it down (as of yesterday) as it's getting in the way of the new stand.

I have no idea if they plan to put it up/take it down before and after every home game to avoid getting fined, or if they're just going to take the EFL fine and have to accept it.

Given that the planning meeting isn't for another month anyhow, this is absolute chaos of the highest order there.

Also, the new stand will block half the away standing area as well (Like Bolton's old ground, back in the day)... Honestly couldn't make it up.

They probably just wheel it back in from the car park.

58 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

You mean he's not the Kuwait Crown Fund???! :o

Imagine if he was just a bloke who ran a few restaurant franchises, had a teensy bit of spare cash and fancied playing at "English league club owner" for a few years!  

I don't think he even has a nice watch.  :dunno:

More like the half-a-crown fund (ask your parents) :laugh:.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Wow! I had forgotten some of those articles in the BEP, "Demanding" that it was somehow Bristol City's duty to groundshare with them, what did it have to do with us? There was much more benefit to us to let them dissolve into nothingness, as was being suggested by their board. In fact there are so many statements from their board that they would be going out of business, you have to wonder why they still exist at all.

Likewise, I don't remember many, if any of them . 

I do like the sound of this "Super Stadium" though , and at 12,000 seats it would give them plenty of room to grow into it.

Screenshot2023-09-12at13_04_32.png.1325592afe3a93f4507c3979a3abae71.png

• Like 4