IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

16 hours ago, TomF said:

Who's got a copy of OTIB where it says 'we support rovers move to Mansfield' ?  Must be around 20-30th edition of it. 

That gag was written was written long before OTIB existed - around about the time we were beating Birmingham 4-0 away in 1990, if memory serves.

That issue came out April 1990. The chap who wrote it is on here, he'll confirm. 

Over 30 years later, it remains relevant. Hilarious. 

Edited by Merrick's Marvels

On 12/09/2023 at 07:40, Eddie Hitler said:

Yes.

And it gets worse, it's this kind.

Looks like bloody Skeletor in a ginger wig.

The song has the same affect as fingernails being scraped along a blackboard,

To be fair, despite his allegiance to the Fewers, Rod always got a good reception whenever he was in the aerial (sic).

Maybe jealous Irene felt threatened and pushed him off the roof.

We'll never know as Emu has always stayed shtum.

Edited by Bazooka Joe
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

That gag was written was written long before OTIB existed - around about the time we were beating Birmingham 4-0 away in 1990, if memory serves.

That issue came out April 1990. The chap who wrote it is on here, he'll confirm. 

Over 30 years later, it remains relevant. Hilarious. 

I had missed that. It was of course 'The Bountyhunter'. I seem to remember Gary Penrice's tash coming in for some stick.

• Haha 1

On 11/09/2023 at 15:22, Super said:

Bristol Rovers are exploring alternative options in their search for a new stadium, including redeveloping the Mem, Bristol Live understands, as talks between the club and the company behind the Fruit Market project are in danger of collapsing.

A little like their new gazebo stand then...?

Anyway - it doesn't matter if they get the land or not, they'll probably still start building something on it in the hope that the situation changes...It's what they do!

1 hour ago, Bazooka Joe said:

Looks like bloody Skeletor in a ginger wig.

The song has the same affect as fingernails being scraped along a blackboard,

To be fair, despite his allegiance to the Fewers, Rod always got a good reception whenever he was in the aerial (sic).

Maybe jealous Irene felt threatened and pushed him off the roof.

We'll never know as Emu has always stayed shtum.

He was just a fall guy...

2 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

That Tiny Tim has a great Wikipedia entry, one of life's great eccentrics. 

Saw Tiny Tim at the 1970 Isle of  Wight  festival, totally bizarre! In a line up featuring the likes of  Hendrix, The Doors and The Who, he had around half a million people singing along to 'Tiptoe Through the Tulips ' and 'There'll Always be an England '.

• Like 1
  • Flames 2

6 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

THAT one's dead 

5 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Tiny Tim didn’t die, despite what Scrooge thought; Dickens made that very clear.

Last time I heard, he was tiptoeing through the tulips.

Didn’t City fans used to sing about walking through the Tote End?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Enclosure Old Timer said:

Saw Tiny Tim at the 1970 Isle of  Wight  festival, totally bizarre! In a line up featuring the likes of  Hendrix, The Doors and The Who, he had around half a million people singing along to 'Tiptoe Through the Tulips ' and 'There'll Always be an England '.

You were at the Isle of Wight festival and you can remember what you saw! Strewth 

IMG_4724.jpeg

Now that Reading have been docked another 3 points, am I reading the table right - without the point deductions to Wigan and Reading, ie., based purely on footballing merit - Rovers should be in 20th place, just scraping above the relegation zone not even because of goal difference but just because Carlisle have played one more and lost 3?

I thought they were going to walk the league this season?!

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Well, of course, he is now, and would have been in his 90s were he still alive.

Did you know he was over 6 feet tall?

Some of the other names he performed as were: -

Emmett Swink

Texarkana Tex

Rollie Dell

Darry Dover

Judas K. Foxglove

Vernon Castle

and my favourite, Larry Love, the Singing Canary. ?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Some of the other names he performed as were: -

Emmett Swink

Texarkana Tex

Rollie Dell

Darry Dover

Judas K. Foxglove

Vernon Castle

and my favourite, Larry Love, the Singing Canary. ?

I am sure you are correct.

I just remember as a young boy my parents ranting about this travesty, whilst, only a few years earlier, they had been happily singing (my mother) Susan Maughan's 'Bobby's Girl' and (my father) Rosemary Clooney's 'Where will the Dimple be' and Diana Decker's Kitty in the Basket and 'Poppa Piccolino'.

For the record, I thoroughly enjoyed joining in with the choruses of all of them and even remember the lyrics now, some fifty years later - of course, it helps when your father has them all on 78s and used to play them most Sundays.

Just in case you have forgotten, although probably only @slartibartfast will remember any of them:    

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I am sure you are correct.

I just remember as a young boy my parents ranting about this travesty, whilst, only a few years earlier, they had been happily singing (my mother) Susan Maughan's 'Bobby's Girl' and (my father) Rosemary Clooney's 'Where will the Dimple be' and Diana Decker's Kitty in the Basket and 'Poppa Piccolino'.

For the record, I thoroughly enjoyed joining in with the choruses of all of them and even remember the lyrics now, some fifty years later - of course, it helps when your father has them all on 78s and used to play them most Sundays.

Just in case you have forgotten, although probably only @slartibartfast will remember any of them:    

I'd quite forgotten the Kitty song.............could have been Phoebe (Lisa Kudrow) singing Smelly Cat !

• Haha 3