IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

49 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Ragass Rovers would love a stand like the main stand at Chelmsford. Not a pillar in sight.

melbourne-community-stadium-chelmsford-city-fc-main-stand-1514291417

After seeing this I had a look at their stadium on a football ground guide website. One comment was: 

“The main drawback to spectators in this stand as you would expect at an athletics stadium, is that the stand is set well back from the playing action….”

For Rovers this would be an advantage as, ideally, if you’re watching them you would want to be as far away as possible. 

1 minute ago, pongo88 said:

After seeing this I had a look at their stadium on a football ground guide website. One comment was: 

“The main drawback to spectators in this stand as you would expect at an athletics stadium, is that the stand is set well back from the playing action….”

For Rovers this would be an advantage as, ideally, if you’re watching them you would want to be as far away as possible. 

My "second club" as I lived there for years and my kids were born there.

The club played at New Writtle Street and had a proper stadium with covered stands on three sides, average gates of around 2-3k in the Southern League, record crowd of 16k back in the day. Then, as often happens, new owner sold the ground and it now has houses on it. Club were forced to share Billericays ground for some time until they rented the current stadium from the council.

Big non-league side, more than capable of operating in the football league if they had a proper stadium.

Hope they get to play Ragass Rovers.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

My "second club" as I lived there for years and my kids were born there.

The club played at New Writtle Street and had a proper stadium with covered stands on three sides, average gates of around 2-3k in the Southern League, record crowd of 16k back in the day. Then, as often happens, new owner sold the ground and it now has houses on it. Club were forced to share Billericays ground for some time until they rented the current stadium from the council.

Big non-league side, more than capable of operating in the football league if they had a proper stadium.

Hope they get to play Ragass Rovers.

The current ground is ok for where they are now. Looks good when you look at the stand , but the other side does scream Council owned. Popped up there last year.

Screenshot2023-10-17at16_57_53.png.b41f753a4b3525b424704892bb77a8ab.png

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Doesn't matter, it's Whitby.       Got a nice sound to it........... a sort of Sutton, Hayes or Hitchiney sound to it !

Northern Premier League, Step 3 instead of Step 2 for Chelmsford, so bigger potential embarassment. Decent away record too.........

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

Doesn't matter, it's Whitby.       Got a nice sound to it........... a sort of Sutton, Hayes or Hitchiney sound to it !

Where Dracula landed on our shores in Bram Stoker's book. I wonder if he chose it because it sounded nice? :)

Edited by Port Said Red
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

He could have got a decent pasty in North Cornwall and the beaches are nicer.

or sausage and chips,had some nice food down there last week, going for 2 weeks next october so i can do more .  philps lamb and mint pasty is one i want for lunch more than once next time

3 hours ago, NcnsBcfc said:

Got a bit of a slope there haven't they. Looks like one of those wonderful Junior football pitches of old.

Bit of a slope? If you want a bit of a slope try playing on the football pitches at Purdown, assuming they are still there. They had a massive slope from side to side so that if you took a corner at the upper side you just had to kick it horizontally to reach head height in the penalty area. Trying to take a decent penalty from the lower side was an impossibility.

• Like 1

As Mrs Pongo was watching Bake Off on TV I decided to have a look at the Rovers forum. I actually found someone who posted a sensible comment:

“Only QPR, Sheffield Wednesday, Bristol Rovers and Grimsby Town out of the 92 haven't built a new permanent stand or stadium in the last 30 years. Board after board after board have bullshitted the supporters with drawings, designs, campaigns, videos and appointing stadium advisors. How can 95% of the Football League something that is apparently not achievable for us?” 

Come on, which of you have joined their forum and pretended to be Gashead? 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, pongo88 said:

Bit of a slope? If you want a bit of a slope try playing on the football pitches at Purdown, assuming they are still there. They had a massive slope from side to side so that if you took a corner at the upper side you just had to kick it horizontally to reach head height in the penalty area. Trying to take a decent penalty from the lower side was an impossibility.

Yep, the sideway slope near the tower. If you crossed the ball from the lower side you ended up receiving it straight back !

16 hours ago, pongo88 said:

As Mrs Pongo was watching Bake Off on TV I decided to have a look at the Rovers forum. I actually found someone who posted a sensible comment:

“Only QPR, Sheffield Wednesday, Bristol Rovers and Grimsby Town out of the 92 haven't built a new permanent stand or stadium in the last 30 years. Board after board after board have bullshitted the supporters with drawings, designs, campaigns, videos and appointing stadium advisors. How can 95% of the Football League something that is apparently not achievable for us?” 

Come on, which of you have joined their forum and pretended to be Gashead? 

And the stadiums of Sheff Weds, QPR and even Grimsby are far, far superior to theirs.