IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

22 minutes ago, RedLionLad said:

Incredible support in the 5th division yesterday…

As in The National League top of the league Chesterfield FC hosted 2nd Barnet Football Club in front of a SOLD OUT crowd of 9667 with 664 travelling from Barnet. 

Chesterfield average attendance is 7633 which is about 180 less than that little tin pot outfit in Horfield.

Edited by bcfc01
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Chesterfield average attendance is 7633 which is about 180 less than that little tin pot outfit in Horfield.

The Rovers’ average attendances are boosted by the away support from some of the bigger teams in the league. There may be a few local teams who bring a good away support to Chesterfield but, in the main, Chesterfield don’t get as many away supporters as Rovers. Strip out the away fans and Chesterfield’s average attendance is probably higher than Rovers 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, pongo88 said:

The Rovers’ average attendances are boosted by the away support from some of the bigger teams in the league. 

The same can be said for us in all fairness but even with the large followings we’ve had at AG this season it still leaves us with 19/20k City fans in attendance on average.

Remarkable support when you consider we’ve never achieved anything and spend most of our time mid-table or below. Our away average will be over 2k after the Southampton game.

Rovers have no excuses for not selling out all available home tickets for every game at the Mem.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

The same can be said for us in all fairness but even with the large followings we’ve had at AG this season it still leaves us with 19/20k City fans in attendance on average.

Remarkable support when you consider we’ve never achieved anything and spend most of our time mid-table or below. Our away average will be over 2k after the Southampton game.

Rovers have no excuses for not selling out all available home tickets for every game at the Mem.

Au contraire. They have plenty of exuses, they shouldn't have but they do...

Joey Barton

Parking

Public Transport

Bicycle Races

Balloon Fiesta

The Weather

Champions League on TV

The grounds a bit shit..

The ground is now cashless

It's nearly Christmas.

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

24 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Oh yes they do! Balloon Fiesta, half-term holidays, Christmas shopping, Manor Farm at home on the same day … (beat me to it Glyn!)

Edited by Rudolf Hucker
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

“…in all fairness”!  I don’t want fairness on this subject. I want total ridicule and humiliation 

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, glynriley said:

Au contraire. They have plenty of exuses, they shouldn't have but they do...

Joey Barton

Parking

Public Transport

Bicycle Races

Balloon Fiesta

The Weather

Champions League on TV

The grounds a bit shit..

The ground is now cashless

It's nearly Christmas.

1 minute ago, pongo88 said:

“…in all fairness”!  I don’t want fairness on this subject. I want total ridicule and humiliation 

Good points 🤣

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

I see they are discussing the idea of keeping agent Martin instead of pursuing JCH in January. It feels like only two weeks ago that Martin was useless, couldn't run and was stealing a living, now he's the one bit of class they have apparently. :)

If Agent Martin had not scored a goal or 2 then he would have been replaced and his value to the greater good would have been lost. By doing ok, he will be embedded further into their club where he can continue his mission. This message will self destruct in 5 seconds.............💥💨💭

• Haha 1

It is interesting( and slightly depressing for me) that City are now getting these sort of crowds. I've been watching Rovers for around 50 years and if we are saying the gap in attendances is around 10k in terms of home support, I think  that would be the biggest gap I've known. In terms of league position , we aren't that different from where we have been for much of that period. The one obvious difference now is that you have , in effect, a new stadium. As much as many of us- myself included- like an old school ground, it does seem that the rebuild of Ashton Gate  allied  maybe with the professionalism and drive of Steve Lansdown have had an incredible effect on attendances.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Miah Dennehy said:

It is interesting( and slightly depressing for me) that City are now getting these sort of crowds. I've been watching Rovers for around 50 years and if we are saying the gap in attendances is around 10k in terms of home support, I think  that would be the biggest gap I've known. In terms of league position , we aren't that different from where we have been for much of that period. The one obvious difference now is that you have , in effect, a new stadium. As much as many of us- myself included- like an old school ground, it does seem that the rebuild of Ashton Gate  allied  maybe with the professionalism and drive of Steve Lansdown have had an incredible effect on attendances.

22,438 is the current average (with some big away followings of 2k-3k).

A new stadium definitely helps, but I think there has been a steady rise in attendances across the board in the last ten years for most Championship clubs - our average is just 12th in the Championship, ten years ago it would probably be top 5.

In 2013 in the Championship our average was 13,348, albeit a relegation year.

Rovers current average is 7,820.

In 2011 in League One it was 6,253 albeit a relegation year, previous year was 7,043.

They've had better in the intervening years, but their attendances appear to have stayed around 7k-8k in the main.

Refs;

https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/championship/attendances

https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/league-one/attendances

https://european-football-statistics.co.uk/attnclub/league/bric.htm

https://european-football-statistics.co.uk/attnclub/league/brir.htm

9 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

A new stadium definitely helps, but I think there has been a steady rise in attendances across the board in the last ten years for most Championship clubs - our average is just 12th in the Championship, ten years ago it would probably be top 5.

Think the club sizes in our league play a big factor. Leicester, Leeds, Southampton, Sunderland all averaging 30kish +.

Vs in 2012-13, the likes of Brighton, Derby, Forest were the highest attendances. Leicester were in the league, but Prem win will of improved attendances 10 fold.

• Like 1

I've got a gut feeling the board at Rovers are going to appointment Mangan. Particularly after the relatively successful set of recent results.

@Miah Dennehy what do you think?

Hopefully it won't take them 6 weeks and an extensive worldwide search in order to promote the assistant.

Edited by NcnsBcfc

7 minutes ago, Selred said:

Think the club sizes in our league play a big factor. Leicester, Leeds, Southampton, Sunderland all averaging 30kish +.

Vs in 2012-13, the likes of Brighton, Derby, Forest were the highest attendances. Leicester were in the league, but Prem win will of improved attendances 10 fold.

Attendances have improved though.

This is the Championship from 2013;

https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/championship/attendances/2012-2013

1 minute ago, bcfc01 said:

Attendances have improved though.

This is the Championship from 2013;

https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/championship/attendances/2012-2013

I think lower league teams have benefitted from the pricing and lack of ticket availability in the Premiership. It was pointed out earlier in this thread that Chesterfield had 9600 for a Non League game, but that's not been that unusual in recent times. Even taking out the Wrexham anomaly last season, Conference crowds were up significantly last season and have continued to be high this.

People have kids that want to see live football and the Premiership can't cater for them all.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NcnsBcfc said:

I've got a gut feeling the board at Rovers are going to appointment Mangan. Particularly after the relatively successful set of recent results.

@Miah Dennehy what do you think?

Hopefully it won't take them 6 weeks and an extensive worldwide search in order to promote the assistant.

Of all the candidates mentioned, he'd be my pick.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

'10k in terms of support' 🤣

Even the good ones cannot help themselves ffs

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Superjack said:

We have. And Barton was sent packing before ours. 

Is it because there is a fantastic 'builder' of a manager that is recently available, that has fallen in love with North Somerset, but can't quite commit to a job yet because of health issues? 

They should go all out for Pearson, would be a fantastic appointment.

Can't say I'd be too happy tho!

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, DaveF said:

They should go all out for Pearson, would be a fantastic appointment.

Can't say I'd be too happy tho!

Indeed. 

They absolutely should. 

And I would be happy for him. 

But the hatred, yes... 'hatred'...  that I have for the Lansdowns would be complete. 

• Like 2
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 1

• Admin
2 hours ago, robinforlife2 said:

I have no hatred for rovers personally. I don't even see them as rivals anymore. Cardiff are bigger rivals imo. I would not be disappointed if they appointed Nige. It would be the best thing for them to do. I would also wish him success until the point we are at the same level as them. 

Personally hope they get relegated and disappear off the map 

Their a blot on the City of Bristol than bring nothing to the table 

They're never going appoint Pearson, this is as hilarious as those who'd convinced themselves Lampard was in the running for our position 

7 hours ago, Superjack said:

We have. And Barton was sent packing before ours. 

Is it because there is a fantastic 'builder' of a manager that is recently available, that has fallen in love with North Somerset, but can't quite commit to a job yet because of health issues? 

I think you need a lie down in a dark room lol

• Like 6
  • Flames 1