IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

2 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Cardiff was probably the 2nd or 3rd game I went to, and for some reason we thought the open end would be a good idea. Carnage with about 100 arrests , not bad in 1970/71. Always a real game against Cardiff.

Dad took me to one of my first games against Cardiff when the club gave out vouchers for the forthcoming Leeds United 3rd round F.A cup game. Remember clearly a large mob of Welsh in the open bit of the East End all game. Think 3-2…but not sure.

• Like 1

We’ve not been the same league as them, literally and metaphorically, for more than 20 years.  Growing up from 65 to 80 we were only in the same league as them for 2 years, whereas Cardiff we seem to play more or less every season.  Plus Cardiff have similar facilities and more or less the same level of fanbase.

If you ask a Forest fan who are their biggest rivals, Notts County or Derby. I guess the majority would say Derby.  And so it is for me with Cardiff, although there’s no denying the gas are a poxy wee club id love to see go bust.

Edited by Malago
  • Like 4

May have missed it, but wasn’t the new stand supposed to be ‘temporary’? Has ‘temporary’ been very quietly dropped?

So the Sags have a retro 1950’s ‘new’ stand, quite possibly, as a permanent addition to their museum of comedic sporting structures. 

Of their range of exhibits I still rate the 2020 close season upgrade of a single door fibreglass canopy my favourite. Their pride in revealing that canopy on social media captured the essence of tinpotness perfectly. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, RedRock said:

May have missed it, but wasn’t the new stand supposed to be ‘temporary’? Has ‘temporary’ been very quietly dropped?

So the Sags have a retro 1950’s ‘new’ stand, quite possibly, as a permanent addition to their museum of comedic sporting structures. 

Of their range of exhibits I still rate the 2020 close season upgrade of a single door fibreglass canopy my favourite. Their pride in revealing that canopy on social media captured the essence of tinpotness perfectly. 

Ah. The Canopy Neu.

• Haha 5

53 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

https://www.bristolrovers.co.uk/news/2023/november/South-stand-statement/

"The South Stand will modernise the stadium, and with your help continue to add to that infamous atmosphere that the Memorial Stadium is known for." 

Well I guess the honesty is to be admired... 

Yep, certainly a massive upgrade on their previous outstanding away disabled supporter's facility

IMG-20230512-WA0001.jpg

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Malago said:

We’ve not been the same league as them, literally and metaphorically, for more than 20 years.  Growing up from 65 to 80 we were only in the same league as them for 2 years, whereas Cardiff we seem to play more or less every season.  Plus Cardiff have similar facilities and more or less the same level of fanbase.

If you ask a Forest fan who are their biggest rivals, Notts County or Derby. I guess the majority would say Derby.  And so it is for me with Cardiff, although there’s no denying the gas are a poxy wee club id love to see go bust.

Forest fans have a quite amicable relationship with County from what I’ve experienced living in Nottingham. 

Derby are their main rivals, even Leicester are a bigger rivalry than County for them. Very different from Bristol, where Rovers will always be our main rivals with Cardiff and Swindon popping up from time to time

5 hours ago, RedRock said:

From my understanding temporary in terms doesn’t mean for a short time while they sort out something more permanent, it’s to do with the fact that it can’t be taken down at short notice if needed to, that’s why it’s all bolted together! 

That’s what I was told but I could be completely wrong!

• Like 1

On 14/11/2023 at 14:26, Maltshoveller said:

Must be an age thing if you think Cardiff is a bigger rivalry than the Gas

I still see Swindon as bigger rivals than Cardiff 

In what way do Rovers rival us? 
or Swindon for that matter? 

Rovers haven’t been rivals for 20 odd years and unless something goes spectacularly wrong for us or spectacularly right they won’t rival us for at least another 5-10 years! 

hopefully they go out of business by then! **** em!

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 1

1 hour ago, JBFC II said:

Forest fans have a quite amicable relationship with County from what I’ve experienced living in Nottingham. 

Derby are their main rivals, even Leicester are a bigger rivalry than County for them. Very different from Bristol, where Rovers will always be our main rivals with Cardiff and Swindon popping up from time to time

Ah, I live in Nottm too - and have done for a very long time - and my Forest supporting mates do indeed have an avuncular sort of attitude to the Notts fans…. but my word the Notts fans frigging hate Forest, and the patronising  ‘they’re quite cute really’ attitude of the Forest fans absolutely presses their buttons. I’d love us to have a similar sort of relationship to the Rovers, not only because it would cement our dominance over them, but also because their fans would absolutely hate it. 

Give it another 10 years or so, and we could get there. Bring it on!

• Like 1

I too have said that Cardiff are our bigger rivals, but no more.  That fixture is a shadow of what it used to be, and since their red shirt debacle I just can’t take them seriously. 

Rovers on the other hand, if we played them tomorrow that needle would be there. The build up to it would be discussed for weeks, and the game would be mentioned for weeks after. 

• Like 5
  • Flames 1

The rivalry between  city & rovers  in the late 70s,80 90s was unbelievable yep definitely  do miss those times ,feel sorry for the young uns on here who've  never experienced  it .if we played  them tomorrow  it'd  still be great ,don't kid yourselfs cardiff  swindon  etc are are main rivals  they ain't. 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, 95red said:

The rivalry between  city & rovers  in the late 70s,80 90s was unbelievable yep definitely  do miss those times ,feel sorry for the young uns on here who've  never experienced  it .if we played  them tomorrow  it'd  still be great ,don't kid yourselfs cardiff  swindon  etc are are main rivals  they ain't. 

Yep. It's why there isn't a permanent post up on this forum, listing all the wanky things Swindon and Cardiff have done.

Knowing that the Gas have lost always improves my day. Can't say I check up on other clubs as much. 

• Like 11

Think it depends on length of support, game ‘experiences’, where you’ve lived as to who you consider our rivals to be, my 1-4 order in edgy, tense, atmospheric games would be:-

1) Sags

2) Cardiff

3) Millwall

4) Brum

The likes of Swansea, Muff, Pompey all jostling for attention behind that group. Swindon, oddly, never really registered as a rival despite being my first away day.

• Hmmm 1

15 hours ago, RedRock said:

May have missed it, but wasn’t the new stand supposed to be ‘temporary’? 

This is correct.

The stand is temporary. It is designed and constructed to collapse and be removed within the next five years.

This will coincide perfectly with Rovers being relegated back to non-league football, and the appointment of Jon Lansdown as their new Chairman.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

Yep. It's why there isn't a permanent post up on this forum, listing all the wanky things Swindon and Cardiff have done.

Cardiff or Swindon wouldn’t give us enough ammo to have a thread about them. Cardiff beat us on a semi regular basis and have been more successful than us and Swindon’s finances can only get so many laughs.

Compare that with those dumb bastards in Horfield who have a habit of shooting themselves in both feet with an Elephant gun on a weekly basis. As I’ve said before, it’s not our fault their club is such a joke.

If anyone ever feels depressed about our status as one of the biggest underachievers in British football, console yourself that we also have the funniest and most ridiculous ‘rivals’ in the game to keep us laughing. Every cloud….

Edited by Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Flames 3

5 minutes ago, Rob said:

What was up with the wires at the back of this picture? Looks like something you'd find in a Favela.

I was going to ask the same question.

Should be some trainers with the laces tied together dangling from them.

Its hard to believe that picture is actually taken at a genuine Football League ground. Absolute state of it, no wonder they’re so in awe of the monstrosity thats now replacing the tents.

Edited by Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Rob said:

What was up with the wires at the back of this picture? Looks like something you'd find in a Favela.

Didn't someone post a photo taken from the reverse angle showing that it is a ladder that is holding up the cables?

It all looks amateur but then if you ask volunteers to do the maintenance it is asking for trouble.

I take no pleasure in making fun of finances but their fans did try to make out they were the 6th richest club.....unlucky....