IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

4 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

I've recently been wondering why the Sags still haven't appointed a new manager.  I'm guessing that either nobody wants the job or they have not been released yet by the parole board.

Someone mentioned the other day that Wael had actually offered the job to over a dozen potential candidates but all had turned the job down due to a lack of money, non league ground & infrastructure, a lack of fans and a distinct lack of ambition.

Not surprised to see that the Fruit Market project they have all been harping about for years has gone pear shaped either.

In a world where The Gas are prowed of their new, ahem, 'stand', I can almost believe this. But surely even the most incompetent owner would realise that after being turned down for a prom date three times, something is wrong with their offer? Surely ...

... they might literally have to dig someone up at this rate  ...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NcnsBcfc said:

'Damaging' backlog after council department loses a third of staff

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/bristol-planning-backlog-caused-council-8919672#ICID=Android_BristolPostApp_AppShare

Must have been some naughtiness going on with the Rover's planning applicatio  to get it through so quickly then? 

Particularly after they had to pull the first application and make a new one.

No doubt the Sports Village issues aren't subject to the same level of "support" from certain Council members. 🤔

I'm afraid it's as simple as retrospective and part retrospective applications are given priority... 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I'm afraid it's as simple as retrospective and part retrospective applications are given priority... 

The backlog is currently 18 months, so that doesn’t explain why it was all dealt with so quickly in the first place, does it?

You are being incredibly naive if you think this one wasn’t cherry picked for quicker treatment.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

The backlog is currently 18 months, so that doesn’t explain why it was all dealt with so quickly in the first place, does it?

You are being incredibly naive if you think this one wasn’t cherry picked for quicker treatment.

Nah. 6-9 months is the waiting time for allocation to an officer for most applications, in my experience this year. 

Retrospective applications get priority, full stop. I submitted one two months ago and it was given a case officer within a week. Rovers' stand application was part retrospective and received a lot of public attention, so no surprise the Council prioritised it. 

Bristol Rovers get no preferential treatment by BCC, they are well known to many at City Hall as a laughing stock run by amateurs. 

• Like 7
  • Hmmm 1

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Nah. 6-9 months is the waiting time for allocation to an officer for most applications, in my experience this year. 

Retrospective applications get priority, full stop. I submitted one two months ago and it was given a case officer within a week. Rovers' stand application was part retrospective and received a lot of public attention, so no surprise the Council prioritised it. 

Bristol Rovers get no preferential treatment by BCC, they are well known to many at City Hall as a laughing stock run by amateurs. 

I was under the impression that there are a couple in the Mayors office who are "sympathetic" towards them ?

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

17 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

I was under the impression that there are a couple in the Mayors office who are "sympathetic" towards them ?

Was speaking with a former senior employee of the mayors office two weeks ago who certainly didn't give that impression. Plenty of funny stories about Rovers' incompetence though. If anyone can provide some evidence of BCC giving preferential treatment to Rovers then I'm all ears (and dealing with a retrospective application with high public interest is not evidence of being treated differently). 

If we want to talk about a local authority that bends over backwards for Rovers, then any conversation has to begin with South Gascestershire Council who have literally spent two decades trying to find Rovers a stadium in South Glos...to the point they even had a policy in their local plan dedicated to it.

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Was speaking with a former senior employee of the mayors office two weeks ago who certainly didn't give that impression. Plenty of funny stories about Rovers' incompetence though. If anyone can provide some evidence of BCC giving preferential treatment to Rovers then I'm all ears (and dealing with a retrospective application with high public interest is not evidence of being treated differently). 

If we want to talk about a local authority that bends over backwards for Rovers, then any conversation has to begin with South Gascestershire Council who have literally spent two decades trying to find Rovers a stadium in South Glos...to the point they even had a policy in their local plan dedicated to it.

Hopefully they’ll find them some land up Marshfield or up by Severn View services. 

3 minutes ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

Hang on, Marshfield is heading out my way. Not In My Back Yard!

I would suggest one of those islands in the Bristol Channel might be best. Flat Holm, Steep Holm or Lundy.

Lundy! I`m not having that - I`d be able to see them on a clear day.

I`d prefer they relocated to Barry Island or better still, Neath/Port Talbot.

Edited by Lanterne Rouge
  • Like 3
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

Hang on, Marshfield is heading out my way. Not In My Back Yard!

I would suggest one of those islands in the Bristol Channel might be best. Flat Holm, Steep Holm or Lundy.

1 hour ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Lundy! I`m not having that - I`d be able to see them on a clear day.

I`d prefer they relocated to Barry Island or better still, Neath/Port Talbot.

Interestingly (well to someone like me anyway) I only discovered last week that Corsairs used to use Lundy as a base to attack the Devon and Cornish coasts and shipping from those harbours. As Corsairs were "legal" pirates, it would make some sort of sense for them to be based there. 
The only issue from their point of view would be the need for a second ferry from Ilfracombe to deal with the away supporters

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Interestingly (well to someone like me anyway) I only discovered last week that Corsairs used to use Lundy as a base to attack the Devon and Cornish coasts and shipping from those harbours. As Corsairs were "legal" pirates, it would make some sort of sense for them to be based there. 
The only issue from their point of view would be the need for a second ferry from Ilfracombe to deal with the away supporters

In Our Time listener I assume?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chinapig said:

In Our Time listener I assume?

"There's a reading list to go with the programme" :) 

Funnily enough it's the 2nd fact that I learned about the Bristol Channel from that programme. Apparently there was an Abbey on Flatholm, and that's where King Harald's wife and daughters were taken after his death at Hastings. 

Edited by Port Said Red
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

They`d demand the council build a bridge for them.

• Like 1

• Admin
1 hour ago, bcfc01 said:

Their training ground looks under threat from the Council who want to build houses on it.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/bristol-rovers-training-ground-housing-8919143

It's being built on spare land they own 

In typical Rovers style, they're planning to use the money made from the sale to pay for improvements to the current quarters build 

Though I'm sure a torrential downpour and gale force winds could give equal improvements 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, petehinton said:

All that faff and excitement for something that is akin to something in the national league

It shows correct forward thinking. Given the 'temp' nature of their new stand, they figured that they might only be able to sell it to Blackburn if they put letters on the seats.

And someone then pointed out that Blackburn probably won't want it anyway.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

That bit in the corner looks very weird, it seems to have overlapping pieces of roof and multiple pillars.

My father in laws car porch is similar but he designed that himself and doesn't charge people to sit under it.

I guess that is what you get (I assume) for buying a kit of parts rather than a bespoke architect design?

58 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Is the problem with the lights sorted yet?

Yes.

Wally & Saddam have told all season “ticket” holders in the “new stand” to make sure they charge their mobile phones before arriving at the dump.

From 4.15 pm onwards, they will all stand and switch on their phone torches, and point them towards the pitch. They will remain in position until full time arrives.

Edited by The Gasbuster
  • Haha 5