IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

50 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Arthur Holmes, mate.

Absolutely dodgy as **** what went on then, though to be clear it only enabled them to steal the remaining 50% of the ground.

They had recently entered into a partnership with Bristol rugby & had bought 50%, which very soon became all of it for just a further £10k.

Scandalous, but from a club that tried to buy Ashton Gate from the creditors in ‘82 not exactly a surprise.

Parasites.

I remember the Evening Post at the time saying how wonderful them getting the Mem was, no mention that one of this cities biggest sporting institutions was close to going out of business. My late father always hated them more than he loved City, which I found to be the case with a lot of fans from an older generation.

As someone who’s been passionate about Bristol Rugby for nearly as long as I have about City, this was the moment when I really got why he despised them so much. For me, the longer they stay there and the more dilapidated it is, the better. Sanctimonius, deluded assholes.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Flames 6

6 hours ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

Had a look at Gaschat yesterday, some have already booked a hotel in Liverpool. Free to cancel, but talk about tempting fate...

Tbf to them, that is quite sensible, even for a sag.

I know this thread is to laugh at them, but if I was a top six side in their division, Pompey (faltering badly), Derby, Oxford, I’d be straight on to Chris Martin’s agent with more money than those jokers can offer & a bonus if he gets a team promoted.

5 in his last 4 games, 9 in 12 starts & 5 sub appearances, still got it at League One level.

• Like 13

50 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I know this thread is to laugh at them, but if I was a top six side in their division, Pompey (faltering badly), Derby, Oxford, I’d be straight on to Chris Martin’s agent with more money than those jokers can offer & a bonus if he gets a team promoted.

5 in his last 4 games, 9 in 12 starts & 5 sub appearances, still got it at League One level.

His performances demonstrate the gap between the Championship and League 1. Jonson Clarke-Harris is another example. He scores goals for fun in League 1 but no Championship teams are interested in signing him as they know he couldn’t make the step up 

• Flames 1

For the ninth time this season Rovers were the better team but lost.

With those extra 27 points in the bag we’d be 8 clear at the top.

Young Martin wants seven thousand a week for an eighteen month stretch but the only contract Alf is interested in at the moment is a short sell on gas futures.

Edited by bert tann
  • Haha 4

46 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

His performances demonstrate the gap between the Championship and League 1. Jonson Clarke-Harris is another example. He scores goals for fun in League 1 but no Championship teams are interested in signing him as they know he couldn’t make the step up 

I keep hearing this but if the gap is so big, why do we recruit players (and coaches) from the lower leagues. Is this the reason we are struggling in the  Championship?

• Like 8

Another great insight from the great little thinker that is Socrates on their "forum"

"We were the better team but our inability to score our chances and stop their shots cost us."

Condensed version - if we don't score and they do we'll lose.

Brilliant.

• Haha 7

10 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Another great insight from the great little thinker that is Socrates on their "forum"

"We were the better team but our inability to score our chances and stop their shots cost us."

Condensed version - if we don't score and they do we'll lose.

Brilliant.

The same summation as any clubs at the bottom of the league, if only we could score more goals than the other team !

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

23 minutes ago, marmite said:

I keep hearing this but if the gap is so big, why do we recruit players (and coaches) from the lower leagues. Is this the reason we are struggling in the  Championship?

Are we struggling in the Championship..?

We are just struggling to compete with the top of the Championship, against teams with bigger budgets, generally. 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

3 hours ago, marmite said:

That’s a very good question and I’m not sure of the answer. IMO the probable answers are:

1) That’s its a reasonably low cost solution to make sure City can maintain a mid table position without much chance of relegation. (2) There is a possibility that some of these players can be later sold at a profit. This fits with the club’s business plan. (3) There is a possibility that some of the players will come good and City make it to the playoffs before they’re sold. Once in the playoffs anything can happens and SL seems to think that City should be like Luton - i.e. a club with a low cost squad who make it to the Premier League 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

5 hours ago, GrahamC said:

And, of course, he has now caught up with the pre-season training he missed whilst he was out of contract.

58 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

That’s a very good question and I’m not sure of the answer. IMO the probable answers are:

1) That’s its a reasonably low cost solution to make sure City can maintain a mid table position without much chance of relegation. (2) There is a possibility that some of these players can be later sold at a profit. This fits with the club’s business plan. (3) There is a possibility that some of the players will come good and City make it to the playoffs before they’re sold. Once in the playoffs anything can happens and SL seems to think that City should be like Luton - i.e. a club with a low cost squad who make it to the Premier League 

Nailed it !

(although this is the 2015 ers thread  ! 😆)

Edited by The Gasbuster

10 hours ago, marmite said:

1) There are obviously individual players in L1 who are better than L1 hence why Championship clubs sign them ie Jason Knight, Mark Sykes. This isn’t just something we do.

2) We’re not “struggling” in the Championship, we’re 4 points off the Play Offs FFS. 🤣 

Rotherham are struggling, QPR are struggling. We’re standard mid table, unlikely to go up but with a decent gap between us and the bottom 3 (at the moment at least). The word you were looking for is ‘stagnating’.

The real Gap between us and the Gas is huge, 23 years and counting. Good luck beating that slaggies.

Edited by Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

The real Gap between us and the Gas is huge, 23 years and counting. Good luck beating that slaggies.

Yeah imagine we stay where we are and, say,Bournemouth stayed in the Prem for the next 20 years. We wouldn’t like it, but the truth would be that they were MUCH bigger than us. That is how Rovers are right now. They may be in denial, but they would be embarrassed in the Championship. 

1 hour ago, petehinton said:

******* hell, 11th in the league but they’re the best side in the league. 

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

IMG_5994.jpeg

You just have to look at the way our views compare to theirs.

We are 4 points off the play off places & the general feeling on here (although very jekyll & Hyde, based on the last result) is that our chairman is a clown for believing we could be a top 6 contender & the general outlook from threads is frustrated & negative.

Rovers are 12 points off the top 6, closer to the drop zone than the play offs - yet they always seem to refer to their play-off push & how they are better than everyone that beats them..!

• Like 9

26 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

You just have to look at the way our views compare to theirs.

We are 4 points off the play off places & the general feeling on here (although very jekyll & Hyde, based on the last result) is that our chairman is a clown for believing we could be a top 6 contender & the general outlook from threads is frustrated & negative.

Rovers are 12 points off the top 6, closer to the drop zone than the play offs - yet they always seem to refer to their play-off push & how they are better than everyone that beats them..!

I think you'll find that their full name is Promotion Chasing Bristol Rovers.

©Bristol Post.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3