IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

2 minutes ago, SirColinOfMansfield said:

Things like this have aged well over the last 8 years (February 2016) ....

FqPuw9MXoAEDMSa.jpg

Mind The Gap!!

That last bullet point sums them up.

It should be saying "....as club look to move into League One", but no, its all to do about closing the gap on us (which they have no chance of doing).

Rich list: How the wealth of Bristol Rovers owner Wael Al-Qadi and family was calculated

The compiler of the list, Ian Strachan,has answered some of the questions surrounding the price tag.

• 00:00, 21 OCT 2016
  • UPDATED09:56, 2 MAR 2017

•  
  • Yesterday the Post, for the first time, put a price tag on the Bristol Rovers' owner's fortune.

As you might expect this caused some controversy with many wanting to know how the figure was reach and also why it wasn't higher.

•  

It was thought that the club's owner Wael Al-Qadiwas a billionaire rather than a millionaire but looking more closely at the figures available it seems that may not be the case.

In our regional rich list, which we released yesterday, we put the figure at £400 million.

The article then went on at some length to explain the figure of £400 million was a complete guess but that it was a conservative guess and the actual amount could be a lot higher. I imagine the writer had benefited from the same kind of education as Mr Al-Quidi himself ( Oxford, Cambridge, Yale, Harvard, LSE, Sorbonne, Monks Park etc etc) but he had failed to learn the intricacies of the Google search engine. Had he done so he would have easily discovered  Mr Al- Quidi’s personal shareholding in the AJIB and Four Season Hotel Amman was worth, at the time, approximately £25 million. Which strangely enough was the amount our President had put into Rovers up till last August before having to be rescued by Alf Seed.

• Haha 6

2 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Go on any Rovers site and you'll find accusations of media bias towards City. Go on any Celtic or Rangers site and you'll find each accusing their local media of bias towards their rivals. I'd hazard a guess that this is repeated in any two  team city.

I get what you're saying Miah, but in regard to the EP, I think my case remains solid. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Red_Alligator said:

I get what you're saying Miah, but in regard to the EP, I think my case remains solid. 

We shall have to agree to differ then. I don't think it shows any City bias btw, but I bet for every 'pro' Rovers story you find, I could find a pro City one. If I could be arsed that is, which I can't :)

At lest the paranoia here isn't as bad as in Glasgow, it really is off the scale up there.  Rangers actually trying to get a ref banned from their games atm . The same ref who, in fairly recent years, I heard many Celts describe as a Rangers fan.

• Confused 1

On 15/01/2024 at 09:37, Miah Dennehy said:

Go on any Rovers site and you'll find accusations of media bias towards City. Go on any Celtic or Rangers site and you'll find each accusing their local media of bias towards their rivals. I'd hazard a guess that this is repeated in any two  team city.

I used to work for the Daily Record and I can confirm this is true. Celts called it The Daily Ranger and Gers called it the Daily Rebel.

Side note, a memorable back page splash during my time there had the Ibrox chairman warning his then underachieving players, “If you don’t shape up you’ll end up at Bristol Rovers.” I wasn’t responsible, honest, but it’s good to know your lot are a universal euphemism for s**t. ;) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 15/01/2024 at 18:57, Miah Dennehy said:

We shall have to agree to differ then. I don't think it shows any City bias btw, but I bet for every 'pro' Rovers story you find, I could find a pro City one. If I could be arsed that is, which I can't :)

At lest the paranoia here isn't as bad as in Glasgow, it really is off the scale up there.  Rangers actually trying to get a ref banned from their games atm . The same ref who, in fairly recent years, I heard many Celts describe as a Rangers fan.

There was certainly Rovers bias while big Rovers fan Mike Norton was editor-in-chief at the EP for many years, he hated City with a passion ever since his South Bristol school days.  

9 minutes ago, Claverham_Red said:

Wagner will be desperate to win tonight to set up the clash with his mate Klopp next week. 🙏

Oh I do hope so. I would hate to see plucky little Bristol Rovers get thoroughly trashed by Liverpools youth team!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TV Tom said:

There was certainly Rovers bias while big Rovers fan Mike Norton was editor-in-chief at the EP for many years, he hated City with a passion ever since his South Bristol school days.  

Go on then, show some evidence :)

I suspect he had better things to do that showing Rovers in a good light and City in a bad one. Chris Swift reported on Rovers back in the day, a Kidderminster fan, but, as you would expect for someone who went all over the country covering matches for a team, he became a bit of a fan, whoever was covering City at the time, no doubt was the same.

When I was growing up, Robin Perry covered Rovers and Peter Godsiff covered City and one would assume they both wanted their respective teams to do well and that may have been reflected in their journalism, and that doesn't necessarily that they were constantly waving the flag, just that they cared about their teams.

Anyway  , as a sizeable business within Bristol there must have been at least a few City fans working there to counteract any bias, I mean, I know we've got more fans than you and all that.....

29 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

I suspect he had better things to do that showing Rovers in a good light and City in a bad one. Chris Swift reported on Rovers back in the day, a Kidderminster fan, but, as you would expect for someone who went all over the country covering matches for a team, he became a bit of a fan, whoever was covering City at the time, no doubt was the same.

When I was growing up, Robin Perry covered Rovers and Peter Godsiff covered City and one would assume they both wanted their respective teams to do well and that may have been reflected in their journalism, and that doesn't necessarily that they were constantly waving the flag, just that they cared about their teams.

Anyway  , as a sizeable business within Bristol there must have been at least a few City fans working there to counteract any bias, I mean, I know we've got more fans than you and all that.....

No idea who the editor was, but I do remember the Post issuing a grovelling apology some time after various members of our squad went to prison for affray and the post mentioned it at every opportunity.

On 15/01/2024 at 18:57, Miah Dennehy said:

I don't think it shows any City bias btw, but I bet for every 'pro' Rovers story you find, I could find a pro City one.

Feel free to show me multiple stories where City are/were 12+ points off the play offs and around half way through the season where we are labelled as "promotion chasing", "play off contenders", "something special" etc etc etc. 

Edited by TheReds
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, TheReds said:

Feel free to show me multiple stories where City are/were 12+ points off the play offs and around half way through the season where we are labelled as "promotion chasing", "play off contenders", "something special" etc etc etc. 

I think you may be reading far, far too much into poor journalism.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Miah Dennehy said:

The tv critic for the post (Mike Davey?) is/was a big City fan and was/is always at AG and umhh and that’s it, I”ll give Norton a ring tonight and ask if he can post some evidence of my claims on here tonight 😀, all joking aside Mike Norton’s a decent guy but was never afraid to show where his allegiances lie so much so that him and Lansdown really didn’t get on

• Haha 1

On 16/01/2024 at 09:05, CiderJar said:

Championship ready catering....

We also have food vans outside our stadium? 

I'm all for getting different types of food at games, especially independent companies. Beats soggy chips and tasteless pasties.

Something I'd actually praise Rovers for, clearly bloody good if they need to make social posts about it too!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Selred said:

I'm all for getting different types of food at games, especially independent companies. Beats soggy chips and tasteless pasties.

Something I'd actually praise Rovers for, clearly bloody good if they need to make social posts about it too!

Do you ever go to the areas outside AG? There's loads of them!

• Facepalm 1

17 minutes ago, Selred said:

Yes  - i agree, but only Roverz would have an outlet called the Jerk king team. Classic

59 minutes ago, Selred said:

Thank you! I did think the same when I read the original post tbf, but couldn't be arsed to comment. The Jerk King is great food , the more clubs that do this the better , football food does not have to be shite.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Thank you! I did think the same when I read the original post tbf, but couldn't be arsed to comment. The Jerk King is great food , the more clubs that do this the better , football food does not have to be shite.

We have Feed The Goat, where - ironically - you can eat goat. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, richwwtk said:

Do you ever go to the areas outside AG? There's loads of them!

Yes, I literally just said we have them. Although personally find them a bit dull (burgers etc), bring back the Mexican van IMO.

Anyway my main point is it's not a stick to beat Rovers with, it's a good thing!

• Like 2
  • Flames 1