IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

1 hour ago, WessexPest said:

I seldom see it mentioned but I feel a fair bit of rivalry with the Greens; they dislike both Bristol clubs a fair bit and it could be quite an Away day on Easter Monday.

Agree with @The Gasbuster re Blackburn. I’d say Preston are arguably a bigger club with a more prestigious history. Where would another BRFC be if it wasn’t for Jack Walker’s money 30 years ago? Their crowds are absolutely abysmal.

Disagree with you both re Blackburn, who have both more titles and FA Cups than PNE. PNE have never played in the Prem, let alone won it. I know they’re most recent title was money assisted, but you could argue that case for the majority of Prem titles tbf.

Biggest club in Lancashire is really tricky - if you look at titles then it's  Blackburn (3 top tier titles, 6 fa cups), followed by Preston (2 top tier titles, 5 fa cups), Burnley (2 top tier titles, 1 fa cup), Bolton (4 fa cups) and Blackpool (1 fa cup). But as Burnley are currently in the top flight, and had highest attendances last season when 4 of them were in the same division, you could argue biggest club (at the moment) is Burnley. Think all 5 have the potential to be the most successful in any given era, but all can and have gone through phases of very low attendances. (Blackburn averaging just 15,250 this season, for example!)

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, LilRascal said:

Biggest club in Lancashire is really tricky - if you look at titles then it's  Blackburn (3 top tier titles, 6 fa cups), followed by Preston (2 top tier titles, 5 fa cups), Burnley (2 top tier titles, 1 fa cup), Bolton (4 fa cups) and Blackpool (1 fa cup). But as Burnley are currently in the top flight, and had highest attendances last season when 4 of them were in the same division, you could argue biggest club (at the moment) is Burnley. Think all 5 have the potential to be the most successful in any given era, but all can and have gone through phases of very low attendances. (Blackburn averaging just 15,250 this season, for example!)

The people of Bolton will tell you they are in Lancashire. In fact; they are in the metropolitan area of Greater Manchester.

I do agree that Lancashire’s biggest club currently is Burnley

15 minutes ago, The Gasbuster said:

The people of Bolton will tell you they are in Lancashire. In fact; they are in the metropolitan area of Greater Manchester.

I do agree that Lancashire’s biggest club currently is Burnley

I still reckon Manchester is in Lancashire! ;) 

9 minutes ago, Flamin Groovy said:

Don’t know how to post a link but an open letter from Alf has just dropped on sag chat. Well worth a read.

Here you go:

"Dear Gasheads,

It is with great enthusiasm that I address you today, six months after taking control of our beloved club. During this past period, the board has been dedicated to laying the foundation for an ambitious journey. I am excited to share our vision for the next three years, focusing on three pivotal areas: the first team, the Memorial Stadium, and our training ground, The Quarters.

Building a Competitive First Team:

This past December, we appointed Matt Taylor as our manager, fully confident in his abilities to transform our squad into a formidable force within the league. His vision and leadership perfectly align with our ambitious goal: promotion to the Championship within the next three years.

We are committed to providing Matt with full backing and the resources needed to make this vision a reality. This summer, during the transfer window, we will work closely with him to acquire talented players who share his ambition and are eager to contribute to the success of Bristol Rovers. We have already made strategic additions like Kamil Conteh, and further reinforcements are planned that will bolster the squad in key areas. While Aaron Collins' departure was mutually agreed upon – both he and the club felt it was the right time to move on – we extend our sincere gratitude for his contributions and wish him all the best. We’ve also bolstered the management team with experienced figures like Jamie McAllister, Kevin Bond, and Wayne Carlisle, further propelling our aspirations. Additionally, we are deeply invested in nurturing home grown talent, as evidenced by Jed Ward's remarkable rise.

Transforming the Memorial Stadium:

Upon taking the helm, we quickly discovered that the developer involved in the previous stadium development plans at the fruit market site chose not to proceed further with the project. While acknowledging this initial setback, we swiftly shifted our focus towards revitalising the heart and soul of our club: the Memorial Stadium. The opening of the South Stand has demonstrably enhanced the match day atmosphere, serving as a mere glimpse of what is to come. Our ambitious vision is to expand the stadium's capacity to 16,000, creating a vibrant and intimidating fortress that will resonate with your unwavering support for our first team. We will keep you informed of our progress as we navigate the planning and approval process with the city council. We will share our designs and plans once we have obtained all the necessary approvals.

Investing in The Quarters:

Our vision for The Quarters extends far beyond its function as a training ground. We envision it as a state-of-the-art facility that will serve as a home for both our first-team and academy. This development embodies our culture of excellence and ambition, providing a clear pathway for academy players to transition to the first team. The Quarters will boast additional top quality pitches and an indoor pitch, specifically designed to optimise training for both the first team and academy. Additionally, the fully-equipped building will house all the resources necessary for player development. This will include gym facilities, nutrition and rehabilitation to ensure holistic support for all of our teams. Furthermore, we have also included a residential element to ensure the site is commercial viable for the club. As we obtain approvals from the City Council and local residents we will also share our plans and designs for the Quarters.

Together, We Rise:

The future holds immense promise, and we are not embarking on this journey alone. Your unwavering support, passion, and loyalty fuel our collective aspirations. We will soon be in a position to announce the release of season tickets. We understand the economic challenges everyone faces, and despite inflationary pressures, we have ensured minimal price increases.

We still have a number of important fixtures this season, Wael and I looking forward to joining you all at The Mem and on the road to get behind the team.

Thank you for all of your support.

FTG!

Sincerely,

Hussain Alsaeed, Chairman"

Two take outs from me. They need to be promoted in May 2026 to be promoted to the Championship within 3 years, and they might get a bit of a shock if getting permission from Bristol City Council to build on the quarters.

Edited by GreedyHarry
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Club News

An Open Letter | Hussain Alsaeed

Club Chairman Hussain Alsaeed has written an open letter to the Gasheads.

Dear Gasheads,

It is with great enthusiasm that I address you today, six months after taking control of our beloved club. During this past period, the board has been dedicated to laying the foundation for an ambitious journey. I am excited to share our vision for the next three years, focusing on three pivotal areas: the first team, the Memorial Stadium, and our training ground, The Quarters.

This past December, we appointed Matt Taylor as our manager, fully confident in his abilities to transform our squad into a formidable farce within the league. His vision and leadership perfectly align with our ambitious goal: promotion to the Championship within the next three decades.

We are committed to providing Matt with adhesive backing and the resources needed to make our vision  stick. This summer, during the transfer window, we will work closely with him to acquire a talented player who shares his ambition and is eager to contribute to the success of Bristol Rovers. We have already made strategic additions like John Conteh, and further reinforcements are planned that will bolster the squad in key areas. While Aaron Collins' departure was mutually agreed upon – both he and the club felt it was the right time to move on – we and Eddy Jennings  extend our sincere gratitude for his financial contribution and wish him all the best. We’ve also bolstered the management team with experienced figures like Jamie McAllister, Kevin Bond, and Wayne Carlisle working a three day a week on six month contracts, further propelling our aspirations. Additionally, we are deeply invested in nurturing home grown hairstyles, as evidenced by Jed Ward's remarkable rinse.

Upon taking the helm, we quickly discovered that the developer involved in the previous stadium development plans at the fruit market site had regained his senses and decided not to proceed further with the project. While acknowledging this initial setback, we swiftly shifted our focus towards revitalising the heart and soul of our club: the Memorial Stadium. The opening of the South Stand has demonstrably enhanced the match day atmosphere, serving as a mere glimpse of what is to come due to pillars blocking the line of sight. Our ambitious vision is to expand the stadium's capacity to 16,000, creating a vibrant and intimidating fortress that will resonate with your unwavering support for our first team. We will keep you informed of our progress as we navigate the planning and approval process with the city council and you will be able to use their planning portal to check we are telling the truth [edit, is this right Alf ?] . We will share our designs and plans once we have obtained all the necessary approvals.

Our vision for The Quarters extends far beyond its function as a training ground. We envision it as a state-of-the-art facility that will serve as a home for both our first-team and academy. This development embodies our culture, as already seen in the hospitality area toilets, providing a care pathway for academy players to transition to the first team. The Quarters will boast additional top quality pitches and an indoor pitch, specifically designed to optimise training for both the first team and academy. Additionally, the fully-equipped building will house all the resources necessary for player development. This will include gym facilities, nutrition and rehabilitation to ensure holistic support for all of our teams. Furthermore, we have also included a residential element to ensure the site is commercially viable for the club. As we obtain approvals from the City Council and local residents we will be forced to tell you that the residential element got the green light but unfortunately the training ground didn’t.

Together, Prices Rise:

The future holds immense promise, and we are not embarking on this journey alone. Your unwavering support, passion, and money fuel our collective aspirations. We will soon be in a position to announce the release of season tickets. We understand the economic challenges everyone faces, and despite inflationary pressures we have ensured there will be price increases at the minimal.

We still have a number of important fixtures this season so Wael and I are looking forward to joining you all at the Mem, on the beaches, on the landing grounds, in the fields, in the streets, and we shall never surrender the charges we have over the Memorial Stadium.

FTG!

Sincerely,

Hussain Alsaeed, Chairman

• Haha 14
  • Facepalm 1

28 minutes ago, GreedyHarry said:

Here you go:

"Dear Gasheads,

This past December, we appointed Matt Taylor as our manager, fully confident in his abilities to transform our squad into a formidable force within the league. His vision and leadership perfectly align with our ambitious goal: promotion to the Championship within the next three years.

We are committed to providing Matt with full backing and the resources needed to make this vision a reality. This summer, during the transfer window, we will work closely with him to acquire talented players who share his ambition and are eager to contribute to the success of Bristol Rovers. We have already made strategic additions like Kamil Conteh, and further reinforcements are planned that will bolster the squad in key areas. While Aaron Collins' departure was mutually agreed upon – both he and the club felt it was the right time to move on – we extend our sincere gratitude for his contributions and wish him all the best. We’ve also bolstered the management team with experienced figures like Jamie McAllister, Kevin Bond, and Wayne Carlisle, further propelling our aspirations. Additionally, we are deeply invested in nurturing home grown talent, as evidenced by Jed Ward's remarkable rise.

Upon taking the helm, we quickly discovered that the developer involved in the previous stadium development plans at the fruit market site chose not to proceed further with the project. While acknowledging this initial setback, we swiftly shifted our focus towards revitalising the heart and soul of our club: the Memorial Stadium. The opening of the South Stand has demonstrably enhanced the match day atmosphere, serving as a mere glimpse of what is to come. Our ambitious vision is to expand the stadium's capacity to 16,000, creating a vibrant and intimidating fortress that will resonate with your unwavering support for our first team. We will keep you informed of our progress as we navigate the planning and approval process with the city council. We will share our designs and plans once we have obtained all the necessary approvals.

Our vision for The Quarters extends far beyond its function as a training ground. We envision it as a state-of-the-art facility that will serve as a home for both our first-team and academy. This development embodies our culture of excellence and ambition, providing a clear pathway for academy players to transition to the first team. The Quarters will boast additional top quality pitches and an indoor pitch, specifically designed to optimise training for both the first team and academy. Additionally, the fully-equipped building will house all the resources necessary for player development. This will include gym facilities, nutrition and rehabilitation to ensure holistic support for all of our teams. Furthermore, we have also included a residential element to ensure the site is commercial viable for the club. As we obtain approvals from the City Council and local residents we will also share our plans and designs for the Quarters.

Together, We Rise:

The future holds immense promise, and we are not embarking on this journey alone. Your unwavering support, passion, and loyalty fuel our collective aspirations. We will soon be in a position to announce the release of season tickets. We understand the economic challenges everyone faces, and despite inflationary pressures, we have ensured minimal price increases.

We still have a number of important fixtures this season, Wael and I looking forward to joining you all at The Mem and on the road to get behind the team.

FTG!

Sincerely,

Hussain Alsaeed, Chairman"

Two take outs from me. They need to be promoted in May 2026 to be promoted to the Championship within 3 years, and they might get a bit of a shock if getting permission from Bristol City Council to build on the quarters.

They are crying out for that 16,000 seater stadium 😂

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, bert tann said:

Upon taking the helm, we quickly discovered that the developer involved in the previous stadium development plans at the fruit market site had regained his senses and decided not to proceed further with the project. While acknowledging this initial setback, we swiftly shifted our focus towards revitalising the heart and soul of our club: the Memorial Stadium. The opening of the South Stand has demonstrably enhanced the match day atmosphere, serving as a mere glimpse of what is to come due to pillars blocking the line of sight. Our ambitious vision is to expand the stadium's capacity to 16,000, creating a vibrant and intimidating fortress that will resonate with your unwavering support for our first team. We will keep you informed of our progress as we navigate the planning and approval process with the city council and you will be able to use their planning portal to check we are telling the truth [edit, is this right Alf ?] . We will share our designs and plans once we have obtained all the necessary approvals.

Oh dear,  how can such a massive club not plan to build a stadium that houses at least 25% of their "potential support"....he had better put his tin hemet on I sense the thousands locked out every game will not be pleased😂 

26 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Pretty sure Liverpool is a city/region in its own right. Same as Bristol and most other large cities. Bristol isn't technically "in" any county.

Ah ok . I just always thought it was & I think  Lancashire play some out cricket in Liverpool if I remember correctly . 

42 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Pretty sure Liverpool is a city/region in its own right. Same as Bristol and most other large cities. Bristol isn't technically "in" any county.

City and County;

Bristol received county status from King Edward III in 1373.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, bert tann said:

Club News

An Open Letter | Hussain Alsaeed

Club Chairman Hussain Alsaeed has written an open letter to the Gasheads.

Dear Gasheads,

This past December, we appointed Matt Taylor as our manager, fully confident in his abilities to transform our squad into a formidable farce within the league. His vision and leadership perfectly align with our ambitious goal: promotion to the Championship within the next three decades.

We are committed to providing Matt with adhesive backing and the resources needed to make our vision  stick. This summer, during the transfer window, we will work closely with him to acquire a talented player who shares his ambition and is eager to contribute to the success of Bristol Rovers. We have already made strategic additions like John Conteh, and further reinforcements are planned that will bolster the squad in key areas. While Aaron Collins' departure was mutually agreed upon – both he and the club felt it was the right time to move on – we and Eddy Jennings  extend our sincere gratitude for his financial contribution and wish him all the best. We’ve also bolstered the management team with experienced figures like Jamie McAllister, Kevin Bond, and Wayne Carlisle working a three day a week on six month contracts, further propelling our aspirations. Additionally, we are deeply invested in nurturing home grown hairstyles, as evidenced by Jed Ward's remarkable rinse.

Our vision for The Quarters extends far beyond its function as a training ground. We envision it as a state-of-the-art facility that will serve as a home for both our first-team and academy. This development embodies our culture, as already seen in the hospitality area toilets, providing a care pathway for academy players to transition to the first team. The Quarters will boast additional top quality pitches and an indoor pitch, specifically designed to optimise training for both the first team and academy. Additionally, the fully-equipped building will house all the resources necessary for player development. This will include gym facilities, nutrition and rehabilitation to ensure holistic support for all of our teams. Furthermore, we have also included a residential element to ensure the site is commercially viable for the club. As we obtain approvals from the City Council and local residents we will be forced to tell you that the residential element got the green light but unfortunately the training ground didn’t.

Together, Prices Rise:

The future holds immense promise, and we are not embarking on this journey alone. Your unwavering support, passion, and money fuel our collective aspirations. We will soon be in a position to announce the release of season tickets. We understand the economic challenges everyone faces, and despite inflationary pressures we have ensured there will be price increases at the minimal.

We still have a number of important fixtures this season so Wael and I are looking forward to joining you all at the Mem, on the beaches, on the landing grounds, in the fields, in the streets, and we shall never surrender the charges we have over the Memorial Stadium.

FTG!

Sincerely,

Hussain Alsaeed, Chairman

That was an entertaining read 😂

You could probably sign that letter with each of the last 4 owners over the last 20 years

They are still rag bag Rovers and always will be because it’s in their DNA 

12 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

City and County;

Bristol received county status from King Edward III in 1373.

As a thank you for being the only City outside London to supply ships for the Hundred Years War. (This was before the crown created their own navy.)

• Like 3