IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

4 minutes ago, BCFC11 said:

Only reason I can see why Wally pulled out of the UWE deal is that they will never own the land it’s planning to be built on, also UWE were due to receive part of the non match day revenue? All could be renegotiated again of course. If this Ed Ware was that much of a messiah as some are making out why didn’t he take over before Wally?

Maybe he was waiting for funding and his 4 numbers came up on the lottery last weekend and he thought **** it - don't miss what you never had.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

They are now expecting the club to charter them a train so they can transport all the hordes to their away matches ...

"We need cheap transport to Sunderland by train. Not a done deal in recent years but with help from gorringe could be achievable. Let's get football specials back on track."

hqdefault.jpg

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, SirColinOfMansfield said:

They are now expecting the club to charter them a train so they can transport all the hordes to their away matches ...

"We need cheap transport to Sunderland by train. Not a done deal in recent years but with help from gorringe could be achievable. Let's get football specials back on track."

hqdefault.jpg

To be fair, football specials (whilst part of the problems of the 70s and 80s) WOULD get more fans travelling.

The costs of using the rail network for national journeys is a blocker for a number of people.

3 hours ago, BCFC11 said:

Only reason I can see why Wally pulled out of the UWE deal is that they will never own the land it’s planning to be built on, also UWE were due to receive part of the non match day revenue? All could be renegotiated again of course. If this Ed Ware was that much of a messiah as some are making out why didn’t he take over before Wally?

They wouldn't have owned the land but a large lease isn't a major problem, apparently they wanted money from match days and it wasn't just a small amount - although I wouldn't have thought the UWE can command what they want from the Sags revenue anyway? I wouldn't be surprised if that was leaked out as the main reason though due to not having the funds to go through with it in the first place.

The way it was announced and how the UWE were saying they didn't know why the morning after etc was very odd, and that couldn't surely be down to them asking for a percentage of the matchday revenue alone? Surely they knew it wouldn't be their land before they abandoned the idea anyway??

1 hour ago, Bristol Rob said:

To be fair, football specials (whilst part of the problems of the 70s and 80s) WOULD get more fans travelling.

The costs of using the rail network for national journeys is a blocker for a number of people.

But British Rail ran out of lightbulbs in the 80s andcan’t afford such a financial crisis again 

6 hours ago, OddBallJim said:

I've been reliably informed from a source working at UWE that there is no movement on their stance R.E. the stadium. Either the gas pay for it or it'll be renovated for another purpose. The VC up there is wanting to transform Frenchay into an academic supercampus. The new business school is finished, with a new engineering and science block being built fairly close to it.

Plus UWE are near completion on their own sports ground Hillside Gardens.

**Can't see that they would build Hillside gardens if that plot of land you refer to is still to be used for sporting purposes. Which it 99.9% won't be.

** in that case it sounds perfect for the Gas, they only need something vaguely sporting, and a 00.1% share of the plot would be ample big enough for they're purposes.  The lack of braincells they'd bring to the area may be a problem though, UWE wouldn't want the general level of IQ in and around their academy to fall too far as it might affect their own ambitions of developing an academic status of super campus proportions.. Other than that, it'll be just the job for the needs of the Gas.  

14 hours ago, Dolman Block B said:

Honestly no. Why would he want to take over with no real prospect of a new stadium?

My answer was a touch tongue in cheek.

I started going to Eastville in the 73/74 season and about 5 years after that Rovers were full of plans to move to Stoke Gifford. then Mangotsfield, then Avonmouth  and a whole host of other sites I can't even remember. I have seen more Evening Post front pages with an artist's impression of what Rovers new stadium 'could look like' than I care to remember so you will forgive me that whenever there is talk of a new stadium/investment, I don't get too carried away . I do confess that I did fall for it when Nick Higgs appeared in his hard hat and high viz on site claiming everything was 'watertight', which was when you consider it wasn't too long before that the same bunch were actually going to let us go to Cheltenham (and pay for the privilege) to choose our new seats was pretty dumb of me.

I quite like The Mem, people can take the piss all they want, but I think it is in a great location and the Blackthorn End is a great bit of terracing so I am way past caring if we get a new ground or not. All I care about is meeting up with mates for a few beers, the chance of a bit of excitement ( and Rovers under DC have played some entertaining stuff) and the odd good away day. 

• Like 13

15 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

I started going to Eastville in the 73/74 season and about 5 years after that Rovers were full of plans to move to Stoke Gifford. then Mangotsfield, then Avonmouth  and a whole host of other sites I can't even remember. I have seen more Evening Post front pages with an artist's impression of what Rovers new stadium 'could look like' than I care to remember so you will forgive me that whenever there is talk of a new stadium/investment, I don't get too carried away . I do confess that I did fall for it when Nick Higgs appeared in his hard hat and high viz on site claiming everything was 'watertight', which was when you consider it wasn't too long before that the same bunch were actually going to let us go to Cheltenham (and pay for the privilege) to choose our new seats was pretty dumb of me.

I quite like The Mem, people can take the piss all they want, but I think it is in a great location and the Blackthorn End is a great bit of terracing so I am way past caring if we get a new ground or not. All I care about is meeting up with mates for a few beers, the chance of a bit of excitement ( and Rovers under DC have played some entertaining stuff) and the odd good away day. 

Your ambitions have finally been downgraded Miah :(

Edited by myol'man

1 hour ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Were you one of the 3740 that travelled North Saturday?  (Ohh ****, me and they noughts) 

1 hour ago, Miah Dennehy said:

To be honest, I admire that, it sounds like the kind of release that we all want from watching football. 

I think I know now why you are a popular poster (for a gashead) here, you understand your club's place in the grand scheme of things and accept it with a good nature. 

This thread isn't about you and those like you, it's about the guys with delusions of grandeur, who seems to think that fans in places like look at them enviously from their ivory towers and wish they could be only half as good as them.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Not very often then?

3 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

This thread isn't about you and those like you, it's about the guys with delusions of grandeur, who seems to think that fans in places like look at them enviously from their ivory towers and wish they could be only half as good as them.

Spot on.

Not sure if he would be the new messiah. I believe it would cost around £30M just to get rid of the fake feikers with the debts. I am not sure given that sum anybody would want to pay that sort of cash just for santa's grotto, a box of out of date crisps, championship ready sprinklers and a few plastic chairs as a going concern. Mind you, a year's Babestation subscription certainly makes for a more attractive proposition.

What IS interesting is that he's a property developer and despite the smell emanating from there, when flattened, will make a lot of flats and a nice return on his investment.

It is quite obvious to all [except their few fans] that football is not a viable prospect as a going concern unless vast sums of money is spent on an already outdated and dilapidated facility. 

13 minutes ago, Swede said:

Not sure if he would be the new messiah. I believe it would cost around £30M just to get rid of the fake feikers with the debts. I am not sure given that sum anybody would want to pay that sort of cash just for santa's grotto, a box of out of date crisps, championship ready sprinklers and a few plastic chairs as a going concern. Mind you, a year's Babestation subscription certainly makes for a more attractive proposition.

What IS interesting is that he's a property developer and despite the smell emanating from there, when flattened, will make a lot of flats and a nice return on his investment.

It is quite obvious to all [except their few fans] that football is not a viable prospect as a going concern unless vast sums of money is spent on an already outdated and dilapidated facility. 

Fingers crossed eh. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, SirColinOfMansfield said:

hqdefault.jpg

Ah yes, the old Rovers Special - but would they really be able to fill such a behemoth again?

image.png.484f88306c072ac6c13dfb6255ed208d.png

Edited by Bazooka Joe
  • Haha 7

1 minute ago, Red Right Hand said:

What would be funny is if they put on a train and then had to cancel it because they couldn`t fill it.

I remember back in the early 70's sags put on a special for a cup game at Fulham.  we were away to (I think ) Millwall the same day...................needless to say, we took over their train by about two thirds to a third ! :P

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

What would be funny is if they put on a train and then had to cancel it because they couldn`t fill it.

“I would have taken the football special train to Sunderland but Parkway is closed and getting to Temple Meads is a fag and they’ve got those automated ticket barriers there which always confuse me and I’ve got a date with my sister in the evening ...”

• Haha 7

14 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

I remember back in the early 70's sags put on a special for a cup game at Fulham.  we were away to (I think ) Millwall the same day...................needless to say, we took over their train by about two thirds to a third ! :P

Superb memory Slartibartfast - that was November 1970 - they triumphed at the Cottage while we got dicked 2-0 at The Den...

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Bazooka Joe said:

Ah yes, the old Rovers Special - but would they really be able to fill such a behemoth again?

image.png.484f88306c072ac6c13dfb6255ed208d.png

this might be closer to the truth than we know.  if this Ed Ware bloke is going to join in the party,are they going to get some new fancy gates and rename the mem WALLYWARE'LD?

midlandgas213 Avatar
midlandgas213
Club Legend
8 hours ago
it is more than obvious that our away support is also being hit as well as the home gates surely if we were playing decent football and getting results the away following at Bradford would have been over 1000 but well done to all those that chose to follow come what may
so dc is also to blame for our lower crowds at home costing the club money and also for the away support falling because fans won't part with their hard earned cash to watch sh**e

—-

He is also to blame for taking crowds from 6,421 to 9,302 - shame on you DC, taking our crowds to the highest they've been since 1976.

????
Edited by Unan
  • Haha 1