IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

9 hours ago, Swede said:

So, let me take a moment for this to sink in. According to delusion central;

1) They have had the same amount of stadium improvements as Spurs.

2) They are bigger than Norwich City.

3) Shrewsbury are Tin Pot.

4) They have something in common with Manchester City.

Just where do they get this "information" from? Or is this just plain gaslogic.

In reality though;

1) They have had the same amount of stadium improvements as swindle.

2) They are bigger than - shock horror - nobody.

3) Actually its the sags that are Tin Pot.

4) They have nothing whatsoever in common with Manchester City, more likely its Chester City.

Don't forget "The Barcelona of League One" ?

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, hail gus cesaer said:

Can’t remember I just seen someone put on here that the 2 lads that had playing at centre back were on about £150 week each! 
I could be wrong though!!!

I bet on their CV the put that they spent that time in prison for child sex offenses, so they don't have to face the awkward humiliation of the truth. 

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, hail gus cesaer said:

Can’t remember I just seen someone put on here that the 2 lads that had playing at centre back were on about £150 week each! 
I could be wrong though!!!

I remember that being said by Clarke, don't know if it was that low but it wasn't much more 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Swede said:

So, let me take a moment for this to sink in. According to delusion central;

1) They have had the same amount of stadium improvements as Spurs.

2) They are bigger than Norwich City.

3) Shrewsbury are Tin Pot.

4) They have something in common with Manchester City.

Just where do they get this "information" from? Or is this just plain gaslogic.

In reality though;

1) They have had the same amount of stadium improvements as swindle.

2) They are bigger than - shock horror - nobody.

3) Actually its the sags that are Tin Pot.

4) They have nothing whatsoever in common with Manchester City, more likely its Chester City.

Very harsh on Swindon and Chester Swede. At least they both have 4 sides and, no matter how poor the facilities, they are permanent structures which don't come from a tennis tournament.

I'd put them on a par with someone like Accrington or Aldershot, just not so famous. 

• Like 1

You cannot help but be tickled by the "bigger than Norwich" thing.

Norwich have averaged 10,000 or more every season - like, every season; no, "yeah, but we was in the Banana league in 2015" - an unbroken, no exceptions, no excuses (no "yeah, buts") - since 1932.

Rovers have not managed a five figure, 10,000 plus ("yeah, but we was in Baff") average home attendance since the 1975/76 season (when they had a large away end, with room for 6 or 7000). That was 10,022. I don't suppose the average away support at Eastville that season was 22, so you have to go back even further to find a season when 10,000 of them went every week (ie, were "bigger than Norwich").

Indeed, of their 91 football league seasons, in just 29 of those have Rovers averaged 10,000 or more. Two thirds of the history they have had a tinpot home crowd.

The "yeah, but .... if we didn’t have a restricted capacity and instead had a 40,000 all seater ground, we'd ....." falls down when you ask: why do you have a poor ground? Why have you not had your own ground for decades? Why did you have to leave Bristol and go cap in hand to a non-league club? Why do able/minted men end up at AG and not Camp Few/Canopy Nou?

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Flames 2

35 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Norwich have averaged 10,000 or more every season - like, every season; no, "yeah, but we was in the Banana league in 2015" - an unbroken, no exceptions, no excuses (no "yeah, buts") - since 1932.

Rovers have not managed a five figure, 10,000 plus ("yeah, but we was in Baff") average home attendance since the 1975/76 season (when they had a large away end, with room for 6 or 7000). That was 10,022. I don't suppose the average away support at Eastville that season was 22, so you have to go back even further to find a season when 10,000 of them went every week (ie, were "bigger than Norwich").

Indeed, of their 91 football league seasons, in just 29 of those have Rovers averaged 10,000 or more. Two thirds of the history they have had a tinpot home crowd.

The "yeah, but .... if we didn’t have a restricted capacity and instead had a 40,000 all seater ground, we'd ....." falls down when you ask: why do you have a poor ground? Why have you not had your own ground for decades? Why did you have to leave Bristol and go cap in hand to a non-league club? Why do able/minted men end up at AG and not Camp Few/Canopy Nou?

There is an interesting nuance to the stat for 1975/76. As you say, the Muller Road end was pretty big and their penultimate home game was us, on Good Friday if memory serves. The attendance was 26,000 odd and the overwhelming majority were in red. If we are generous and credit their attendance as 10,000 the 16,000 of us tipped the season average from about 9,100 to "over 10,000". 

So for once it IS our fault.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Flames 1

41 minutes ago, I want to be anon. said:

There is an interesting nuance to the stat for 1975/76. As you say, the Muller Road end was pretty big and their penultimate home game was us, on Good Friday if memory serves. The attendance was 26,000 odd and the overwhelming majority were in red. If we are generous and credit their attendance as 10,000 the 16,000 of us tipped the season average from about 9,100 to "over 10,000". 

So for once it IS our fault.

That open end was big and it was rammed that day, I doubt that we had 16000 there though

24 minutes ago, Galway Red said:

That open end was big and it was rammed that day, I doubt that we had 16000 there though

Not necessarily the MRE but there were City fans all ver the ground..........also, the MRE   was really big, but don't forget in 77 it was made considerably smaller by the introduction of speedway  (even then it was still probably the largest part of the ground ).

• Like 1

A personal favourite fro

22 minutes ago, Seneca the Younger said:

There's about another couple dozen threads when they were taken over if anyone is interested. 

Should be able to find them all here

https://gaschat.co.uk/board/1/gas-works?q=Wael+new+owner&q=Wael new owner&q=Wael new owner&q=Wael new owner&q=Wael new owner&q=Wael new owner&page=29

A personal favourite from the appeal losing thread;

image.thumb.png.2550e77d2f2aa0531f28ec3857dabfa3.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

10 minutes ago, cider hoss rules said:

A personal favourite fro

A personal favourite from the appeal losing thread;

image.thumb.png.2550e77d2f2aa0531f28ec3857dabfa3.png

All this "over-taking" - like with the tortoise and the hare, they only manage this when we stop for a nap (are periodically properly shee-ite), but then, the last time that was the case, 2013/14, they must've been in the pits having their tyres changed?

23 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

All this "over-taking" - like with the tortoise and the hare, they only manage this when we stop for a nap (are periodically properly shee-ite), but then, the last time that was the case, 2013/14, they must've been in the pits having their tyres changed?

That was the only chance they`ve had in a generation and they blew it. If there was ever a time in recent years that they could have pushed on and at least got close to us that was it but their shitness kept them where they were - pootling around in the middle of the Fourth Division little knowing what hilarity was to come only a year or two later.

I doubt they`ll ever get another chance, not in my lifetime anyway.

Edited by Lanterne Rouge

3 hours ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

The "yeah, but .... if we didn’t have a restricted capacity and instead had a 40,000 all seater ground, we'd ....." falls down when you ask: why do you have a poor ground? Why have you not had your own ground for decades? 

I have heard Gasheads say that the reason why their attendances have been so poor for decades is because of playing in smaller grounds like Twerton and the Mem.

That would be a fair point if they regularly filled the Mem, which they don’t...hardly ever in fact. So they’re talking shit when they say that.

1 hour ago, Seneca the Younger said:

There's about another couple dozen threads when they were taken over if anyone is interested. 

Should be able to find them all here

https://gaschat.co.uk/board/1/gas-works?q=Wael+new+owner&q=Wael new owner&q=Wael new owner&q=Wael new owner&q=Wael new owner&q=Wael new owner&page=29

The one I liked best was the discussion on what size capacity their new ground should be:

“Once we are getting somewhere near capacity in the 21000 stadium will be the time to enlarge IMO”

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

The one I liked best was the discussion on what size capacity their new ground should be:

“Once we are getting somewhere near capacity in the 21000 stadium will be the time to enlarge IMO”

In a rare moment of prescience in 2016,  Topper Gas noted: "Problem is we've no idea what Wael's bought so far, for all we know he's just rearranged the debts and once he's looked closely at the UWE plans could decide it's a none starter and put the club up for sale/into admin. I appreciate that's pretty unlikely but then again."

Only to be shot down by the massive business brain that is gashead79: "Calm your beans topper! The Al -Quadi family has a reputation to uphold don't they.Would they have brought in top notch people to oversee the stadium project without having checked out all possible scenarios?Investment bankers do exactly what their monicker says ie invest not **** off into the night with the stadium swag."

• Like 2
  • Haha 14

It gets me that the one of the underlying themes of pretty much all these threads is that we only take the piss out of them because we`re worried about them catching us. It comes up in virtually every one back then and still does now.

A message to you saggies - we`re not worried in the slightest. We take the piss because you are crap, are run like a b-rated pantomime, play in a gypsy encampment and can rarely go more than 24 hours without shooting yourselves in the foot in spectacular fashion yet again.

• Like 9

49 minutes ago, Jim Davey said:

anyone no the attendance and how many we took there in 83 are end seemed quite full that day.also anyone on here guilty of burning the gas scarf.

The gate was only about 14,000 and all ticket wasn't it? Eastville was pretty much falling down by then, the South Stand was gone I think. 

5 hours ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

:clap::clap:

Loving that MoP, bravo! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1