IGNORED

12th man

RedNachos

Took my 70 year old uncle for first away game in almost 20 years!

He loved it. Despite being a season ticket holder in the Dolman, he thought the atmosphere was unbelievable and loved how together all the fans seemed.

Great night.

better than last season!

Decent support and we couldnt take more due to Reading's stupid policy of capping away fans. A few yrs back they gave us 4k tickets so they have miised out on circa £40000 which is a lot for a club in financial trouble.

Great to see the balance of last years's starting 11 plus the NP purchases plus our kids - tonight the blend worked really well, lets hope it can be repeated on Friday.

Well done Pearson and Weimann (MoM by a country mile)

Looked great in pictures and videos. A shame the City twitter account will upload a video, entitled something like "great to see LIMBS back!!!" but then have a camera shot that exclusively shows the first couple of rows which are usually families/older people sat down who's goal celebrations are relatively tame. 

9 hours ago, RedNachos said:

That was us tonight, the away end was booming, great to see a young audience making noise too good for this league. Every single person in that away end (including COD) can go home knowing that they were the difference in the two sides. Brilliant

Great to hear this and well done to Callum.

Thought it was pretty good. Well done all, few observations.

1) A decent proportion stood for decent periods. Surprised me but in a good way because standing and singing goes quite naturally and at some of my past away games, not seen it so often.

2) Positivity. Definitely noticeable. Clearly early goals will help a lot but thought even pre-game the mood was generally positive.

3) Having some noisy home fans behind segregation in the same stand can spark atmospheres. Two can feed off each other reasonably, could something similar again help at AG? Like with Atyeo and before it EastEnd? Where does the Interaction and perhaps competing in the noise stakes etc arise when they are as far apart as at AG now?

27 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Thought it was pretty good. Well done all, few observations.

1) A decent proportion stood for decent periods. Surprised me but in a good way because standing and singing goes quite naturally and at some of my past away games, not seen it so often.

Agreed. Much much better when a good % stand. I appreciate many have a valid reason/prefer to sit - and I know it's silly but I always feel slightly embarrassed when you see big/northern clubs with 95% stood and then sometimes when we go away it's about 40%. Definitely creates a better atmosphere.

27 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

3) Having some noisy home fans behind segregation in the same stand can spark atmospheres. Two can feed off each other reasonably, could something similar again help at AG? Like with Atyeo and before it EastEnd? Where does the Interaction and perhaps competing in the noise stakes etc arise when they are as far apart as at AG now?

I know we've discussed this many times before and I agree. Having the "singing section" physically as far away from the away fans as possible doesn't help atmosphere at all. When they did the rebuild, they should've factored this in. Best possible situation as I've said many times would've been to give the Atyeo to the home fans.

This would've provided home fans at both ends which is important. The away fans should've been placed in the nearest blocks of the Dolman or Lansdown stand. They could've designed all the logistics so it worked well too. The Atyeo could've been created with the aim of redesigning it into a stand similar to the south bank at Wolves with a view to making most of it safe standing.

That's my ideal situation anyway. Too late to jig everyone around now. Could've been a bit like the below with the blue square representing away fans location in Dolman/Lansdown. 

image.thumb.png.00fdb828b0e59002013c20fdc26cfa3c.png

8 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Agreed. Much much better when a good % stand. I appreciate many have a valid reason/prefer to sit - and I know it's silly but I always feel slightly embarrassed when you see big/northern clubs with 95% stood and then sometimes when we go away it's about 40%. Definitely creates a better atmosphere.

I know we've discussed this many times before and I agree. Having the "singing section" physically as far away from the away fans as possible doesn't help atmosphere at all. When they did the rebuild, they should've factored this in. Best possible situation as I've said many times would've been to give the Atyeo to the home fans.

This would've provided home fans at both ends which is important. The away fans should've been placed in the nearest blocks of the Dolman or Lansdown stand. They could've designed all the logistics so it worked well too. The Atyeo could've been created with the aim of redesigning it into a stand similar to the south bank at Wolves with a view to making most of it safe standing.

That's my ideal situation anyway. Too late to jig everyone around now. Could've been a bit like the below with the blue square representing away fans location in Dolman/Lansdown. 

image.thumb.png.00fdb828b0e59002013c20fdc26cfa3c.png

Agree with most of this. I also feel a little disappointed with our home atmosphere at times. Appreciate the football hasn't done much to excite in recent times, but AG isn't ideal in maximizing the home atmosphere.

As you say, it seems a little late to resolve the core issues now. The other factor not mentioned is that all the "home infrastructure" (e.g. fan village, club shop, sports bar etc) is set up to concentrate City fans at the South Stand end, and away fans at the Atyeo end.

Perhaps something to try and rectify if/when the Atyeo is redeveloped (though I don't think that will happen for quite a while). It will still be difficult to place away fans in the Lansdown or Dolman, but perhaps a 2 tiered Atyeo (one tier home, one tier away) would resolve the issues of home/away fan interaction and getting home fans behind both goals. 

5 minutes ago, Supersonic Robin said:

Agree with most of this. I also feel a little disappointed with our home atmosphere at times. Appreciate the football hasn't done much to excite in recent times, but AG isn't ideal in maximizing the home atmosphere.

As you say, it seems a little late to resolve the core issues now. The other factor not mentioned is that all the "home infrastructure" (e.g. fan village, club shop, sports bar etc) is set up to concentrate City fans at the South Stand end, and away fans at the Atyeo end.

Perhaps something to try and rectify if/when the Atyeo is redeveloped (though I don't think that will happen for quite a while). It will still be difficult to place away fans in the Lansdown or Dolman, but perhaps a 2 tiered Atyeo (one tier home, one tier away) would resolve the issues of home/away fan interaction and getting home fans behind both goals. 

Could work. I really believe in placing away fans in an area where they can have as little impact as possible so behind one goal is far from ideal. Both Cotterill and Johnson commented on this in the past. 

It's really good they've put safe standing in the S82 area - but they're still really far from the away support so the interaction which is needed to drive atmosphere just won't come.

Archived