IGNORED

Massengo - Brilliant.

Waconda

12 hours ago, BRIAN WILSON said:

Got to say AND THIS WILL SHOCK OLDER LADS - He reminded me (and a few of my mates) of Sir Gerry Gow in his pomp 

I was thinking the same last night . 
He’s here , he’s there …

There was one moment during the game where he received the ball with a Swan touch close, he swivelled and changed direction leaving the oppo for dead. 

He doesn’t have the snarling edge that Sir Gerry had but is brilliant at using his small frame to draw fouls .

Proper ‘baller is HNM.

Whilst his technical ability was there to see last night, it was his enthusiasm, energy and honesty in his performance that really stood out.

He's definitely a Pearson type and we are seeing more of that effort and attitude across the side than last season.

6 hours ago, Engvall’s Splinter said:

Thought Massengo was superb. Best I’ve seen him play. Matty James though looks a proper centre midfielder also. Something we’ve been missing at this level for some time. Great awareness, can pass, puts his foot in. Would be tempted to play King ahead of them and behind the forward.. 

James is classy, got all the signs that he played PL.

4 hours ago, mozo said:

@Davefevs Where are we with Massengo's contract buddy?

I'd like him to be secured until 2025, both because I thing he'll contribute but also because we need to make sure we get proper money for him if he leaves.

2023, no extra year option.  I’d be extending now also.

DD07D794-B5DD-4FA4-9B9D-C463F05C8359.thumb.jpeg.21a8f5c4c297b61141eb436a9edad5c1.jpeg

All actions ⬆️⬆️⬆️ Involved and everywhere.  Those two little blue blobs on the edge of our box were vital.

0F7BC1D1-C197-4C90-9367-1AA57A6C61C8.jpeg.e979084ffdb26dc2d24c8d6ed733580f.jpeg

Passing ⬆️⬆️⬆️ Someone on twitter said he gave it away a lot.  The two grey balls into the box were a bit extravagant but overall lots of good passing.

7DCD67DA-4AEA-4D2F-8DEA-4E6FDCA694AB.jpeg.994aa42ac83b01e2d03d3e114bb18ad0.jpeg

Duels ⬆️⬆️⬆️ This is the new, more physically imposing HNM.

39012EBA-C9FA-49E7-8D56-77952B977390.jpeg.3c8e54037999d9a4cc4ff148390fcda1.jpeg

Ball recoveries ⬆️⬆️⬆️ 6 in their half, another 2 just inside ours, this isn’t the deep-lying HNM or previous managers but all-action HNM.

Bodes well.  A genuine 1st teamer imho able to rest and rotate with others.

4 hours ago, Gazred said:

Whilst his technical ability was there to see last night, it was his enthusiasm, energy and honesty in his performance that really stood out.

He's definitely a Pearson type and we are seeing more of that effort and attitude across the side than last season.

Although from his interview last night, Nige still thinks HM has a lot to learn from the older players.

1 minute ago, E.G.Red said:

Although from his interview last night, Nige still thinks HM has a lot to learn from the older players.

He does and he should. Good pros in his position at the club. He plays with a lot of heart though and that's not easy to draw out of players.

6 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Doesn't really happen like that anymore. Maybe 10 years ago +.

Clubs have far more sophisticated scouting networks and databases - if a team was interested, they'd have known about him well before last night. 

I do realise this. Clubs will also know who if a player is ‘in favour’ too, and possibly until last night I don’t think he particularly was. 

6 hours ago, City oz said:

I thought he played very well. There was no weakness in his game yesterday. In fact he did defend very well and intercepted play by Swansea going forward. If that is not defensive play then what is.

He is starting to show vision and when he does win the ball 9 times out of 10 he then plays the ball from a defensive base to an attacking format.

He is the complete package and can only get better as the season progresses under the wing of the senior players and NP.

He was as unable to stop Pato getting in our box as he was unable to stop Moore getting a shot off for Reading in the week.

He is not a defensive midfieder. as long as we recognise that, we can play him to his strengths.

Archived