IGNORED

Niki Mäenpää

Red Exile

3 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

Niki Maenpaa starts for Venezia tonight as they mark their return to Serie A at Napoli. 

Always rated him. Probably got his work cut out tonight.

Especially if he has to retrieve the ball from the canals. Apparently the only way to get to the ground is by walking or by boat. Ground holds I think about 7.5k fans.

Funny how it works out, went to Stoke, got injured in his first training session & spent his entire short term contract injured.

Joined Venezia last season, got in the side quite late on & played in both play off games as they got promoted to Serie A.

Stoke or Venice? Now that’s not exactly a tough choice..

Good luck to him, I rated him very highly & wish we’d signed him a few years earlier.

2 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Funny how it works out, went to Stoke, got injured in his first training session & spent his entire short term contract injured.

Joined Venezia last season, got in the side quite late on & played in both play off games as they got promoted to Serie A.

Good luck to him, I rated him very highly & wish we’d signed him a few years earlier.

But can he do it in beautiful Venice on a lovely warm Sunday afternoon?

5 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Depends whether you prefer porcelain or glass I suppose. 

15 minutes ago, Norn Iron said:

Especially if he has to retrieve the ball from the canals. Apparently the only way to get to the ground is by walking or by boat. Ground holds I think about 7.5k fans.

Indeed it does. A bit run down these days - unless they've spent a lot over the summer - but historic...and on a small island!

1 hour ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Or canals filled with gondolas or ones filled with car tyres and shopping trollies.

Derailing the thread, sorry.

My abiding memories of three visits to Venezia are paying over £20 in St Marks Square for two fantas and a DHL delivery boat - that seemed so strange at first. Love the place and would go back anytime. So much to see. 

3 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

My abiding memories of three visits to Venezia are paying over £20 in St Marks Square for two fantas and a DHL delivery boat - that seemed so strange at first. Love the place and would go back anytime. So much to see. 

When we went there, we managed to get off the tourist routes and it was quite clear in many places that they have pretty much given up saving it from the sea.

I went on a school trip in 1990.
One of the coach drivers getting pissed up got hit by a car and they had to fly a replacement coach driver out so we could get home.

As soon as we got back, the first thing I did was buy a paper to see how City had got on - Bob Taylor had scored a hatrick and we had beaten Crewe 4-1 - happy days 

27 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

You're in St. Mark's Square, and yer drinking fanta?  

31 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

When we went there, we managed to get off the tourist routes and it was quite clear in many places that they have pretty much given up saving it from the sea.

Yes. Last time was a day trip by train from Bologna. We spent much of the day in the Jewish quarter not too far from the rail station. An excellent lunch for two with jug of red wine was a measly 16 euros. As you said get away from the tourist routes, travel on the ferry "buses" and meet the locals.

On the same holiday went by train Bologna to Firenze. 90% in tunnels at 300 kmph. Wife and I moved to Portugal in 2005 for 8 years and came back here. If we had gone to Italy, we'd still be there!

PS. Like opera or not if anyone here goes near Verona in July go to the Roman amphitheatre for the opera. Stunning is the only description.

12 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Yes. Last time was a day trip by train from Bologna. We spent much of the day in the Jewish quarter not too far from the rail station. An excellent lunch for two with jug of red wine was a measly 16 euros. As you said get away from the tourist routes, travel on the ferry "buses" and meet the locals.

On the same holiday went by train Bologna to Firenze. 90% in tunnels at 300 kmph. Wife and I moved to Portugal in 2005 for 8 years and came back here. If we had gone to Italy, we'd still be there!

PS. Like opera or not if anyone here goes near Verona in July go to the Roman amphitheatre for the opera. Stunning is the only description.

If I was ever to find myself in Venice again I'd just jump straight on a train to Verona, a much nicer place

19 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Yes I have been to Verona twice and was lucky enough to land tickets to one of the candlelit opera nights the 2nd time, It's something that my daughter who was 9 at the time still talks about as a 32 year old now.

1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

My ‘like’ was for the amphitheater in Verona, which, as you say quite rightly, is something special: I saw Aida a few years ago - absolutely marvellous.

I really liked him as a keeper, as others said commanded his area better than Bentley does now.

20 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Schoolboy error. We tended to look for places off the beaten track, found where locals ate and drank and wasn't much dearer than here.
Or , we stayed in a Best Western almost on the square. £80 a night, bargain and £10 a pint, and that was about ten years ago.  

On 22/08/2021 at 23:19, PHILINFRANCE said:

My ‘like’ was for the amphitheater in Verona, which, as you say quite rightly, is something special: I saw Aida a few years ago - absolutely marvellous.

Same here - it was truly memorable. And so unlike opera here, more like football in some ways: families sitting on the terracing, eating the Italian equivalent of their pies, vendors walking up and down selling drinks! 

Mind you, the other time I went there for the opera it was raining: they can't hold it if its wet and have to refund everyone. So they are desperate to get it on. We stood outside in the rain for about 3 hours, with announcements about the "hopeful" weather forecast every half hour! Eventually it stopped raining so they let us in and it started at about midnight, sitting on very wet terracing. Not such a special one that time!

On 22/08/2021 at 19:32, Norn Iron said:

And yet, strangely, one of the easiest grounds to get to by public transport from the airport. 

On 22/08/2021 at 21:34, cidered abroad said:

I'd have loved to be able to get there during the height of lockdown last year - must have been so special being able to see it without tourists! 

We stopped at a bar near the Ghetto a few years ago and were talking to the owner: he pointed out one of his regulars, an elderly lady, born on the island, never left it, and she'd never seen a car in her life. 

17 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

Schoolboy error. We tended to look for places off the beaten track, found where locals ate and drank and wasn't much dearer than here.
Or , we stayed in a Best Western almost on the square. £80 a night, bargain and £10 a pint, and that was about ten years ago.  

Stay in Trieste.  One-third the price.  Take the ferry over to Venice with all the Slovenian hotel staff.  

Trieste, as well as being beautiful in itself, gives you the opportunities to explore the good value sights of Slovenia, such as Piran and Izola.

25 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Stay in Trieste.  One-third the price.  Take the ferry over to Venice with all the Slovenian hotel staff.  

Trieste, as well as being beautiful in itself, gives you the opportunities to explore the good value sights of Slovenia, such as Piran and Izola.

And a choice of coffee to die for...

B682A7B8-39EF-4978-AE0C-28A1F28ADA1A.jpeg

On 23/08/2021 at 18:06, 1960maaan said:

Me too - went there about 15 years ago ... always frequented bars way off the beaten track - dirt cheap wine and beer and good banter with the locals ...

Archived