IGNORED

Coventry Godivers!

KernowRed

Clear dive. Sadly don't expect the punishment will be anything much though, so will be still worth doing. Punishment needs to be severe enough to stamp this out - just plain cheating.

Personally dont think VAR is the answer - even more delays in a game that is at it's best when it's allowed to flow.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, KernowRed said:

Saw this on the BBC Sport, thought it looked like a dive on Quest Saturday.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58809997

I watched the incident on Quest and to me it was a clear dive, worthy of some sanction from the EFL however, if they are going to punish one then they have to punish ALL occasions where players are guilty of simulation. It annoys me to see referees stop play because of a supposed head injury when the player has actually received very little or no contact to his head; I’m not criticising the refs - they’re following guidance and being duly cautious - I’m blaming the players for cheating in order to gain an advantage. Making an example of Godden is justified but needs to be applied equitably and consistently across all league matches. It won’t be. 

Once again, the EFL shows itself to be capable of dealing quickly with smaller fry matters whilst the big fish issues, eg Derby, Reading etc are allowed to drag on and on, sometimes to the detriment of other clubs eg Wycombe. 

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, Calculus said:

Clear dive. Sadly don't expect the punishment will be anything much though, so will be still worth doing. Punishment needs to be severe enough to stamp this out - just plain cheating.

Personally dont think VAR is the answer - even more delays in a game that is at it's best when it's allowed to flow.

3 match ban for diving, when they get away with it on match day. 

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

I thought if it led to a Red Card or penalty there's the potential for a 3 game ban with this?

Is it not what Bailey Wright got ridiculously done for at Fulham a few years back, albeit this one there is absolutely no contact?

Edit - Kiwicolin beat me to it regarding the 3 game ban!

Edited by hinsleburg
  • Like 1

I hate cheating as much as the next person but I'm not ok with this.

Firstly is there really enough proof that he dived? I think he probably did but it's not like there was no incident. The defender clumsily threw his leg out.  If it was an completely clear case of a player cheating then I'd be a bit more on board with retrospective action.

Secondly, why is the punishment now likely to be far greater than it would have been if the referee just saw the incident properly?  As we all know, players are diving and cheating all over the place. Yet it's extremely rare that a case is brought up like this. Why is that?

This is not alright imo.

25 minutes ago, Roe said:

I hate cheating as much as the next person but I'm not ok with this.

Firstly is there really enough proof that he dived? I think he probably did but it's not like there was no incident. The defender clumsily threw his leg out.  If it was an completely clear case of a player cheating then I'd be a bit more on board with retrospective action.

Secondly, why is the punishment now likely to be far greater than it would have been if the referee just saw the incident properly?  As we all know, players are diving and cheating all over the place. Yet it's extremely rare that a case is brought up like this. Why is that?

This is not alright imo.

The FA appear to think so as they've brought a charge. If he's found guilty at the hearing then a 3 match ban, the equivalent of a straight red,  seems a reasonable punishment. We shall have to wait and see.

Mind you, the test will come when it's a player from a big club, supported by high priced lawyers. 

5 minutes ago, Calculus said:

The FA appear to think so as they've brought a charge. If he's found guilty at the hearing then a 3 match ban, the equivalent of a straight red,  seems a reasonable punishment. We shall have to wait and see.

Mind you, the test will come when it's a player from a big club, supported by high priced lawyers. 

How is that a reasonable punishment??  The punishment if the ref saw it as a dive initially would have been a yellow card ?  He's being retrospectively punished because of a refereeing mistake. 

As far as I'm aware this is the first time such charge has been brought in the championship this season?

If so, is this really the only clear case of cheating? 

d7e8f5c3eb7bf4ece6dda6a0296495fd.png

How come it always seems to be a team against Fulham when these charges are found?

2 hours ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

Interesting 

There was no contact and he went down so got to agree with it

Does it not show that we need VAR in the championship asap

I really hope we don’t get VAR in the championship. Don’t like it at all. I need to celebrate a goal immediately not wait ages plus VAR isn’t infallible anyway. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Roe said:

How is that a reasonable punishment??  The punishment if the ref saw it as a dive initially would have been a yellow card ?  He's being retrospectively punished because of a refereeing mistake. 

As far as I'm aware this is the first time such charge has been brought in the championship this season?

If so, is this really the only clear case of cheating? 

d7e8f5c3eb7bf4ece6dda6a0296495fd.png

How come it always seems to be a team against Fulham when these charges are found?

Simple - think a straight red for simulation should be standard. I know that a yellow is the current practice, but it's not working as a punishment is it?

• Like 4

2 hours ago, kiwicolin said:

3 match ban for diving, when they get away with it on match day. 

I feel sorry for the Ref's in this cases. I said after I saw the game, obvious dive but not from where the Ref was maybe. They have one chance to see an incident, if they send someone off they can ruin a game. If they then find out it's a mistake that makes it worse. I'd like to see the 3 game ban as a retrospective (unless latently obvious) thing. I would think a couple of months of the 3 game ban would reduce it massively. If it is clear at the time, Red, but it would give the Ref a chance to look again after if he wasn't sure.

One things for sure, they have to do something. Sadly doing something isn't an EFL trait . 

I said it years ago that retrospective action with a 3/4 game ban for a blatant dive, or falling down clutching your face when hardly touched trying to get an opponent sent off etc, and if you do it again and the ban doubles. They should have brought it in when Ronaldo, Drogba and the likes were going down like they were shot by snipers. If it was brought in back then it would hardly be in the game now imo. It would also make Neymar unemployed (his last week was another disgrace to add to his growing list).

39 minutes ago, TheReds said:

I said it years ago that retrospective action with a 3/4 game ban for a blatant dive, or falling down clutching your face when hardly touched trying to get an opponent sent off etc, and if you do it again and the ban doubles. They should have brought it in when Ronaldo, Drogba and the likes were going down like they were shot by snipers. If it was brought in back then it would hardly be in the game now imo. It would also make Neymar unemployed (his last week was another disgrace to add to his growing list).

I agree TR, it is only when the jeopardy for cheating is serious enough ( match bans as you suggest)  that players will think twice about trying to kid the ref. 

Re. Ronaldo and Drogba, I suspect that authorities in general, and match officials in particular were wary of getting the wrong side of Fergie and Mourinho, so even if more punitive sanctions had been available I am doubtful they would have been applied against some of the worst offenders, because if their clubs. I wonder whether the authorities shy away from taking a much tougher stance because they worry that they will be coming up against the “big clubs”, who they seem loath to upset?

12 minutes ago, downendcity said:

I agree TR, it is only when the jeopardy for cheating is serious enough ( match bans as you suggest)  that players will think twice about trying to kid the ref. 

Re. Ronaldo and Drogba, I suspect that authorities in general, and match officials in particular were wary of getting the wrong side of Fergie and Mourinho, so even if more punitive sanctions had been available I am doubtful they would have been applied against some of the worst offenders, because if their clubs. I wonder whether the authorities shy away from taking a much tougher stance because they worry that they will be coming up against the “big clubs”, who they seem loath to upset?

That's partly my point, go after those and do you think the likes of Fergie and Mourinho would let them players keep trying it on? Ban them and massive fines, and it would soon have stopped imo.

8 hours ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

I watched the incident on Quest and to me it was a clear dive, worthy of some sanction from the EFL however, if they are going to punish one then they have to punish ALL occasions where players are guilty of simulation. It annoys me to see referees stop play because of a supposed head injury when the player has actually received very little or no contact to his head; I’m not criticising the refs - they’re following guidance and being duly cautious - I’m blaming the players for cheating in order to gain an advantage. Making an example of Godden is justified but needs to be applied equitably and consistently across all league matches. It won’t be. 

Once again, the EFL shows itself to be capable of dealing quickly with smaller fry matters whilst the big fish issues, eg Derby, Reading etc are allowed to drag on and on, sometimes to the detriment of other clubs eg Wycombe. 

And I also blame the managers and coaches who are instructing them to do it - and bollocking them if they don't when an opportunity presents itself.

Edited by Red Shadow
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

I feel sorry for the Ref's in this cases. I said after I saw the game, obvious dive but not from where the Ref was maybe. They have one chance to see an incident, if they send someone off they can ruin a game. If they then find out it's a mistake that makes it worse. I'd like to see the 3 game ban as a retrospective (unless latently obvious) thing. I would think a couple of months of the 3 game ban would reduce it massively. If it is clear at the time, Red, but it would give the Ref a chance to look again after if he wasn't sure.

One things for sure, they have to do something. Sadly doing something isn't an EFL trait . 

That is when the line officials come into it. All they do is flag off sides ?

• Like 1