IGNORED

Palace's new Academy...

Kid in the Riot

Can't watch it all as I'm at work and the mobile signal isn't great, and the video keeps buffering.

From what I can see though, you're right it really does put our HPC to shame. 

This is the perfect example of why we need to get to the Premiership, even if we end up yo-yo-ing for a while. 

Don't get me wrong, we are heading in the right direction, and for a club our size we have brilliant facilities. Premier League money can give you so much more though if used correctly.

• Like 2

Yep, on this…

It does frustrates me that we keep pushing our HPC as some out-of-this-world training complex that premier league clubs would envy. 

Yes, it is bloody brilliant and a massive step forward for us as a club and I expect there are some premier league training grounds that might be a bit dated now.

But you only have to look at this video and Brighton’s new training ground etc to realise that there are much bigger and much better training grounds at most clubs bigger than us.

When the media team ask new players or staff what they think of the the HPC and how it compares with other training complexes, it does make me laugh.

• Like 8

17 minutes ago, B-Rizzle said:

Yep, on this…

It does frustrates me that we keep pushing our HPC as some out-of-this-world training complex that premier league clubs would envy. 

Yes, it is bloody brilliant and a massive step forward for us as a club and I expect there are some premier league training grounds that might be a bit dated now.

But you only have to look at this video and Brighton’s new training ground etc to realise that there are much bigger and much better training grounds at most clubs bigger than us.

When the media team ask new players or staff what they think of the the HPC and how it compares with other training complexes, it does make me laugh.

Yep, I feel the same. HPC is a huge step up for us but compared to what some other clubs have its basic. 

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/threads/training-grounds.872664/page-56#post-175801932

I am not complaining just being pragmatic. 

Edited by BS3_RED

That first rooms reminds me of a London bar! Very smart though.

You look at Leicester’s training complex, unbelievable facilities! Granted they’ve done exceptionally well in the past 10 years, but they were a League One side not so long ago.

Anything can happen, we just have to get it right. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, B-Rizzle said:

Yep, on this…

Agree - gets to the point where it’s slightly cringey. Fantastic that we have the facility and a massive improvement on what we had, but it’s nothing more than average when you see some of the others around.  Just shows how difficult it is to keep up with the more moneyed clubs, got to run just to stand still. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, B-Rizzle said:

Yep, on this…

It’s better than anything we’ve had though. Why can’t the club be proud of it. Not sure if any of our new signings are coming from Palace, Brighton or other premier league clubs with impressive training facilities. 

• Like 5

No point comparing our facilities with those of a Premier League club. 

Might as well compare wage bills.

They are in an entirely different financial position to the rest of football and whilst it might be great for their academy kids to have these outstanding facilities, they will still need to go to the Mem on a Tuesday night to try and win a Pizza. 

Which I don't imagine this new botanical garden that has 9G under soil heating with a 4 speed infinity pool and crazy golf is going to help them with*.

*Might not have paid full attention to the facilities on offer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, David Brent said:

It’s better than anything we’ve had though. Why can’t the club be proud of it. Not sure if any of our new signings are coming from Palace, Brighton or other premier league clubs with impressive training facilities. 

essentially this.

Atkinson signed from Oxford, his prior clubs (including loans) bar Fulham all likely to have worse training facilities than ours.
Tanner joined from Carlisle. Admittedly before that he was at Manchester Utd, but whether their youth facilities and training ones are together I dont know.

There's also an element of it saying to the players "we've just spent x million upgrading this, we want the money to have been put to good use and for it to help the club advance".

I'm sure we won't be saying it to players in 5 years time

Edited by JamesBCFC
  • Hmmm 1

13 minutes ago, David Brent said:

No reason not to be proud but the constant reference to both stadium and training ground upgrades, to the point of overkill, comes off as small time to some.  

6 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Atkinson signed from Oxford, his prior clubs (including loans) bar Fulham all likely to have worse training facilities than ours.
Tanner joined from Carlisle. Admittedly before that he was at Manchester Utd, but whether their youth facilities and training ones are together I dont know.

Or alternatively, over half our team have played in the Premier League and at bigger clubs than us.

Not that you'd know it. 

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

It is a very nice facility. They have incorporated a lot of offices there and classrooms. Selhurst park is a very old stadium and I expect the office facilities there are tired. We have all of that at the refurbished Ashton Gate . 

It is a impressive centre though 

Correct, Selhurst Park is a creaking dump with less capacity than Ashton Gate. Swings and roundabouts, as they say. Much better "atmosphere" though ... even in the lower leagues.

1 minute ago, The Original OTIB said:

Correct, Selhurst Park is a creaking dump with less capacity than Ashton Gate. Swings and roundabouts, as they say. Much better "atmosphere" though ... even in the lower leagues.

It's 2008, it's the Play-off semi-final.

Two diverging paths lie ahead. 

One is signposted "You'll lose this game, your ground will remain a dump but soon you'll be in the Premier league for 9 consecutive seasons and get to the FA Cup final".

The other "You'll win this game, your ground will get an amazing upgrade but soon you'll be back in the third Division and, er, that's about it".

So "swings and roundabouts" is an almighty understatement - having a shiny new Ashton Gate is frankly no compensation when you look at what Crystal Palace have achieved in recent years where it really counts - on the field of play.     

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

One is signposted "You'll lose this game, your ground will remain a dump but soon you'll be in the Premier league for 9 consecutive seasons and get to the FA Cup final".

The other "You'll win this game, your ground will get an amazing upgrade but soon you'll be back in the third Division and, er, that's about it".

So "swings and roundabouts" is an almighty understatement - having a shiny new Ashton Gate is frankly no compensation when you look at what Crystal Palace have achieved in recent years where it really counts - on the field of play.     

I was not commenting on anything other than one has an amazing Academey training facility the other a more funcitonal one. One has a nice (mostly) new ground, the other an older, dated and decaying one. Nothing more, nothing less.

11 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Scenario one - you develop the ground with all the money you make in the PL.  think SL might’ve questioned whether h did it the wrong way around.

Better comparing our set up to our peers in the championship. Its still a very high end facility. You aren't getting those kind of facilities at Luton, Millwall, QPR etc 

You can have all the kit in the world but if the coaches aren't up to snuff then it's pointless. 

It's like me playing golf with amazing clubs, I still hit it into the pond.