IGNORED

Where we're at...

AshtonRobin21

Deep rooted problems are embedded within the club. 

We find ourselves slipping down the table once again. I have seen many varied analysis' of who is to blame for the current state of affairs. 

Is it the manager?

Is it the players?

Is the Ownership to blame?

Previous regimes?

The truth is, all have played a part in leading us to where we're currently at. 

Has Pearson had the desired effect since his arrival? The simple answer is no. However, the playing personnel at his disposal is the worst I have seen since our relegation season in 12/13.

My main criticism is that we still don't seem to have a 'style of play'. It's anyone's guess as to what formation we are going to play with, but one things for sure, Chris Martin will be starting. Yet, amongst all of this, I believe NP is working hard with the tools he has. Would anyone else do a better job? I'm not so sure many managers would be able to get a tune out of this squad. 

Confidence seems lost, any form of aggression is non existent, and there is no grit or fight within the squad. 

The players were keen to perform a lap of honour on the weekend following what can once again be described as a drab performance against a poor Barnsley side (bar a 5 minute spell in which the 2 goals were scored). Now I, like many others, felt that the home win on Saturday may have injected new life into this squad and provided an uplift in both results and performances, but tonight proved that was not to be the case. Instead we were served up another dull, gutless performance with no attacking threat whatsoever. The players need to face up to the position we are in. 

In regards to ownership, SL has provided us with great financial backing over the years, and long may that continue. But a 'Football brain' is required within the club to ensure we are investing wisely. The job carried out by Mark Ashton can only be described as diabolical. Every asset within the club sold and the money reinvested poorly, thus leaving us with a squad of overpaid, underachievers. 

The likes of Martin, Wells, James, King, Simpson, Kalas and Baker would have made up a very good championship side - 5 years ago. We are behind with the times. A large majority of this squad has performed to their peak levels and are now on a decline. Yet we still fall into the trap of recruiting 'name players' as opposed to searching for genuine potential. 

As a club we are on a slippery slope. Off the field things may seem okay, We have a great training ground, a fantastic stadium, but we are a million miles away where it really counts, ON THE PITCH. 

A thorough review needs to be conducted by Mr Lansdown to understand where we go from here. Teams such as Luton are bypassing us with minimal spend, so where are we going wrong. 

Players deemed no longer suitable for our requirements such as Korey Smith and Jamie Paterson are now seen as crucial members of a much improving Swansea side. 

If you have not already read @Harry post in regards to the state of our recruitment department within the club, then I would certainly recommend taking a look. Alarm bells will begin to ring. 

The infrastructure at the club needs reviewing. A director of football would go along way to starting to fix some of these issues. A genuine football individual who has lived the game and understands the requirements to succeed. Someone in the mould of Joe Jordan for example. 

My feeling is that we have tried to give Pearson free reign in terms of being the manager, whilst also overseeing various areas within the club (the role of a DOF). This task is simply too big for one individual and requires assistance. 

QPR currently have a very solid foundation due to the working relationship between Mark Warburton (Manager), Les Ferdinand (Director of Football) and Tony Fernandes (Owner). A club that seems to be getting back on track after a few seasons of decline. 

Apologies for the long post, but we require an in-house review as to where we are currently underperforming, and it is certainly in more areas that just on the pitch.

• Like 3

Good post, I think we are beyond the days of signing name players, but I guess you are referring to resigning Weimann and Baker for example.  I said last week, I think we will see us more go down the young route we’ve seen with Tanner and Atkinson.

If I was SL I’d get the accounts out for 20/21 asap and spell out in no uncertain terms what the FFP situation is.  If he can delegate to Richard Gould if he likes.  Because as it stands there will be a proportion of fans who will be getting restless.  If they do point to a bit of a horror show as expected it may take some pressure off of Nige or at least manage expectations in the Jan window.

• Robin 1

On 02/11/2021 at 23:21, Davefevs said:

Good post, I think we are beyond the days of signing name players, but I guess you are referring to resigning Weimann and Baker for example.  I said last week, I think we will see us more go down the young route we’ve seen with Tanner and Atkinson.

If I was SL I’d get the accounts out for 20/21 asap and spell out in no uncertain terms what the FFP situation is.  If he can delegate to Richard Gould if he likes.  Because as it stands there will be a proportion of fans who will be getting restless.  If they do point to a bit of a horror show as expected it may take some pressure off of Nige or at least manage expectations in the Jan window.

By name players, I was referring to the likes of Martin, Simpson, Wells, etc who all WERE very good championship players once upon a time. 

The problem for us being, we signed them a couple of seasons too late. Wells applies less so, as he was in good form for QPR when we signed him. 

We need to be looking for the next generation of these players, who have the potential to be regular 'top end' championship players for years to come. 

However, we seem to have a severe lack of forward planning at the club. We have reverted to short-term fix signings, whilst actually not really fixing anything. 

3 hours ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

However, we seem to have a severe lack of forward planning at the club. We have reverted to short-term fix signings, whilst actually not really fixing anything. 

I would agree that there has been a lack of forward planning (or pre-planning) for a number of years. Reactive recruitment, best personified by Pack’s sale.

Sometimes you do need short-term fixes though.