IGNORED

Passing

Bs4Red

Vyner (abysmal) under 61.4 pass completion.

Kalas 60.8% pass completion.

Atkinson 68.6% pass completion. 

No wonder we cannot play football, when our back 3 give the ball away 1 in 3 times they have it. 

Pathetic.

No game plan or style of play, this is for the manager to solve. 

So embarrassing, be disappointed in the toolstation if you gave the ball away 1/3 times. 

They've got no-one to pass it to. Midfield is completely static, none of them want the ball.

I'd be tempted to go;

Kalas    Atkinson   Baker

Tanner     Massengo    James      Pring

Palmer

Weimann    Wells

Weimann can't pass 5 yards so we can't have him in the 'playmaker' role. Get Palmer there and playing through balls to Wells and Andi.

Keep Tanner and Pring further forward and wider so we actually have some width when attacking and defending.

We'd be top by Feb!

• Like 3

7 hours ago, grifty said:

They've got no-one to pass it to. Midfield is completely static, none of them want the ball.

I'd be tempted to go;

Palmer

Weimann    Wells

Weimann can't pass 5 yards so we can't have him in the 'playmaker' role. Get Palmer there and playing through balls to Wells and Andi.

Keep Tanner and Pring further forward and wider so we actually have some width when attacking and defending.

We'd be top by Feb!

I honestly don't think that with the players available there is a solution. 

I do agree though the lack of movement in midfield is a core problem. I've never seen a CM player move less or more slowly then Tyreeq Bakinson. Even LJ in his time was more dynamic. James/King/O'Dowda are not dynamic, Massengo is the only one who in that position can create space but if he's the only one doing it hell easily be picked off. 

• Like 1

The midfield and defence have no one to pass to. Every one of them gets their head up and looks for an option. Problem is their options are Weimann, Wells and Martin.

There is no out ball. Teams are happy to push up and let us pump it down the channel and take their chances in a foot race with Chris Martin. Teams can press us without fear of a dangerous counter attack for the most part. 

So they are all playing in these small pockets of space in our own half. So the defence lump it. The midfield and wingback try to play it into that front 3 but they lose it more than they hold it up. We have tried loads of different formations and personnel at the back and in midfield. Where we haven’t tried changing it is up front. 

Edited by JoeAman08

9 hours ago, Bs4Red said:

Vyner (abysmal) under 61.4 pass completion.

Kalas 60.8% pass completion.

Atkinson 68.6% pass completion. 

No wonder we cannot play football, when our back 3 give the ball away 1 in 3 times they have it. 

Pathetic.

No game plan or style of play, this is for the manager to solve. 

So embarrassing, be disappointed in the toolstation if you gave the ball away 1/3 times. 

Hard to pass from the back when everyone is either stationary, running away from you or hiding. When you next watch us freeze frame when our defenders get the ball from Bentley. Even Pele would struggle to find a decent pass in that situation

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, grifty said:

I'd be tempted to go;

Palmer

Weimann    Wells

We'd be top by Feb!

I think you're going to be disappointed if you're expecting to see Palmer back in a city shirt anytime soon.

1 hour ago, VT05763 said:

"take a touch and knock it"

Wasn’t that last night for 55-60 mins though was it.  We did try to build….and actually were quite successful in getting into decent positions.

We made 291/379 passes.  Our 2nd best number of passes all season (Millwall away where they let us have the ball).

1st half:

196 passes / 149 successful

mins 45-60:

68 passes / 52 successful

Opening hour:

264 passes / 201 complete

Then the 60-75 min period that had Deeney’s goal and culminated with Gardner one minute after 75….just 44 passes, a 30% drop off.  We couldn’t get the ball back.

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Wasn’t that last night for 55-60 mins though was it.  We did try to build….and actually were quite successful in getting into decent positions.

We made 291/379 passes.  Our 2nd best number of passes all season (Millwall away where they let us have the ball).

1st half:

196 passes / 149 successful

mins 45-60:

68 passes / 52 successful

Opening hour:

264 passes / 201 complete

Then the 60-75 min period that had Deeney’s goal and culminated with Gardner one minute after 75….just 44 passes, a 30% drop off.  We couldn’t get the ball back.

Appreciated but after watching our last few home games our default  tactics resemble very much a "take a touch and bang forward" approach.

Certainly appears that way to me.

34 minutes ago, VT05763 said:

Appreciated but after watching our last few home games our default  tactics resemble very much a "take a touch and bang forward" approach.

Certainly appears that way to me.

Yep.  Although you could argue Barnsley make most teams play like that.  Would’ve been nice to see us try to play like we did for 55 mins last night against Barnsley.  It’s very different to early season, when there was a definite mix of passing style.

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Yep.  Although you could argue Barnsley make most teams play like that.  Would’ve been nice to see us try to play like we did for 55 mins last night against Barnsley.  It’s very different to early season, when there was a definite mix of passing style.

I genuinely didn’t think we played 5 mins of decent football last night let alone 55. 

One or two nice passes and switches of play then a lump forward

I think our issue yesterday was getting the ball from defence into midfield. Bakinson in particular had a habit of hiding behind the Birmingham press and not being an option to the centre backs (McTominay does the same for Man U). Palmer probably doesn't play deep enough to be part of that  pivot and its probably why King gets the nod and is able to use his experience to connect the lines. 

17 hours ago, Bs4Red said:

Not just them. I've posted several time in other threads that soooo many passes or crosses are under or overhit and give / gift the ball to the oppos.

Development opportunity for Atkinson is to work out when he can win the ball and plausibly get it to a team mate. Currently he seems determined to win the first ball (great attitude), even when likely outcome is him out of the game (eg on the floor after a stretching header) and an opponent with the ball at their feet in a reasonably dangerous decision, as ball was never there to be won easily enough to direct it to a teammate as well as winning it.