IGNORED

It Starts! Smith Out at Villa

7 minutes ago, VT05763 said:

He was THE coach.

And I would not be surprised if he now comes and joins us. 

Getting the band back together" so to speak and this could mean that NP can stay with this extra help.

Never know could be a win, win, win situation.

The timing of this certainly has a "it's meant to be" feel about it. 

• Like 2

I’m not totally in with the some of the Smith love  in comments.

Yep, not bad manager but he had a huge budget when in the championship and his budget got him so far in the prem and now he was starting to get found out. I mean come on he managed a team that we scored 8 against :)

Edited by Show Me The Money!
  • Like 1
  • Flames 1

5 minutes ago, Show Me The Money! said:

Yep, not bad manager but he had a huge budget when in the championship and his budget got him so far in the prem and now he was starting to get found out. I mean come on he managed a team that we scored 8 against :)

Good manager, but much easier to look like you know what you’re doing if you’ve got £££ and Grealish in the team. Games without Grealish his record is nowhere near as good. 

21 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

The timing of this certainly has a "it's meant to be" feel about it. 

I really hope you’re right. Great coach, didn’t quite work for him as a manager. Could he be head coach to NP’s “director of football “?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

No you didn’t, they were seen walking round the waterfront together,

For those of you who don’t think Nige has a sense of humour, he was seen outside The Ostrich..

Surely Shakespeare wanted to go the Shakespeare!

2 hours ago, Loosey Boy said:

Think Nige’s relationship with Shakespeare is longer standing than with Smith and so hopefully this would help us convince him to come, IF (& it is if), we are actually looking to recruit further in our back room team? 

Yes, and Shakespeare (like Smith) is a Villa fan too.

20 minutes ago, Show Me The Money! said:

He served his apprenticeship imho at Walsall and Brentford and he deserved whatever situation he landed at Villa….much as it pains me that he got them up.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Hopefully we can be proactive- and look to make a good offer to Shakespeare PDQ if we haven't already.

Then it starts to look a bit better...Pearson, Fleming and Rennie here in their differing roles- Shakespeare being added would be good. What is Steve Walsh up to these days?

Wouod you rather another coach in eg Shakey or use his wages towards Jan players.

18 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Wouod you rather another coach in eg Shakey or use his wages towards Jan players.

I'm leaning towards getting the coaching setup right, NP with staff that he truly wants, knows- has had success with.

I don't see us going down, barring a disastrous injury situation. I am hoping we can perform better or at least more competitively and with proper cohesion once the injury situation eases properly.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I'm leaning towards getting the coaching setup right, NP with staff that he truly wants, knows- has had success with.

I don't see us going down, barring a disastrous injury situation. I am hoping we can perform better or at least more competitively and with proper cohesion once the injury situation eases properly.

Nige’s ongoing health is a major concern though. He might not be able to continue. I think Shakespeare might go back to Watford with Ranieri (if reports are correct)

33 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Nige’s ongoing health is a major concern though. He might not be able to continue. I think Shakespeare might go back to Watford with Ranieri (if reports are correct)

Apparently, according to almost everyone we're not allowed to talk about Nige's health. See my thread.

• Like 1

I can see why Shakespeare would want to rejoin Ranieri. But I can’t see why he’d want to return to Watford. Money tends to talk but SL can almost certainly (in spite of our current predicament) offer more security. NP has praised the clubs care for him while he had Covid, so this may be a factor too.

• Like 1

Gerrard is an interesting one. I think for his likely intended career trajectory (Rangers -> *Prem Team* -> Liverpool) it makes sense, but to be seen as having done a "good job" there, I wonder whether he'll have expectations on him of making Villa into a Leicester/West Ham. It's an interesting challenge in that respect, but Rodgers and Moyes are vastly more experienced and are probably both in their managerial prime.

I'll watch how he gets on with interest, I think this is a bit of a risk though. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Gerrard is an interesting one. I think for his likely intended career trajectory (Rangers -> *Prem Team* -> Liverpool) it makes sense, but to be seen as having done a "good job" there, I wonder whether he'll have expectations on him of making Villa into a Leicester/West Ham. It's an interesting challenge in that respect, but Rodgers and Moyes are vastly more experienced and are probably both in their managerial prime.

I'll watch how he gets on with interest, I think this is a bit of a risk though. 

Exactly that. Villa a stepping stone to the Liverpool job. 

Fair play to Lansdown for at least approaching Gerrard's representatives last summer, what an appointment that would've been. 

I think he'll do a good job at Villa.