IGNORED

Tinman

sh1t_ref_again

I have added this to a couple of threads, but thought maybe it needs its own thread to discuss

It would appear that NP has been suffering from his illness much worse and longer than any of us knew and difficult to know the effect on the team. I can't see the club able to resolve the long term future any time soon, but feel prior to the Jan transfer window decisions will need to be made.

A lot has been said that CF needs help and if its not just the Cov result he is responsible for then that is urgently needed. Shakespere is the obvious answer, RG said we have not spoken to him, which means we still could.

Which got me to thinking, what about getting Tinman involved with the 1st team as interim manager or similar role. I know his previous attempt was not successful but very different circumstance and will have learnt a lot since, well respected by players, knows the young lads, will not cost and a no risk option

3 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

I have added this to a couple of threads, but thought maybe it needs its own thread to discuss

It would appear that NP has been suffering from his illness much worse and longer than any of us knew and difficult to know the effect on the team. I can't see the club able to resolve the long term future any time soon, but feel prior to the Jan transfer window decisions will need to be made.

A lot has been said that CF needs help and if its not just the Cov result he is responsible for then that is urgently needed. Shakespere is the obvious answer, RG said we have not spoken to him, which means we still could.

Which got me to thinking, what about getting Tinman involved with the 1st team as interim manager or similar role. I know his previous attempt was not successful but very different circumstance and will have learnt a lot since, well respected by players, knows the young lads, will not cost and a no risk option

For me Shakespeare WAS the obvious Assistant Manager, had he been free when Curtis Fleming came in, assuming a healthy Nige.

Is he the obvious answer if Nige isn’t gonna remain?  Imho they are a great pair, he appears to be a great Asst Mgr….but is he a good manager?

I dunno!

15 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

For me Shakespeare WAS the obvious Assistant Manager, had he been free when Curtis Fleming came in, assuming a healthy Nige.

Is he the obvious answer if Nige isn’t gonna remain?  Imho they are a great pair, he appears to be a great Asst Mgr….but is he a good manager?

I dunno!

Leicester fans would say no. I also saw some comments from Villa fans after Smith was sacked describing Shakespeare as disloyal and worse, though I don't know on what grounds and whether it is justified.

There is also some mystery as to why Richard O'Kelly, Smith's right hand man for years, left Villa suddenly before the season. Though I haven't researched the detail, I'm just repeating what Villa fans have said.

How about O'Kelly for a coaching role btw?

Edited by chinapig

Wouldn’t wish that on Tinman again.  Was a legend as a player and that was badly knocked when he took on the Manager role.

He’s done a fantastic job in his current position and really wouldn’t want his rep to take a second hammering.

Absolute no from me, no way he should take that poisened chalice again imho.

• Like 7

14 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Leicester fans would say no. I also saw some comments from Villa fans after Smith was sacked describing Shakespeare as disloyal and worse, though I don't know on what grounds and whether it is justified.

There is also some mystery as to why Richard O'Kelly, Smith's right hand man for years, left Villa suddenly before the season. Though I haven't researched the detail, I'm just repeating what Villa fans have said.

O’Kelly was here before wasn't he about a decade ago? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I dunno!

Ostrich didn’t seem to think so

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

So there he was- in the dug out having just been destroyed by Swansea, one of the worst defeats in our history.

He sat alone for about an hour- no dressing room sort out just on his own in a largely empty stadium cutting a desperate figure. He was on the mobile to his wife.

Brian Tinnion is a legend, top bloke and probably  my most favourite player of all time. Every single City fan at that time desperately wanted him to succeed but SL promoted him too soon.

I was effin delighted when he came back to us and he's done a good job and remains a legend and however talented he may have become, I suspect he's happy as he is in a supporting role and long may it continue.

The likes of Scott Murray and Tinman have BCFC running through their veins but as a club, as fans, we need them in a supporting role that ensures they never put their head in the noose of anything else.

With respect- to the OP- silly suggestion!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Robin 1

The danger of putting Tins in charge for let’s say 3 months is he starts winning regularly.

I know that sounds daft but then what? You’d have the whole crowd wanting him to stay and then we all know what happens next, like Millen or Oli at Man Utd, it goes tits up, it nearly always does.

I know we could have this scenario with anyone but I wouldn’t want Tins to end his time with City like that again……….the 3 months of winning games would be quite welcome though…..

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ralphindevon said:

The danger of putting Tins in charge for let’s say 3 months is he starts winning regularly.

I know that sounds daft but then what? You’d have the whole crowd wanting him to stay and then we all know what happens next, like Millen or Oli at Man Utd, it goes tits up, it nearly always does.

I know we could have this scenario with anyone but I wouldn’t want Tins to end his time with City like that again……….the 3 months of winning games would be quite welcome though…..

i was going to mention millen,brilliant no2 here and stood in  a couple of times  but returned to no2 with new managers, unfortunately,it seems if youtake the hot seat,and you get the bullet, (which you will eventually)  you are out the door,no coming back. lets not even consider putting tinman through that again

9 hours ago, chinapig said:

O’Kelly was at our club as assistant manager under SOD ... do you want him back?

Agree with the majority that Tinman is better left in the position he’s currently in, he’s very well respected and would hate for that to be jeopardised.

Can see the benefits of it but feel the negatives/risks outweigh the positives and it’s unfair on Tinman who is settled in a role at the club he loves.

Accept what all say would not what Tinman put in a difficult position, so maybe just comes in to assist CF. It seems most think CF will need to short term help, of course we do not know if and how much input NP is having, but until we are in a position where long term decisions can be made, it seems silly not to utilise Tinman's experience when we are currently struggling so much. I sure this could work in a way so as to not affect his position and status within the club, assuming of course Tinman wants to.

I don't imagine for one second that Tinman would a) be offered the position b) accept it.

What happened during Tinman's tenure was sad and almost destroyed his legendary status at this club. At the time there was a culture amongst the players of messing about and boozing. At the time the players realised (as they do today) that they hold the power. I heard a story that right at the beginning Tinman told the lads that he wanted to be known as the boss or gaffer and the players made a point of calling him Tin's instead. It was never going to work.

In this day and age I hear a lot of people saying that the iron fist approach and hair dryer treatment doesn't work, but it does to some degree and is still needed because there has to be a level of respect from the players towards the manager and without it, if you chose to simply stroke egos instead, the players will feel that they can take their foot of off the gas if they 'fancy it' without any serious repercussions.

Long may Tinman continue in the role that he current does as he truly loves the club and his passion can only be positive for the youngsters coming through.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1