IGNORED

Where are they now? Giefer, Marinovic & Lucic

Fordy62

1 hour ago, Northern Red said:

Niki Maenpaa is at Venezia and has played a few games in Serie A this season, although they've since signed Romero the ex-Man Utd keeper on a free so he's now back on the bench.

I still think if Niki M had been able to stay fit he would have been our long term number 1.

It was so frustrating when he started to get a run and show good form he would be injured again.

One day we should probably have a City injury 11 - with Joe as captain and Nathan as coach (he will be unavailable for selection)

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

I still think if Niki M had been able to stay fit he would have been our long term number 1.

It was so frustrating when he started to get a run and show good form he would be injured again.

One day we should probably have a City injury 11 - with Joe as captain and Nathan as coach (he will be unavailable for selection)

George Elekobi at right back with Benik and Velicka up front.

Dani Rodrigues playing at number 10 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LoyalRed said:

Some good goalkeepers in this list, 

https://www.transfermarkt.co.in/bristol-city/torhueterchronik/verein/698

Always thought as a City fan Ben Hamer would have stayed around for longer.

Anyone recall Nathan Abbey?  

Abbey was signed by GJ as cover for Basso (who did have a tendency to go off injured a lot) & also probably as part of his plan to get Phillips to leave.

He was a journeyman L1/L2 standard keeper & made his only appearance for us as a sub on the last day of the season at Southend (Goater’s retirement game) when you guessed it, Basso went off injured..

We released him that summer & signed Chris Weale.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Northern Red said:

Yep, from pretty much the day he walked through the door, with the exception of the L1 promotion season various managers were constantly trying to upgrade on him. Apart from Maenpaa he saw them all off.

The various managers were Lee Johnson…. Think Steve Cotterill always played him when fit. Fielding had gone by the time Lee was replaced. 

13 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

The treatment of Marinovic was pure bullying on here. Looked nervous at kicking as he might be on his debut , let in one goal which he could do nothing about and didn't cost us anything.

Not our best keeper ever but not deserving of the infamy 

Would have kept a clean sheet if it wasn’t for Lloyd Kelly getting his legs confused and putting an Ipswich cross in his own net.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, maxjak said:

Diony currently on loan at Red Star Belgrade from Angers FC.......he is now 28, and should be in his peak years?   But it would seem that he had his time in the sun, at Dijon FC between the ages of 22-25, when he was scoring comparitively regularly ..........27 in 107 games.  Now increasingly approaching his Sell By Date?   Still probably made a few quid out of it, but flattered to deceive, and is an average journeyman who never fullfilled early promise?    `One goal in 8 appearances at RSB.  Most definitely a nearly man?

I thought it was 3/14 for Red Star Belgrade at the moment and they are 2nd in the division.  

28 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

The treatment of Marinovic was pure bullying on here. Looked nervous at kicking as he might be on his debut , let in one goal which he could do nothing about and didn't cost us anything.

‘Not our best keeper’?  Come on, he was shockingly bad…

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

George Elekobi at right back with Benik and Velicka up front.

Dani Rodrigues playing at number 10 

26 minutes ago, SuperDziek said:

Sam Vokes up front with them. 

Is it my memory, or weren't Elokobi, Velicka and Vokes all injured during their first game with us, and in consecutive seasons?

Each season we had an exciting, rated loan. Each season they were crocked in minutes.

Elokobu's was the most memorable, but wasn't it either Vokes or Velicka who departed after about 10 minutes on the pitch?

We had Boaz Myhill, Ben Foster and Wayne Hennessy on loan as back-up to Steve Phillips. None made a first-team appearance, but all went on to play in the Premier League.

John Ruddy was an emergency loan for Basso in 2006-07, making one appearance away at Carlisle, BBC SPORT | Football | League One | Carlisle 1-3 Bristol City. Another that played in the top flight.

Edited by Curr Avon
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

I actually think Marinovic gets a bad press, as it seemed frankly bizarre to me that LJ threw him in against Ipswich (on a night when it was blowing a Gale) when he had barely been in the country a week & hadn’t played a game in ages. He made an error virtually from the kick off but was bailed out by Lloyd Kelly & actually made a decent save in the second half.

Lucic had a shit attitude (Tinnion said so) & so I’m not surprised his career has gone nowhere.

Geifer seemed to have injury issues & was another bizarre LJ addition.

Parish has had a remarkable career, been released after 1 year by virtually every club he’s been at, yet made a living as a back up keeper.

Geifer had some pedigree IIRC

Was a case of if he was past his injury issues we would have got a very good goalkeeper on the cheap.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Is it my memory, or weren't Elokobi, Velicka and Vokes all injured during their first game with us, and in consecutive seasons?

Each season we had an exciting, rated loan. Each season they were crocked in minutes.

Elokobu's was the most memorable, but wasn't it either Vokes or Velicka who departed after about 10 minutes on the pitch?

I think Velicka came on as sub, went up for a header in his first action on the pitch, landed and did his ACL, never to be seen in our colours again. 

Think Christian Ribeiro did his ACL on debut as well, although he wasn’t on loan and returned to make a few appearances for us. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Red Army 75 said:

Shittest keeper I’ve ever seen in a city shirt. Like a fan won a raffle to play in goal. After 10 pints of Thatchers . 

If you are talking about marinovic… my memory of him was he played one game v Ipswich from memory at home 1-1 and I was in Venice and watched it in my room in one of the most the romantic cities in the world

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, eardun said:

I remember Ian Leigh. One game, around 1984. If my memory serves me right, he tried to gather in the ball and it bounced off his knee to the striker who scored.

Just dug out a programme from 1984-85, according to the stats page Ian Leigh played at home to Walsall on 2nd February 1985 (a 1-2 loss)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

agreed, some decent saves in there, no chance with goal. 

Ian leighs got promised free pizza for life, by a restaurant in bouremouth, if he kept a clean sheet against man utd.

Now thats what you call a bonus.

Sadly harry redknapp bought the place, and poor ian got no pizza.

What about that ben hamer, didnt he let a silly amount in, in the time we had him?

Recall mike hooper laughing, when newcastle let a goal in and hed been benched.

And the geordies demanded him out, was out in days.