IGNORED

Where are they now? Giefer, Marinovic & Lucic

Fordy62

21 hours ago, JonDolman said:

I swear Gieffer was supposed to be really good at some point before bad injuries?

Would not be the first time we bring in a player who is not the player they were, but hoping we can get them back to their best. LJ being too confident in his own abilities. 

Diony - Was apparently really good a year before we signed him at Dijon. But was apparently a disaster at his new club at the time Saint Etienne. Carried on being a disaster for us.

We had apparently agreed a 10 million pound fee if we wanted him permanently at the end of the season ?

Marley Watkins is another. Was very good for Barnsley, Norwich signed him. Had injuries and was apparently really poor for them.

So we gambled 1.5 million on him hoping he'd go back to the player he had been at Barnsley. Norwich fans could not believe it. The odd good game but never worked out for us.

Sure there's others too. Could even say Kasey Palmer, a ridiculously expensive signing for a player who couldn't have been playing that well as he couldn't get in our side!

I didn’t ever think Watkins was as bad as made out for us personally. 

• Like 3

I met Marinovic at a Phoenix game I went to, decent fun but easily the worst standard of football I’ve seen in a long time (I’m sure that’ll be challenged when I make it to my non-league local in a few weeks mind). 

Think I was feeling gobby and young at the time (also jet lagged if that’s an excuse) and asked him some questions about LJ, Bristol etc that he basically didn’t answer, the kiwis around I recall found the whole thing quite bemusing. 

It also was my first experience of VAR. 

None of his goal kicks made it into the stands but that was helped my the whole ‘playing in a cricket ground’ thing

Don't think it has been mentioned in this thread, but Geifer was signed up as he was such a highly rated goalkeeper BUT he had a clean tear in a leg muscle meaning he couldn't kick a football anymore to say the least. It probably affected his agility/mobility too.

He was practically re-training himself as there was no full recovery.

Didn't work out for him and the injury has set him back further, dropping to the lower leagues in Germany.

On 10/11/2021 at 16:37, Fordy62 said:

Meanwhile, Elliot Parish is playing in goal for Scots Prem St Johnstone.

Wow, Elliot Parish...there’s a name from the not so distant past.

Goes along with Nyron Nosworthy, Simon Gillett, Marlon Harewood, Jordan Winter, Simon Moore, Tyrone Barnett and Martin Paterson.

A season I ******* hated up until we secured our safety against Notts County with a few games to go but now look back upon with a great deal of fondness.

1 hour ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Wow, Elliot Parish...there’s a name from the not so distant past.

Goes along with Nyron Nosworthy, Simon Gillett, Marlon Harewood, Jordan Winter, Simon Moore, Tyrone Barnett and Martin Paterson.

A season I ******* hated up until we secured our safety against Notts County with a few games to go but now look back upon with a great deal of fondness.

Paterson gave his shirt to Joe on the final day.

County - a certain Grealish playing left wing and a really lively striker called Jimmy Spencer.  Their careers went in different directions.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, VT05763 said:

Webster ?

Wasn't Marinovic signed on video and a training session, played in front of Max ?
Webster had been watched, wasn't an unknown, and I think he was known to many on here and the only question was fitness record.
I get you're trying to point out the other end of the success scale, but not really the same.

27 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Wasn't Marinovic signed on video and a training session, played in front of Max ?
Webster had been watched, wasn't an unknown, and I think he was known to many on here and the only question was fitness record.
I get you're trying to point out the other end of the success scale, but not really the same.

Just 2 sides to every story. Some a disaster, some brilliant business.

19 minutes ago, VT05763 said:

Just 2 sides to every story. Some a disaster, some brilliant business.

Very true. Trouble was - as @Davefevs has eloquently explained - there was just too much volume, too much churn, too many punts.

If you're Chelsea, hoovering up great prospects from all around the world and loaning them out to see how they develop, you can do that. You have the money. Bristol City didn't. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Yeh. Looks like @glynrileyhas this covered. 

In fact, when you take him on at the above game I’ll allow you a multiple of 4 for Webster, 3 for Brownhill and 2 for Reid. 

19/20 season -  fees received £43.86 million and fees paid £29.66 million of which we still own Kalas, Palmer, HNM, Bentley, Wells and DaSilva.

18/19 season - fees received £26.55 million and fees paid £ 9.14 million and we still own Weimann.

17/18 season -  fees received £ 2.97 million and fees paid £12.09 million and we still own Baker.

22 minutes ago, VT05763 said:

19/20 season -  fees received £43.86 million and fees paid £29.66 million of which we still own Kalas, Palmer, HNM, Bentley, Wells and DaSilva.

18/19 season - fees received £26.55 million and fees paid £ 9.14 million and we still own Weimann.

17/18 season -  fees received £ 2.97 million and fees paid £12.09 million and we still own Baker.

And another reason why transfer fees / net spend type arguments can be very ambiguous.  Nowhere in the fees received do we see deductions for sell-on fees to the likes of Ipswich, Preston, Swindon, Cheltenham, SCO Angers etc.  Nor on the fees paid do we see agent fees, signing on fees, relocation fees, etc.  Nor do we see the impact on wage bill and amortisation (year on year increase in both cases).  I know it’s forcing stuff, but is relevant to the discussion.  And yes, we still have some value in some of those remaining players.

Edited by Davefevs
  • Thanks 1