IGNORED

save your money for Germany in 2024 and USA in 2026 and say stuff you Qatar

Never to the dark side

2 minutes ago, Never to the dark side said:

As the England are on the threshold of qualifying for this years world cup

I would love to have attended a World cup in Australia or somewhere similar but I ain't going to Qatar.

I am just hoping that many more football followers will decide not to attend in person

Apart from what happened when Blatter was in charge,its the way our football season will be stuffed up.

Suggest if you get an e-mail saying register for World cup tickets,don't bother.

This will then send a message to the bone heads that football fans that they are not going to attend

Keep your money in your pockets for 2024 and 2026

AND next year's!

Even if you ignored the evil regime, the exploited virtual slave labour building the stadiums and the corruption that landed them the gig, it will be a crap experience.

Get drinks only at a hotel bar, strict dress codes, an unfriendly society and weather that even my sun-loving friend who lives in Doha says is unbearable.  He says life is just leaving your air-conditioned apartment by lift to your air-conditioned garage then driving your air-conditioned vehicle to your employers' air-conditioned garage under their air-conditioned office. As little time as possible is spent outdoors.

Not really the travelling football fans ideal.

• Like 12

11 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Even if you ignored the evil regime, the exploited virtual slave labour building the stadiums and the corruption that landed them the gig, it will be a crap experience.

Get drinks only at a hotel bar, strict dress codes, an unfriendly society and weather that even my sun-loving friend who lives in Doha says is unbearable.  He says life is just leaving your air-conditioned apartment by lift to your air-conditioned garage then driving your air-conditioned vehicle to your employers' air-conditioned garage under their air-conditioned office. As little time as possible is spent outdoors.

This is what would drive me mad, in my line of work I could go to Qatar or UAE and make a killing for a few years but never actually going outside and only ever experiencing conditioned air would destroy my mental health.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I do worry about the players' health. I can't see it being safe

1 minute ago, phantom said:

Exactly will be about 24 / 25 degrees at best

Yep, the climate can be quite pleasant in the winter, even getting the occasional downpour.

39 minutes ago, maxjak said:

All this AND the appalling way imported labour were exploited, treated and poorly paid during the stadium's constructions.........Qatar is not a country i would ever wish to visit

Not just during the stadium construction. The whole of Doha and the industrial city was / is built using these poor sods. 

• Like 1

I've boycotted this world Cup. Have not watched any of the qualifiers and won't watch next year. 

If the footballers really cared about racism and all forms of discrimination, they'd have boycotted the world Cup a long time ago. Yet none of them have. I'm sure the families of the slaves that died building the stadiums they'll be playing in will appreciate them kneeling down though. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Flames 2

1 hour ago, The Batman said:

I've boycotted this world Cup. Have not watched any of the qualifiers and won't watch next year. 

If the footballers really cared about racism and all forms of discrimination, they'd have boycotted the world Cup a long time ago. Yet none of them have. I'm sure the families of the slaves that died building the stadiums they'll be playing in will appreciate them kneeling down though. 

Totally agree with the second paragraph and just goes to show how shallow footballers and more importantly football authorities are. It's like they are saying yes Qatar and everything associated with it is a disgrace but it's worth too much money to us so count us in. All back handers in the first place which everyone knows about but hey ho it's done and dusted so let's go.

I won't boycott it though. I will watch it and support England. If that makes me a bit of a hypocrite then so be it. If you can't beat them etc, etc.

Shouldn't have been awarded a World Cup but Doha's a lovely place to visit as a tourist or on business.

It's also amazing the duplicity of those who rightly highlight the scandalous working conditions of those constructing stadia yet who are happy to holiday in the UAE where the rights and conditions of the underclass in construction, facility management and hospitality are equally deplorable.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Should be low to mid 20s during the day and 18 to 21 at night at that time of year, but yes everything else won't exactly mean it's party central.

7 hours ago, The Batman said:

I thought the same when the cricketers started kneeling in Sharjah. Amazing.

With regard the W/C. Is it possible the players could boycott the tournament itself? I mean, they're not contractually bound or anything are they? 

8 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Been there in December, landed at midnight and can only describe it as walking into an oven - hot ? 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

Its hot but thankfully isn't Bahrain. It's the humidity, not temperature, that's the absolute showstopper.

Indeed, and as I understand you have also visited Saudi Arabia, you will recall the discomfort due to the humidity of Dammam and Al Khobar on the Persian Gulf coast compared to Riyadh, where summer temperatures would often reach the mid-40s but, strangely, life was bearable as the atmosphere was so dry.