36 minutes ago, sticks 1969 said:

Every major tournament 

your going to get shot

your going to get mugged

No hotels 

bla bla bla bla 

bullshit every time 

It’s all click bait for media companies 

In South Africa everyone was gonna get kidnapped for ransom .

In Brazil everyone was gonna get stabbed or shot by people from the favelas.

In Russia everyone was gonna get stamped to death by white supremacy football hooligans .

Once the tournament starts all worries about the location will be forgotten about and the media will move on to turning fans against  the team for not being good enough.

• Like 5

1) Iran protesters are stating  that England should boycott the game sgainst Iran in support of the protests.

Maybe the protesters should ask the IRAN footballers to boycott the game instead.

2)All visitors are expected to have a covid pass on their phones,to make sure they(the visitors) are at any one time

3) FIFA have not sanctioned the one love badge on the England shirt,and may not sanction the wearing of the badge on the football shirt.

I see there are approx 1,300 banning orders in the U.K. which prevents followers travelling to Quatar,that means approx 26 banning orders in our area.

I bet most of them will be glad they are not allowed to travel to Quatar

Edited by Never to the dark side

On 12/11/2021 at 10:50, Red-Robbo said:

Even if you ignored the evil regime, the exploited virtual slave labour building the stadiums and the corruption that landed them the gig, it will be a crap experience.

Get drinks only at a hotel bar, strict dress codes, an unfriendly society and weather that even my sun-loving friend who lives in Doha says is unbearable.  He says life is just leaving your air-conditioned apartment by lift to your air-conditioned garage then driving your air-conditioned vehicle to your employers' air-conditioned garage under their air-conditioned office. As little time as possible is spent outdoors.

Not really the travelling football fans ideal.

A few queries (been there twice with work):

• "Strict dress codes"? Not really, when I went there (twice), t-shirts and shorts were fine. Sure, walking round with your shirt off probably isn't the done thing, but nor is it in many countries
  • "Unfriendly society" - I found the locals (there's very few actual locals) to be pretty pleasant
  • "Weather" - your friend is talking about summer. This will be winter. I've been there twice in winter, perfectly pleasant, warm, yes, but mid-30s and dry heat. Evenings cooler. Quite pleasant.

Mind you, the whole regime is unpleasant and the way they treat their migrant workers is appalling. As a side note, the working standards for them makes you realise why the much-criticised "health and safety" culture of this country is a good thing. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

• "Strict dress codes"? Not really, when I went there (twice), t-shirts and shorts were fine. Sure, walking round with your shirt off probably isn't the done thing, but nor is it in many countries
  • "Unfriendly society" - I found the locals (there's very few actual locals) to be pretty pleasant
  • "Weather" - your friend is talking about summer. This will be winter. I've been there twice in winter, perfectly pleasant, warm, yes, but mid-30s and dry heat. Evenings cooler. Quite pleasant.

Mind you, the whole regime is unpleasant and the way they treat their migrant workers is appalling. As a side note, the working standards for them makes you realise why the much-criticised "health and safety" culture of this country is a good thing. 

PS and it bloody rained one day, too.

PPS: did the same in Saudi, pissed it down. I'm cursed.

18 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

The very fact there is any sort of dress code makes it strict. Think they'll allow female fans to wear shorts around town?

I can only go by the word of my mate, who has worked in UAE, Bahrain and Qatar.

He found the Bahrainis the friendliest and Qataris the least. He had friends among the expat and South Asian community there, but not the Arabs. 

At any rate, it isn't a football culture,  nor one used to josting large numbers of fans from across the world.

It is a farce it was ever considered, let alone granted the gig. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SecretSam said:

PS and it bloody rained one day, too.

PPS: did the same in Saudi, pissed it down. I'm cursed.

Funny that. Many years ago I was flying Dammam to Doha and en route to the airport my driver highlighted the many abandoned vehicles that had crashed off the road following an overnight downpour that had occured hours earlier. He explained that as such deluges were infrequent and roads so slick, many drivers didn't know how to drive in the wet. Some drivers would leave cars abandoned and buy replacements, apparently there was a trade in such opportunity.

Problem was we prepared to land in Doha just as a monsoon strength deluge broke. But a few feet from the tarmac we heard the klaxons sound, entered a nigh-on vertical climb and went into an emergency go-around, though not before I noticed from my window the heads of several unfortunate and drenched lackeys who were attempting (with little success,) to sweep water off the runway with brooms.

As you say, H&S and water management aren't the best in the Middle East.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

The very fact there is any sort of dress code makes it strict. Think they'll allow female fans to wear shorts around town?

He found the Bahrainis the friendliest and Qataris the least. He had friends among the expat and South Asian community there, but not the Arabs. 

At any rate, it isn't a football culture,  nor one used to josting large numbers of fans from across the world.

Football doesn't negate the decency of respecting others cultures but I agree Qatar should not be hosting the World Cup. We shouldn't however impose western values on an arabic long, proud & influential culture.

I travelled extensively throughout the Middle East, was considerate of its culture even where it didn't concur with my own values and never had a problem other than once inadvertently sitting in a women's area in a cafe in Jeddah (not there was any obvious way to identify,) where having highlighted my error the locals watered and fed me with a smile and for gratis.

You use the term 'strict', so what say we flip cultural norms to see whether you consider us to be as strict as they? I was once travelling in a cab in Bahrain, fancy top-of-the-range Merc, not some backstreet mini cab. Chauffeur smartly dressed in crystal white dishdasha, butterfly style shumagh, classy. A slight delay at a set of lights and he gets out the car, hoicks up his thwab and proceeds to curl one out in the road. Nobody (save me) batted an eyelid. He climbed back in and life continued. Do you reckon he'd think us strict for not allowing him to do likewise here?

On 21/09/2022 at 17:57, sticks 1969 said:

Every major tournament 

your going to get shot

your going to get mugged

No hotels 

bla bla bla bla 

bullshit every time 

Bristol City lads have been there before for a game  v Brazil and? Drank in a gated complex for tourists. Drinking alcohol was restricted and it is exceptionally expensive.

Years later. Drinking alcohol is stiil restricted and it is exceptionally expensive.

It will be unlike any other tournament.

Edited by Cowshed

6 hours ago, Never to the dark side said:

2)All visitors are expected to have a covid pass on their phones,to make sure they(the visitors) are at any one time

? ? 

Any country still insisting on a covid pass is living in their own strange reality, and quite frankly, in a clown world. 
Even more reason to not go, for me. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

There's a dress code in lots of places. You can't go into St Peter's Square with uncovered arms and legs, for example (IIRC). Similarly, women topless on general beaches here is forbidden. That's a dress code.

Whether the local authorities in Qatar relax some rules during the World Cup remains to be seen. The drunkeness rule is going to be a problem, and I'm told Qatari jails are not pleasant.

9 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Bristol City lads have been there before for a game  v Brazil and? Drank in a gated complex for tourists. Drinking alcohol was restricted and it is exceptionally expensive.

Years later. Drinking alcohol is stiil restricted and it is exceptionally expensive.

It will be unlike any other tournament.

I don't know current prices, but back in the day it was (say) double London prices.

I understand in many Scandi countries, alcohol is very pricey. 

End of the day, it's their country, if they have rules you don't like...don't go.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

Football doesn't negate the decency of respecting others cultures but I agree Qatar should not be hosting the World Cup. We shouldn't however impose western values on an arabic long, proud & influential culture.

I travelled extensively throughout the Middle East, was considerate of its culture even where it didn't concur with my own values and never had a problem other than once inadvertently sitting in a women's area in a cafe in Jeddah (not there was any obvious way to identify,) where having highlighted my error the locals watered and fed me with a smile and for gratis.

You use the term 'strict', so what say we flip cultural norms to see whether you consider us to be as strict as they? I was once travelling in a cab in Bahrain, fancy top-of-the-range Merc, not some backstreet mini cab. Chauffeur smartly dressed in crystal white dishdasha, butterfly style shumagh, classy. A slight delay at a set of lights and he gets out the car, hoicks up his thwab and proceeds to curl one out in the road. Nobody (save me) batted an eyelid. He climbed back in and life continued. Do you reckon he'd think us strict for not allowing him to do likewise here?

:laugh: getting an Uber back to the airport in Riyadh during a massive downpour (including lightning) was...an experience

On 21/09/2022 at 18:38, Winterstoke toad said:

It’s all click bait for media companies 

In South Africa everyone was gonna get kidnapped for ransom .

In Brazil everyone was gonna get stabbed or shot by people from the favelas.

In Russia everyone was gonna get stamped to death by white supremacy football hooligans .

Once the tournament starts all worries about the location will be forgotten about and the media will move on to turning fans against  the team for not being good enough.

Ah, but remember the cautionary tale of Swiss football fan Rolf Bantle.

Football fan slept rough for 10 years after getting lost going to the toilet at San Siro

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/fan-homeless-milan-lost-toilet-27394830