IGNORED

Well done Nige

dREDful

Gotta say I thought the starting line up looked shocking defensively and so it played out but well done to him for not only making the changes but firing up the side at half time leading to a brilliant turnaround.

I hope this is the wake up call the club needs. Before the likes of Bryan and Reid the Academy produced no one of real note for most of the previous 20 years. We've now gone to believe we can almost wholly rely on it where it is quite clear a number of the youngsters aren't ready or maybe never will be for this level in all reality. 

Let's invest in some transfers and kick on to give us some hope for the next season now. Well done Nige. 

• Like 12
  • Hmmm 1

38 minutes ago, RedNachos said:

dont think he can take much credit for that win, given his selection, which put us in a shit place to go in to halftime, but glad to see he corrected it.

Correcting errors in team selection is the sign of a good manager.

Have you ever managed an actual football team? You know with humans playing as opposed to a computer game?  Whether their male / female young or old they have good and bad days. Having the honesty and decisiveness to see what's happening and change it is possibly the clearest sign of a good manager 

Edited by The Bard
  • Like 11

“Invest in some transfers”.

It’s like that £38m loss last week never happened, isn’t it?

I thought the selection was brave but we had better get used to it, we aren’t spending money any time soon, those kids plus the likes of Weimann, Kalas (both immense again today) & Matty James are it.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Fuber said:

I do wonder if he was making a point with regards higher ups re reliance on the academy, as well as to us as fans.

Either way. Onwards and upwards.

Yes and no.  End of the day Towler recalled as we're struggling specifically with Baker. We need to see if he is ready to be a squad member so he needs to be put in the side. Against a decent strike force tofmdsy he struggled so I'd say he needs league 2 experience and recall Taylor Moore...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, The Bard said:

Correcting errors in team selection is the sign of a good manager.

Have you ever managed an actual football team? You know with humans playing as opposed to a computer game?  Whether their male / female young or old they have good and bad days. Having the honesty and decisiveness to see what's happening and change it is possibly the clearest sign of a good manager 

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, but I think starting Towler and Benarous over Massengo is not something a manager who can take credit for a good win should do. Although I agree recovering from this mistake was good from Nige, why was it necessary to have to do it? Having little obvious mistakes to recover from is my sign of a good manager. And yes I have for the record.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I generally like playing youngsters but I was worried seeing Towler and Benarous in the side when we had Atkinson and Massengo or even Bakinson as options.

He got it right 2nd half though.

Yeah I'm very similar to you in this, its refreshing, but sometimes refreshing isn't what you need when you have a talent like Massengo on the bench

8 minutes ago, Fuber said:

I do wonder if he was making a point with regards higher ups re reliance on the academy, as well as to us as fans.

Somebody else suggested this in an earlier thread. If he was prepared to gamble on losing to make some sort of petulant point that would be pathetic. 

However, it would be completely against type, as whatever you might think about him he’s brutally honest in terms of his decision making. So if he thought the selected team was the best team for today then that’s what he thought. Whether it was a good choice is open to question, but that’s a different point.

15 minutes ago, Fuber said:

Seen a lot of this, if he is then he’s not doing it very well. 

“Look at how much we’re struggling, I’m having to use Towler at CB. Can I have some money please? I’m desperate”

”uhh…we gave you £2m for Atkinson this summer. Why aren’t you using him? We also gave you money for Simpson, where is he?”

”…..ummm. Yeah fair points, sorry” 

Edited by petehinton
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, petehinton said:

“Look at how much we’re struggling, I’m having to use Towler at CB. Can I have some money please? I’m desperate”

”uhh…we gave you £2m for Atkinson this summer. Why aren’t you using him? We also gave you money for Simpson, where is he?”

If I had to guess I would say he picked a team he thought would perform and simply got it wrong. No agendas.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Fuber said:

Great point... i said similar on a different thread.

Starting the game with so many academy lads was done to make a point. 

The Atkinson situation concerns me. The fact that he leaves him out in favour of Towler who has just come back from a loan spell in league 5 raises a number of questions!

• Like 3

I think the OP has a point.  Pearson got out of jail with his half time subs, but he seems to have gone from strong starting line-ups and bizarre substitutions, to weird starting line-ups and game-saving subs!  Great game though, and fantastic second half performance but why oh why can’t we play like that for 90 minutes??

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, The Bard said:

Yes and no.  End of the day Towler recalled as we're struggling specifically with Baker. We need to see if he is ready to be a squad member so he needs to be put in the side. Against a decent strike force tofmdsy he struggled so I'd say he needs league 2 experience and recall Taylor Moore...

I think this might have been the reasoning, moreso than trying to make a point about transfers. See where Towler is at and whether he can be an option for us in the second half of the season. If he isn't up to it yet, get him back out on loan, assuming that we can?

It didn't work today and was rightly rectified at half time, but if my thinking is correct then I wouldn't be entirely shocked to see him start the cup game next week to give it another go.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dREDful said:

Gotta say I thought the starting line up looked shocking defensively and so it played out but well done to him for not only making the changes but firing up the side at half time leading to a brilliant turnaround.

I hope this is the wake up call the club needs. Before the likes of Bryan and Reid the Academy produced no one of real note for most of the previous 20 years. We've now gone to believe we can almost wholly rely on it where it is quite clear a number of the youngsters aren't ready or maybe never will be for this level in all reality. 

Let's invest in some transfers and kick on to give us some hope for the next season now. Well done Nige. 

With all due respect we shat on LJ for doing the same consistently.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, petehinton said:

I never mentioned Towler.

By all means the penalty was 100% the error of a young defender. 

I actually thought Benarous and Vyner played worse first half.

Think the team selection is part of the big ‘re-set’.

We’re totally messed up on FFP thanks to Ashton and a model that didn’t invest in a scouting network or a person at the head of the Club with footballing nouse (a DoF).

So, I suspect we’re running close next year to FFP limits - possibly forecast to go beyond next season with a risk of points deductions. So, imo we’re gambling now on completely revising the cost base of the Club before we get to a point-deduction position. If it’s not FFP, then it’s the Lansdown’s getting fed up with bailing out the Club, particularly when the entertainment value is nil. Maybe a combination of both.

Effectively, all senior players, bar Andi and Bakes who negotiated lower wages, are up for sale with a clear message to their agents by not playing them to move the players on. 

We are blooding the youngsters in part out of necessity, in part, because they’re now our future. This, now, is the final pillar still standing of the strategy as all others have failed.

As a long term critic of the Academy I genuinely hope we have enough talent to keep us up and sustain us in the Championship. Judgement day for Tins and others.

37 minutes ago, Edgy Red said:

The Atkinson situation concerns me. The fact that he leaves him out in favour of Towler who has just come back from a loan spell in league 5 raises a number of questions!

I just get the feeling that we are not going to see much of him until he changed his views on vacation and gets the jab,