IGNORED

Is continuity big part of the problem

1960maaan

I was looking through starting line up's earlier, yeah I know life in the Bus Lane. Anyway , it does look like our inability to play the same players/system/formation could be a big part of the problem.
For example, Atkinson with Kalas, RA has job of winning first ball. Baker & Kalas , Baker has first ball. Kalas Vyner or Kalas Pring , Kalas might have that job. My point is , we haven't been able to put out the same pairing/partnership for any length of time, or long enough for them to form a partnership. 
Looking at it, we played the same defence 4 times in a row. That's once this season that all of our defence has been unchanged. One other 5 game run we managed to keep the CB's together, only changing Full Backs. 
Add in formation changes that have , on occasion, been forced on us plus now a Keeper change . All these changes go she way towards explaining the confusion in defence at times. Players get used to roles, they get used to partnerships , they know what players will do. This past couple of years have really been difficult to form those partnerships. 

That said , I do think we should be better. We still have players reacting and waiting to see what happens. But again it's hard when over the last 6 games we have had to change at least 2 of the back 4/5. If we can somehow get some continuity in the near future, we might have a chance at cutting these mistakes out.

Looking at those 2 short runs with fewest changes .

We went 5 games in the early part of the season, with the central pair were the same (the odd FB change in 3 games) we conceded  5 goals.

We went 4 games where all the back line was the same, we conceded 3 . 
The following 8 games , all but 1 we made at least 2 changes , we conceded 20.

Not all the problem, but a big part I think.

I tried to note it all, I may have made mistakes , but this is what I came up with. Details from Transfermarkt.co.uk.

1  B’pool ……….        Atkinson…….Baker
2  M’boro……   0
2  Reading………. .   Atkinson …Kalas                   (FB 1)
1  Swansea … 0
1  Cardiff ………0                                                 (FB 1)
0  PNE …………0                                                 (FB 1)
1  Luton …..     0
1  QPR ……..                     Atkinson..Baker..Kalas     (WB2)
1  Fulham …..       Atkinson  Kalas                       (BF2)
1  Millwall …..                   Atkinson Baker Kalas       (WB0)
2  P’boro ……        Atkinson Kalas                        (FB 1)
2  Bmouth ………   Baker Kalas                             (FB1)
2  Forest ……….               Atkinson baker Kalas        (WB1)
3  WBA ………..   0                                                  (WB 1)
1  Barnsly …….      Atkinson Kalas                        (FB 1)
3  Brum ………                  Kalas Atkinson Vyner       (WB 1)
3  COV ……….        Kalas  Vyner                            (FB 1)
1  B burn …….                  Kalas Baker Vyner           (WB 2)
0  Stoke ……..    0
2  Sheff U. …     0
0  Derby ……      0
2  Hull …………                Atkinson Kalas Vyner
3  Huddersfld .. 0                                                  (WB 1)
2  QPR …………..     Kalas Vyner                            (FB 2)
2  Millwall.  ……      Kalas Towler                           (FB 1)
1  Fulham Cup ….         Kalas Atkinson Pring       (WB 2)
6  Fulham ……..             Kalas Vyner Pring            (WB 1)
2  Cardiff …….               Kalas Atkinson Pring       (WB 1)
2  Luton. …….                Kalas Ping Vyner              (WB 1)

First number goals conceded. Opponents . Players, 0 means no change. Number in brackets mean wingback or full back change.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Vespa Red said:

@Davefevs, I think that there may be a pretender to your crown...?

Bollocks!!! ?????

Mike - fill you boots on this!

https://public.tableau.com/app/profile/fevsfootballanalytics/viz/BristolCity2021-22Play/Appsd

Seriously if you click on a players name a little box comes up, there’s an option to drill-down.  That shows you which position they started in each game.

example:

image.thumb.png.d647bafa992d3b2569485b5f80656c42.png

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

No chance, Dave has nicer crayons ?

Absolutely ???

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Mike - fill you boots on this!

https://public.tableau.com/app/profile/fevsfootballanalytics/viz/BristolCity2021-22Play/Appsd

Seriously if you click on a players name a little box comes up, there’s an option to drill-down.  That shows you which position they started in each game.

example:

image.thumb.png.d647bafa992d3b2569485b5f80656c42.png

I like that, very swish. :city:

• Thanks 1

To answer the exam question, what I think is damaging us is a lack of continuity of players available for selection in certain key areas.

Right back, Tanner has missed 2 spells due to injury now, Simpson is clearly not seen as an option.

Centre back, we know all about Baker, but Atkinson is in his second spell out injured now.

Centre mid, King has had a number of injuries, James a second one & Joe Williams, we don’t really need to say more.

Reducing this next season will be crucial as we won’t be running with any bigger numbers than this time out.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

To answer the exam question, what I think is damaging us is a lack of continuity of players available for selection in certain key areas.

Right back, Tanner has missed 2 spells due to injury now, Simpson is clearly not seen as an option.

Centre back, we know all about Baker, but Atkinson is in his second spell out injured now.

Centre mid, King has had a number of injuries, James a second one & Joe Williams, we don’t really need to say more.

Reducing this next season will be crucial as we won’t be running with any bigger numbers than this time out.

Pretty much what I said , but I said it in a much more long winded way.

The possible team we could put out , after seeing some of the potential we have, is quite exciting. 
We are light in certain areas, but have the bones of a good side. If say, Klose came in and did a job, that frees Vyner or Pring to play wider and I see us moving up the table. Longer term, if we can sign a couple to add to the squad, I will actually look forward to next year.

• Like 2

It does not help us. The lack of continuity not just in defence but as @GrahamC mentioned CM too- it all adds up.

I know we're going a back 3 atm but I wonder for some games etc.

O'Leary

Tanner Kalas Atkinson Pring

Massengo James Williams

Scott

Weimann Semenyo

Subs: Bentley, Vyner, Baker, DaSilva, King, O'Dowda, Martin

Just highlights our issues- don't have the biggest squad...although we can for some games look at Martin up front or Benarous for O'Dowda- that 18 isn't necessarily set in stone but a lot IMO would be in that 18 and one or two debatable- and 5 are out with a 6th consistently working their way back.

Bold=currently unavailable, bold with italics means around but still working way back.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous