IGNORED

what's the point of signing or re-signing anyone, when you see big Nige's track record ?

where's the joy

39 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I think Pearson made mistakes in signing Baker, King and Simpson.

He wanted a smaller squad and that needed players to be fit.

2 of those signings were big gambles. Baker due to injury history and King due to age and such little game time in 3 years previous.

Simpson legs are gone it seems.

The other injuries hopefully just bad luck. Tanner, Atkinson and James are all very good signings imo.

I think he said in one interview in the summer about how we need to win first balls in our box. Obviously we are not doing that now from set pieces.

The reason why we are now so bad at defending set pieces is mainly down to the injuries imo.

Signing Simpson was a mistake, but we have no idea what sort of influence he has around the play. King’s exceeded my expectations when he’s played. Baker’s obviously a bad signing in hindsight, but I can understand the logic in re-signing him on significantly reduced terms. Two out of three will be gone in the summer IMO. 

• Like 4

Hindsight is a great thing but I'm not sure it's his fault all those players are injured. I would say maybe the decision to resign Baker albeit on a lower wage after his previous injury record wasn't a great idea looking at it right now, also Andy King had a similar injury history at Leicester so was a big red flag. Its a difficult one because when they've both played before injuries I think they've been decent. It was a risk but it unfortunately didn't pay off. 

Matty James is a player so I'm not surprised he took the chance to sign him again just unlucky to get injured.

Tanner and Atkinson we've missed playing so that just shows they are good signings and due to their respective ages I would hope they will play their part at some point down the line but limited this season.

Even without hindsight signing Simpson looked a terrible idea. Could tell his legs were gone straight away and that won't work in our team at all. Just a bad decision with this one unfortunately, atleast the financial impact isn't massive with this transfer.

2 minutes ago, nickolas said:

Absolutely not. Sounding out Nige for his signings is very hindsight, just like that pr1ck Starmer. 

No… I think you misunderstand… I was asking if you support that Clown - referring to the Clown running our country.  And it appears you probably do. ?‍♂️ 

• Like 14
  • Hmmm 1

What complete and utter nonsense

In Nige we trust

Doubt seriously if any other manager could get us out of the mire that SL and Ashton put us in

BCFC’s hope is that over a three year period, whatever division we are in, Nige will have us going in an upward direction, provided St Steve doesn’t interfere of course!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Robin 1

59 minutes ago, where's the joy said:

James injured

King injured

Tanner injured 

Atkinson injured

Baker injured

Simpson....no one knows 

Pretty sure Nige wasn't involved in injuring any of those players.

You have to consider where we were/are. We had no money, 14 players OOC and we needed players to come in Championship ready.
Simpson is a bad one, but at the end of last season it made sense. He had a steady couple of games and knew the club. Plus we had youngsters as alternatives , so a little experience made sense.
The rest is bad luck, and specially Baker with 2 concussions .

I'd say James & King Have looked classy at times, Atkinson & Tanner very promising and as for Baker. How much would we have to have paid for a Championship ready ball winning Centre Back ? Plus who's to say they (who ever scouted and signed them) wouldn't get injured.

Weimann posting the best numbers we’ve seen from a forward since Reid.

Atkinson and Tanner two young, cheap defenders who look very talented and will grow.

James a very useful and experienced addition to midfield. 

Squad wage down 1/3rd.

Nige has done very well with the transfer market.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, where's the joy said:

James injured

King injured

Tanner injured 

Atkinson injured

Baker injured

Simpson....no one knows 

Last time I looked he was on the bench….v Luton (a), two days ago. ?

Yeah, we’ve had some injuries, I’d say that it’s still a big improvement on last season.  Although Weimann’s injury was different, his availability has been remarkable.  So has Chris Martin and Callum O’Dowda’s who were both long term injuries last season.  O’Dowda had a contact injury 1st game but that’s different.  I was worried that some players might not ever recover, e.g. permanent damage.

Its really difficult to judge from the outside looking in though, hence why I wasn’t overly critical of Rolls.  Paddy Orme admitted “they” cocked up pre-season summer 2020 though.

2 hours ago, JonDolman said:

I think Pearson made mistakes in signing Baker, King and Simpson.

He wanted a smaller squad and that needed players to be fit.

2 of those signings were big gambles. Baker due to injury history and King due to age and such little game time in 3 years previous.

Simpson legs are gone it seems.

The other injuries hopefully just bad luck. Tanner, Atkinson and James are all very good signings imo.

I think he said in one interview in the summer about how we need to win first balls in our box. Obviously we are not doing that now from set pieces.

The reason why we are now so bad at defending set pieces is mainly down to the injuries imo.

I don’t disagree really Jon, although I’m probably a bit more lenient in my view.  Was chatting to someone last night, and trying to make a case that when you have no money, the choices are harder.

Its a bad analogy, but I likened it to buying my first cars.  I didn’t have much money, I ended up buying an “S” Reg Fiesta, that’s S Reg first time around!!  I bought it off someone I knew, I thought that would be safe.  It was a bit crap, full of rust, and didn’t start on cold / damp mornings.  What I really wanted, was something reliable, but for the money I had, I couldn’t afford that.  It wasn’t til many years later I started to be able to buy reliable cars, they cost 10-12x as much as that first car.  Perversely they were cheaper to run as well.

Looking for free transfers is a gamble.

We liked the look of Olosunde (23) in the summer, who went to Preston.  Versatile, RB, RWB, right up our street.

image.thumb.png.bdceabf1696716d6a0463dfaad166a90.png

Shit happens!

We do need to execute better, I accept that.  But I think it’s partly indicative of where we are financially too.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

27 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

Weimann posting the best numbers we’ve seen from a forward since Reid.

Atkinson and Tanner two young, cheap defenders who look very talented and will grow.

James a very useful and experienced addition to midfield. 

Squad wage down 1/3rd.

Nige has done very well with the transfer market.

I think that’s the context to this debate.

Tom Lees took a 2+1 deal with Huddersfield, if we were in for him, that in itself might’ve been a deal breaker, let alone wages.

Its how we got Chris Martin, we offered a 2+1, Derby didn’t.

Cant just look at it based on fee alone…it’s the whole package.

I don’t necessarily subscribe to the argument “Simpson and King will be good in the dressing room / on the training ground” because they were signed to play…but we might look back on this in the long run and hear the likes of Massengo extolling the virtues of King (in fact he has already).  So it adds a bit of grey into the black and white debate.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

Yep it does. But I wanted us to look at other options than Baker. Surely we could have got someone else in on a free or loan who could do a job for us.

Yeah, would love to know who went into the sausage machine and who came out.  That’s the difficult but from the outside looking in.

It was looking a pretty decent re-sign though until the second concussion.  He was playing really well.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Yep it does. But I wanted us to look at other options than Baker. Surely we could have got someone else in on a free or loan who could do a job for us.

Maybe we did look & nothing better materialised?

Tom Lees was the one that was mentioned most, so maybe he wanted far more money? Didn’t need to move house to go from Sheff Wed to Huddersfield?

Seems clear Pearson really likes Baker & if he was prepared to sign on for half of what he was on before, that’s probably how we ended up with him.

• Like 2