IGNORED

what's the point of signing or re-signing anyone, when you see big Nige's track record ?

where's the joy

3 hours ago, BCFCGav said:

Weimann posting the best numbers we’ve seen from a forward since Reid.

Atkinson and Tanner two young, cheap defenders who look very talented and will grow.

James a very useful and experienced addition to midfield. 

Squad wage down 1/3rd.

Nige has done very well with the transfer market.

If that is true, that is very good news.

I largely agree with your post but that is excellent- think Bristol Post said down £6m, the wage bill but 1/3 would be excellent.

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

If that is true, that is very good news.

I largely agree with your post but that is excellent- think Bristol Post said down £6m, the wage bill but 1/3 would be excellent.

I don’t think anyone knows.

My ballpark guesses:

• Weimann £500k saved
  • Baker £500k
  • Diedhiou £750k
  • Hunt £750k
  • Nagy £600k
  • Rowe £300k
  • Walsh £450k
  • Adelakun £350k
  • Paterson £600k
  • Rowe £300k
  • Gilmartin £150k
  • Lansbury, Mariappa, Mawson, Sessegnon

We’ve obviously signed Tanner, Atkinson, King and James.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

My ballpark guesses:

• Weimann £500k saved
  • Baker £500k
  • Diedhiou £750k
  • Hunt £750k
  • Nagy £600k
  • Rowe £300k
  • Walsh £450k
  • Adelakun £350k
  • Paterson £600k
  • Rowe £300k
  • Gilmartin £150k

Thanks- could be 20-25% then maybe? Would that be basic wages or wages plus the % of tax and NI- would be quite interesting to see when this seasons accounts are out in a year or so, if there were loan fees for e.g. Mawson and Sessegnon that too could represent a saving.

Unsure what Brunt was on, he left about halfway through too.

Anyway yeah like I say maybe 20-25%, but 1/3 seems a bit ambitious I think, Would like to be wrong of course!

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

13 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Thanks- could be 20-25% then maybe? Would that be basic wages or wages plus the % of tax and NI- would be quite interesting to see when this seasons accounts are out in a year or so, if there were loan fees for e.g. Mawson and Sessegnon that too could represent a saving.

Unsure what Brunt was on, he left about halfway through too.

Anyway yeah like I say maybe 20-25%, but 1/3 seems a bit ambitious I think, Would like to be wrong of course!

Yeah, agree….£6M = 20% (of £30) seems a reasonable guesstimate.  Couple that with £5m saved in amortisation, that’s a good start to the heavy lifting by Nige.  I hope Ashton Gate Ltd have streamlined some of their costs too!

There is still scope to better that should we be able to move anyone on during the last few days.  Bakinson saves us some money.

15 hours ago, JonDolman said:

I think Pearson made mistakes in signing Baker, King and Simpson.

He wanted a smaller squad and that needed players to be fit.

2 of those signings were big gambles. Baker due to injury history and King due to age and such little game time in 3 years previous.

Simpson legs are gone it seems.

The other injuries hopefully just bad luck. Tanner, Atkinson and James are all very good signings imo.

I think he said in one interview in the summer about how we need to win first balls in our box. Obviously we are not doing that now from set pieces.

The reason why we are now so bad at defending set pieces is mainly down to the injuries imo.

I disagree in that Nige is trying to create a dressing room in his image and he felt/feels that those players will help the younger squad members to achieve that.

I know from talking to one of the younger players that all those signings are influential in the dressing room and at the HPC whether they are playing or not. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

My ballpark guesses:

• Weimann £500k saved
  • Baker £500k
  • Diedhiou £750k
  • Hunt £750k
  • Nagy £600k
  • Rowe £300k
  • Walsh £450k
  • Adelakun £350k
  • Paterson £600k
  • Rowe £300k
  • Gilmartin £150k

You’ve got Rowe in there twice @Davefevs

Edited by Southport Red
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

I disagree in that Nige is trying to create a dressing room in his image and he felt/feels that those players will help the younger squad members to achieve that.

I know from talking to one of the younger players that all those signings are influential in the dressing room and at the HPC whether they are playing or not. 

I am surprised that so many City fans have criticised the recruitment of more experienced but older players.

Do they genuinely believe that it was stupid?

Compare City to any organisation or middle to large company in any branch of industry. The ages range from very young to approaching retirement because the young ones are there to learn from their elders.

Occasionally the young ones will replace the seniors because even though they have less experience, they have better ability. Gerry Gow and now Alex Scott are prime examples of this.

Initially they will make more mistakes than the elders but so long as they learn from those mistakes, they will, in a year or two, be way ahead of them.

Thus, this season, so long as we do not implode and get relegated, has given so many City young ones, the chance of quicker progression than under any manager since AD. We will see the true benefits in the coming months and years.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

It's only my view but for me players are brought in to be fit enough and good enough to play well at this level.

It's no different to thinking Brunt was a bad signing by Holden imo.

I think that is fair. One caveat, the expectations of “minutes” for Tanner especially and Atkinson were lower than the others.  I don’t think King was expected to play every week, but I do expect Nige wanted him to be in the 18 most / almost every week.

Out of interest, here’s the contributions of the 4 signings, and 3 re-signings.  Weimann has obviously played the maximum number of league minutes (he did get subbed in injury time though ?).

I don’t think you’d get many arguments that Simpson has been a bad signing (assume he’s not suddenly gonna play 12-15 games).

Baker is a real bummer, because he was playing well too, had got through his hamstring issue from last season, then concussed twice.

King, not available enough due to injury

Atkinson 68% of minutes is decent.

James 71%, probably a tad lower than we’d hoped.

Tanner probably exceeded expectations of minutes at this point and looked decent.

Weimann has been stellar.

As it stands I’d say the two players we’ve spent money on are fine, sensible.

The freebies / re-signs a right old mix!

But everyone will have their different interpretations.

image.thumb.png.bc52714fb4646a2d5a5f4577b162bfee.png

On 27/01/2022 at 18:25, Fordy62 said:

No… I think you misunderstand… I was asking if you support that Clown - referring to the Clown running our country.  And it appears you probably do. ?‍♂️ 

It doesn’t have to be that black & white. 
Just because someone might hate Starmer doesn’t automatically mean they support Johnson. 
It’s perfectly possible to think they are both a pair of useless dicks and support neither of them. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Maybe we did look & nothing better materialised?

Tom Lees was the one that was mentioned most, so maybe he wanted far more money? Didn’t need to move house to go from Sheff Wed to Huddersfield?

Seems clear Pearson really likes Baker & if he was prepared to sign on for half of what he was on before, that’s probably how we ended up with him.

People underestimate this factor when it comes to older players. Lees probably has a nice house outside Sheffield, perhaps has young children who he doesn`t want to miss see growing up and so on.

A mate of mine can never fathom why a player from, say, Leeds signs for a club like Blackburn when he had interest from someone like Southampton and you can never get him to see that footballers are just like us and maybe don`t want to up sticks and move to the other end of the country or have to spend extended periods of time away from their families.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Harry said:

It doesn’t have to be that black & white. 
Just because someone might hate Starmer doesn’t automatically mean they support Johnson. 
It’s perfectly possible to think they are both a pair of useless dicks and support neither of them. 

Yep. Fair point I suppose, although I have no particular issue with KS. 

Edited by Fordy62