IGNORED

Massengo

pl00peh91

Unfortunately we have an asset, and we know what happens to them; who will it be this time, Brighton/Bournemouth/Fulham; chances are low imo of him still being here next season.... but we will see.

36 minutes ago, gl2 said:

Unfortunately we have an asset, and we know what happens to them; who will it be this time, Brighton/Bournemouth/Fulham; chances are low imo of him still being here next season.... but we will see.

I think the only person who can convince him to stay is Pearson. He's undoubtedly player better under Pearson than he did under Johnson and Holding. Hopefully we finish the year strong, with Massengo being a main focal point along with Scott and Semenyo. If he can convince him to sign the deal, along with other elements of the team coming together, then i don't see why we can't finish top half next season, and be play off contenders the season after. 

Pearson’s always shown faith in Massengo, and Massengo himself has talked about how much he learnt — both on the training ground and in matches — about the positive impacts of King and James. That’s exactly the reason those two were brought it, to help develop the likes of Massengo and Scott.

Scott’s tied down until 2025; Gould needs to offer Massengo a similar extension. Keep those two and if Semenyo keeps developing at the rate he is, we’d have the core of a quality young side for the next three years IMO.

I thought it was mad at the time and even more mental in hindsight that Holden wanted to bomb Massengo out to Birmingham in exchange for Pedersen last year. Thank heck that didn’t happen.

• Thanks 1

Exceptional talents do not stay at our club or any other club when massive opportunity ( in all its forms) comes knocking.The transfer fee potential could be a game changer for NP if he actually gets any of it.

Comments that BCFC would be in some way negligent by failing to get him to sign a new contract demonstrates a failure to understand how football works.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Exceptional talents do not stay at our club or any other club when massive opportunity ( in all its forms) comes knocking.The transfer fee potential could be a game changer for NP if he actually gets any of it.

Comments that BCFC would be in some way negligent by failing to get him to sign a new contract demonstrates a failure to understand how football works.

Yep, it’s ‘nature’. The big fish always feed from the smaller fish.  Just as we pinched Tanner, someone will at some stage do the same with us for HNM. (And Scott) Just hope the pull of  HNM enjoying Bristol makes that day later rather than sooner. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, sludge said:

I swear there was some belter on this very forum a few months ago stating how overrated massengo was and that he was nowhere near good enough ?

This one?

I posted last year and said the kids we have just are not good enough for this level.

Got shot down but has anything changed - No not for me.

Not one of them is doing anything in the first team. 

It’s time we had a good look at the academy and maybe even follow the Brentford model and scrap it and just have a B Tram.

Of the current crop the best we have is Seymenyo who can’t score for toffee. 
    Edwards I like but no where near the first team.

Then -

Scott will never score a goal if he plays 20 games. Needs 2 year on loan in L1 then we will see.

Bakinson no manger likes him due to work rate 

HNM again another who will never score a goal for the club

O’Leary never will make the first team

Bell - to light weight.

Pearson - where did he go?

The list goes on.

Will any of them actually become a first team player for us?

Before every jumps in. Think about we can not win a game in the last 12 months. We had to clear out so much crap and deadwood. They have all had some game time and none them are really what I would call a first team player (Scott won’t start Friday and won’t see him start again)

It’s time to take a look at these kids and think why we only produce players for L1/2 standard.

The days of Bryan,Booby and Kelly look like they are a long way off at the moment.

I know this won’t be popular as everyone loves the kids but I just don’t see it. They are as much of the problem as the recruitment team we have. 

https://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/213401-is-it-time-to-admit-the-kids-are-not-good-enough/&do=findComment&comment=4173397

• Like 1

2 hours ago, P'head Red said:

I think the only person who can convince him to stay is Pearson. He's undoubtedly player better under Pearson than he did under Johnson and Holding. Hopefully we finish the year strong, with Massengo being a main focal point along with Scott and Semenyo. If he can convince him to sign the deal, along with other elements of the team coming together, then i don't see why we can't finish top half next season, and be play off contenders the season after. 

I understand exactly what you are saying, totally agree. However all players want success and for many I guess their ultimate aim must be to play in the Premiership.

HNM is playing his best football right now But is seldom rewarded with team success. He does all that yet finds himself on a losing side or at best a side that cendeeds a win for a draw, in the dying minutes, with few exceptions.

How long is that going to be enough? I’m sure some of the teams mentioned above, Fulham etc are Premiership bound. No guarantee of success for them once they are up but it would be an attractive move for HNM.

It’s going to take all Pearsons skills to convince Massengo, Scott, Semenyo etc that we can be next seasons Fulham, Bournemouth etc, especially as we are being told that we need the money. We seem to find ourselves forever swimming in the vicious circle of finding talent, nurturing talent then waving it goodbye.

Will be hard to stomach losing Massengo and I’m kind of bracing myself for it sadly.

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

This one?

I posted last year and said the kids we have just are not good enough for this level.

Got shot down but has anything changed - No not for me.

Not one of them is doing anything in the first team. 

It’s time we had a good look at the academy and maybe even follow the Brentford model and scrap it and just have a B Tram.

Of the current crop the best we have is Seymenyo who can’t score for toffee. 
    Edwards I like but no where near the first team.

Then -

Scott will never score a goal if he plays 20 games. Needs 2 year on loan in L1 then we will see.

Bakinson no manger likes him due to work rate 

HNM again another who will never score a goal for the club

O’Leary never will make the first team

Bell - to light weight.

Pearson - where did he go?

The list goes on.

Will any of them actually become a first team player for us?

Before every jumps in. Think about we can not win a game in the last 12 months. We had to clear out so much crap and deadwood. They have all had some game time and none them are really what I would call a first team player (Scott won’t start Friday and won’t see him start again)

It’s time to take a look at these kids and think why we only produce players for L1/2 standard.

The days of Bryan,Booby and Kelly look like they are a long way off at the moment.

I know this won’t be popular as everyone loves the kids but I just don’t see it. They are as much of the problem as the recruitment team we have. 

https://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/213401-is-it-time-to-admit-the-kids-are-not-good-enough/&do=findComment&comment=4173397

Don't bring that nonsense up again!

2 hours ago, RedM said:

I understand exactly what you are saying, totally agree. However all players want success and for many I guess their ultimate aim must be to play in the Premiership.

HNM is playing his best football right now But is seldom rewarded with team success. He does all that yet finds himself on a losing side or at best a side that cendeeds a win for a draw, in the dying minutes, with few exceptions.

How long is that going to be enough? I’m sure some of the teams mentioned above, Fulham etc are Premiership bound. No guarantee of success for them once they are up but it would be an attractive move for HNM.

It’s going to take all Pearsons skills to convince Massengo, Scott, Semenyo etc that we can be next seasons Fulham, Bournemouth etc, especially as we are being told that we need the money. We seem to find ourselves forever swimming in the vicious circle of finding talent, nurturing talent then waving it goodbye.

Will be hard to stomach losing Massengo and I’m kind of bracing myself for it sadly.

I fear you are right and hope you are wrong. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RedM said:

I am clinging on to the hope that along with his love of Bristol, that potentially uprooting his Father and 5 sisters will mean that it would only be a top offer that would prise him away. Those querying why we turned down an offer from Watford should consider whether he wanted to go there anyway. He knows how much more football he is playing here than he would have at most clubs, he is part of a young group under a Manager who is looking to develop them all as far as he can.

• Like 2

Sadly he won't be here forever, but I'm hopeful that he stays for another 2 seasons perhaps? He has thrived under Pearson so he must have a good level of respect for him, and his family are now based in Bristol. Seems to have a very professional head on him so hopefully he won't just jump at the first opportunity for a fat payrise.

9 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

I am clinging on to the hope that along with his love of Bristol, that potentially uprooting his Father and 5 sisters will mean that it would only be a top offer that would prise him away. Those querying why we turned down an offer from Watford should consider whether he wanted to go there anyway. He knows how much more football he is playing here than he would have at most clubs, he is part of a young group under a Manager who is looking to develop them all as far as he can.

Thought it was nice to see a nice bit of youngster banter on Robins Uncut recently.  Han part of it, always felt until I saw that that he was on the periphery of things in terms of team bonding.  So I really enjoyed seeing this.  Han, Tommy, Alex and others.

• Flames 1

It's unbelievable the amount of people that wrote him off last season. Was clearly an intelligent footballer from the moment he arrived and now he's improved his strength and conditioning he's able to impose himself on games. If we can shift KP/Wells he should be getting a serious pay rise. Tying Semenyo, HNM and Scott down is a now or never situation.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, KegCity said:

It's unbelievable the amount of people that wrote him off last season. Was clearly an intelligent footballer from the moment he arrived and now he's improved his strength and conditioning he's able to impose himself on games. If we can shift KP/Wells he should be getting a serious pay rise. Tying Semenyo, HNM and Scott down is a now or never situation.

I though Scott was already done (for 3 years at least) but may be imagining that.

But yes, agree. We’ve not had many highlights this season, on or off the pitch. Getting HNM and AS on new deals would top just about anything else so far. 

He was obviously great at Preston, but let’s not suddenly pretend he’s been consistently fantastic or dominated lots of games. He’s talented but still young and inconsistent. Quite recently we’ve been saying that he gets out of position too much and chases the ball unnecessarily. Still needs time - unless every game is suddenly like Preston.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Leveller said:

He was obviously great at Preston, but let’s not suddenly pretend he’s been consistently fantastic or dominated lots of games. He’s talented but still young and inconsistent. Quite recently we’ve been saying that he gets out of position too much and chases the ball unnecessarily. Still needs time - unless every game is suddenly like Preston.

Luton wasn’t bad either…..

Know what you mean, and certainly he had a spell earlier in the season when his form dipped.

But, as well as his age (still learning etc) it’s only recently that we’ve started playing in a more settled formation and him individually in a more settled role. I’m sure that’s helped. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, italian dave said:

I though Scott was already done (for 3 years at least) but may be imagining that.

But yes, agree. We’ve not had many highlights this season, on or off the pitch. Getting HNM and AS on new deals would top just about anything else so far. 

Summer 2025….so 3 1/2 years left.

• Thanks 2

On 29/01/2022 at 17:58, JonDolman said:

2nd best performance for us after QPR. Not much difference really from that, just bloody brilliant.

I think he loves playing with Scott, they really compliment each other

Never a truer saying than Necessity is the mother of invention. Thin squad, poor results and some poorly performing senior pros. In come the kids and of course they take a while to get up to speed BUT

a) I am looking forward to games more now than for ages

b) At the beginning of the season somebody would have said that Pring, Massengo, Antoine and Scott would be our game winners you would have laughed

c) I actually think we have a bright future

d) This will encourage more young players to join our academy.

Well done to SL for bring in and sticking with NP.

Well done to Tinnion for creating kids with a great ability and attitude

Well done the crowd for not getting on the players back when they could see 100% effort. Lets hear a bit more of "he's one of our own"

• Like 9

59 minutes ago, Leveller said:

He's been on this level for a while now, in my opinion. James has taken a lot of plaudits when he's been fit but Massengo's ability to win the ball and play a progressive pass quickly has been overlooked all season (and before then). The nature of that role means he gets "out of position" and "chases the ball unnecessarily" because that's what he brings to the team. He won't be able to tackle every single player that gets the ball in the middle of the park, that's where he needs a Williams style player to help him break up play and then allow Massengo to progress up the pitch.

He puts the fear of god into defenders when he runs at them and he's regularly beating them in one v one situations. Uses his pace really well to slow down, bait a challenge, and then skip past and gain another 10 yards before releasing the ball. Really special player that has the potential to be a top top player one day. I'd make him one of the top earners here if we can shift some deadwood, but appreciate this isn't Football Manager. From a footballing POV he can definitely be part of a promotion winning side a few years down the line and from a business sense a nice long contract means we can get the most for our asset if we choose to let him go.

• Like 4