IGNORED

Do the media generally dislike us?

Bcfc3660

Sky Sports highlights of todays game

https://www.skysports.com/football/preston-north-end-vs-bristol-city/report/447684

We played well but most of the write up is about PNE. The highlights show us in a good light but for a neutral just reading the write up…

This happens a lot. If we win the other team were unlucky. If the other team win the only mention we get is who they were playing.

It pi55es me off! 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Bcfc3660 said:

https://www.skysports.com/football/preston-north-end-vs-bristol-city/report/447684

We played well but most of the write up is about PNE. The highlights show us in a good light but for a neutral just reading the write up…

This happens a lot. If we win the other team were unlucky. If the other team win the only mention we get is who they were playing.

It pi55es me off! 

Preston are in the "not famous anymore" category. We're in the "meh, beige" category. We've been shite for 100 years, it's not the media, it's us! We're not interesting. It's our responsibility to be interesting, not sky's to be interested in us (when we're not interesting).

We were interesting for three months in 2017/18, and media were all over us (pissing off fans elsewhere) before quickly returning to our usual dull, shite, beige shiteness. Which isn’t of any great interest to sky or anyone else outside Bristol (and most people within it).

• Like 15

12 minutes ago, Bcfc3660 said:

It pi55es me off! 

It's always been the same, even our local media don't give us the air time/credit, seeming to favour or at least give the other lot equal time and space, with credit for little achievements. Especially when the bigger audience for BCFC should demand more coverage. I note there's been a little change in recent years from the TV side of things, certainly not the press or radio though. That is unless it's a bad news story, in which case, they're all over it.

When the world cup was being awarded around England, the reporter at Ashton Gate, asked a supporter how she felt having "little Bristol City" being selected as a WC venue. 

Mostly it's down to history and our own constant failure to actually achieve anything of note on the bigger stage. So the perception is to lump us in with the Peterboroughs, Scunthorpes, Walsalls and the like of the footballing world, along with lasy journalism.

14 minutes ago, Bcfc3660 said:

Due to being at work today I had to listen to Radio Bristol who were covering the Yeovil game. 10 minutes after our first goal they hadn’t even mentioned it on Radio so I had to tune in to 5 live. 

Different frequencies- depending where abouts you were, it can cross over with Somerset Sound- if that's still a thing but basically could have been that.

I've spent a lifetime working in the media, largely at the BBC - at times in the world of sport. There are a lot of City fans out there...and Rovers too. For all that it's not considered a football hotbed Bristol is a big place, lots of successful media folk are Bristolians.

As others have said City are, however, always considered by others as a side with 'potential' - which we rather pathetically fail to achieve. The pathetic nature of our underachievement gains us little sympathy!

If we went up it would be a big story...a love-in would start.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

1 hour ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Preston are in the "not famous anymore" category. We're in the "meh, beige" category. We've been shite for 100 years, it's not the media, it's us! We're not interesting. It's our responsibility to be interesting, not sky's to be interested in us (when we're not interesting).

We were interesting for three months in 2017/18, and media were all over us (pissing off fans elsewhere) before quickly returning to our usual dull, shite, beige shiteness. Which isn’t of any great interest to sky or anyone else outside Bristol (and most people within it).

Brilliant post! 

We’re not famous never were. We’re not famous never were!

We’rrreee shit agggggghhh!

Explains it perfectly!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Red Exile said:

I've spent a lifetime working in the media, largely at the BBC - at times in the world of sport. There are a lot of City fans out there...and Rovers too. For all that it's not considered a football hotbed Bristol is a big place, lots of successful media folk are Bristolians.

As others have said City are, however, always considered by others as a side with 'potential' - which we rather pathetically fail to achieve. The pathetic nature of our underachievement gains us little sympathy!

I am aware of numerous media being City fans (though bizarrely locally none apart from Richard Latham who have reported on us, are) but always find the Rovers bit of this statement a surprise.

Their gates are frankly rubbish & if we think we are underachievers, then they are far worse.

I just don’t understand the point of them.

4 minutes ago, Bouncearoundtheground said:

No. Every fan of every club believes there is a level of media bias against them. There isn’t. I just don’t think many people care about us 

2 hours ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Question And answer!

1 hour ago, Red Exile said:

I struggle to work you guys out compared to the likes of us you have everything in place but seem destined to stay mid table in the championship year in year out which can become boring for the fans who expect much more.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Clevedon Red said:

Was on 94.9 FM in Bristol. 

And I can just about receive a dodgy commentary, consistency wise, living in Burnham on Sea. Why was the Gas match on channel 719, the only way one can receive a radio commentary apart from paying BCTV for a stram that is about three minutes behind time.

Radio Bristol? Awful coverage of their region's largest club by a country mile.

7 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I am aware of numerous media being City fans (though bizarrely locally none apart from Richard Latham who have reported on us, are) but always find the Rovers bit of this statement a surprise.

Their gates are frankly rubbish & if we think we are underachievers, then they are far worse.

I just don’t understand the point of them.

Nor me - but I worked with two who were open and unashamed in their support for the blue few.

2 minutes ago, Shaun Taylor said:

I struggle to work you guys out compared to the likes of us you have everything in place but seem destined to stay mid table in the championship year in year out which can become boring for the fans who expect much more.

well...I can only say that the year-in, year-out, revelation of new ways in which we can be just a bit too rubbish to succeed has its own fascination. 

A 2014-15 romp is of course a joy, but very much the exception!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

well...I can only say that the year-in, year-out, revelation of new ways in which we can be just a bit too rubbish to succeed has its own fascination. 

A 2014-15 romp is of course a joy, but very much the exception!

You can't keep living in the past plus you've left those dark league one days behind!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Shaun Taylor said:

It's fine margins, a few decent signings in the summer and you could be where Blackburn are next season.

We just need to discover that Tommy Conway is 25% Uruguayan. 

Then we'd be interesting enough to get the odd paragraph in the press.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Shaun Taylor said:

You can't keep living in the past plus you've left those dark league one days behind!

I’d quit worrying about us if I were you and turn your attentions back home.  We’re absolutely fine ta ??

Edited by lenred

Having not lived in Bristol for 11 years I have learnt we are seen as a small club to most. We are generally seen as a similar sized club to Rotherham, Luton, etc. 

Our big problem is we haven't been overly successful in the past or played in the premier League.

People generally see the likes of Hull, Huddersfield, Watford and Swansea as bigger clubs than us even though we probably have a bigger fan base. Just they have played in the premier League and we haven't. 

31 minutes ago, Robbored said:

The national media don’t dislike us - to them we’re minnows and the take little or no interest in us.

Yep- pretty much. Occasionally there's a little bit of condescending humour about us. Yet our time may well still come.

I bet you remember how , in the past, our new signings and even the occasional journo described BCFC as a 'sleeping giant'. No one has said that in ages- we are not a giant and never will be but we are are still sleeping.