IGNORED

The biggest of big calls

Silvio Dante

I’m an optimist, but not that much of an optimist.

I have no idea how much capacity there will be to re-shape the squad this summer (I know there won’t be much cash to spend, so I mean ability to bring any players in).

After that I think we’ll have a good idea how we will do.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Which again, is why I think we go for it. Not by overspending, but retaining and adding sensibly. @Steve Watts will tell you I called Scott’s value months ago. He’s £20m. Easily. It’s chicken feed for some prem clubs for an 18 year old in the international setup with (what he will have) of 40 games and combined double digits assists/goals at Champ. That’s Spurs catnip. And it will be in a year. 

But if we retain him for a year that value doesn’t drop. And FFP is still not a problem. So we go for it next year, as opposed to selling. It’s totally set up for that.

I've no idea what you're talking about.  You told me just before Christmas that Scott would never make a footballer as long as he had a hole in his arse....  and followed that by getting all excited to learn that Neil Kilkenny is still playing and may be tempted away from Western Union to return home......! ?

I was having a convo with a Reading fan tonight.  They're absolutely spitting fire at the manager for saying that "Apart from the four goals, we played well" after their hammering by QPR today.  I told him that I can understand what the managers saying....unless they really were shit.  We shipped 6 at Fulham and we were all praising the overall performance.  A mad 20 minutes of defensive capitulation in the first half, (which could've been different if the pen had been given for the foul on Dasilva at 3-2 instead of them going straight up the other end to make it 4-2) was bookended by a really good, if wasteful, performances where we really took the game to the best team in the league.

Whether it's a measure of how bad we've been for the last few years, that we're getting all giddy about playing exciting football for once, or whether we're genuinely just recognising the potential for this to be the start of something very special remains to be seen.  But I can't see many fans around the country being so happy with what they're seeing after the last two results. 

It really does feel like it's all beginning to come together.  It's just the small matter of getting to the root of the defensive problem.  Sort that out and a play-off push is no longer the stuff of fairy tales, but a genuine possibility.

12 hours ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

We have no where near enough money and or quality to get promoted. What purpose does spouting this crap serve?

I will put every penny I own on that we wont be promoted to the Premier league in 5 years.

Not negative, I love the way we're going right now, but this is our level. 

What would it take for you to put all your money on it? We've probably got a less than 10% chance of getting promoted to the prem in the next 5 years if all the current rules stay as they are.

I agree that saying the things the original post said just raises expectations only to then not meet them so looks like a failure when it won't be. Next season may be the toughest to stomach one way or another (sales of players we don't want to sale or points deduction) for a while with impending P&L issues.

Dear Forum,

Two weeks ago we got hammered 6-2 vs Fulham.

Yesterday, we played well and drew 2-2 away at mid table PNE.

One week from now, we will have lost at Blackpool and it will be "pearson out", at least according to @ralphmilnesleft foot and @hampshirered.

Let's have a sense of perspective shall we. and consider the long term.

We are in phase 1 of a massive rebuilding job, on and off the field. The young players have come in and to some degree displaced the old guard. We're playing positive front foot football, mainly due to the positive impact of Semenyo.

Pearson is showing us a glimpse of what is possible. We're still shipping goals for fun. And many on this forum still think that "scoring" is our problem...:laugh:. When did we last keep a clean sheet.

Phase two is consolidation (next season). Phase 3 is the push (season after). Who knows, it may all click next year. And we have to keep our best players for that big push. If we sell it aint gonna happen. So do we keep them and risk losing them on a free, push for promotion and keep them? OR do we sell them and be unable to replace them? Stick or twist ladies and gents...

Of course there is another way, that we have players tee'd up as replacements. But we're Bristol City. A half baked custard tart.

And there's FFP and all that other stuff around finances to throw into the mix as well.

Cheers

DaveInSA

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, DaveInSA said:

Dear Forum,

Two weeks ago we got hammered 6-2 vs Fulham.

Yesterday, we played well and drew 2-2 away at mid table PNE.

One week from now, we will have lost at Blackpool and it will be "pearson out", at least according to @ralphmilnesleft foot and @hampshirered.

Let's have a sense of perspective shall we. and consider the long term.

We are in phase 1 of a massive rebuilding job, on and off the field. The young players have come in and to some degree displaced the old guard. We're playing positive front foot football, mainly due to the positive impact of Semenyo.

Pearson is showing us a glimpse of what is possible. We're still shipping goals for fun. And many on this forum still think that "scoring" is our problem...:laugh:. When did we last keep a clean sheet.

Phase two is consolidation (next season). Phase 3 is the push (season after). Who knows, it may all click next year. And we have to keep our best players for that big push. If we sell it aint gonna happen. So do we keep them and risk losing them on a free, push for promotion and keep them? OR do we sell them and be unable to replace them? Stick or twist ladies and gents...

Of course there is another way, that we have players tee'd up as replacements. But we're Bristol City. A half baked custard tart.

And there's FFP and all that other stuff around finances to throw into the mix as well.

Cheers

DaveInSA

stop talking sense for Gods sake Dave

• Haha 1