IGNORED

Pen / Dive / looking for it . Quest.

1960maaan

5 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

His leg only looks in an "unnatural position" because he is changing direction.  He hasn't left it hanging like a Ronaldo type of challenge. A penalty. The other challenge on him on the other side of the box was a great tackle.

Yeah, I agree, had a great view of the other one, deffo no penalty. The tackle on Pring was a fk all day long, the guy did play the ball but it was a tackle from behind. Had a great view of both incidents. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Slippin cider said:

For me, the ref wasn’t in a good enough position to not give it and with no VAR it’s a pen . 

Whether he was in a good position or not is debateable. But if you’re saying he wasn’t in a good enough position to see it properly, then he’s not going to give it, is he? He should only give it if he’s certain. 

3 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

Their version had Semenyo sticking his leg out to get a Pen. A player who is on fire and getting his first run of goals. A player, by their words, who has been involved in 9 goals in last 8 appearances. A player that has the legs of the defender and running non Goal.  Personally I don't think so.
TBF I get why they are trying to say that, Semenyo's foot hits the back of the guy's leg, but it's because he's running across AS's line, IMO any way.

Here you go.

For me, he try to do exactly what Dean Ashton says he would do, the defender trips him. Semenyo doesn't reach his leg out to get tripped , he goes for the ball.  You just know, our next Pen, due about 2025, will be a soft one after having 3 actual assaults turned down.
Anyway, screen shot below. For me shows he is just running towards the ball. The other I thought was a Pen, on HNM, I guess we will have to wait to see if they publish the full 90 to see it.

310049691_Screenshot2022-01-30at09_11_57.png.cb6ac5637f6b92eceac0732362f71f3c.png

Have to say that pretty much confirms the view I had of it at the time yesterday.

Probably not a pen. But how it’s a foul by Semenyo is beyond me.

No way it was a dive, and I don’t think he was ‘looking for it’ either - he was just trying to make it difficult for the defender to track his run - what any decent forward would do. 

Edited by italian dave

This is why Var is flawed, so many different opinions/perspectives of the same footage. No one is necessarily right or wrong either.

I think it’s a pen, clever play from Semenyo exactly what he should be doing there, drive across the defender and he either has to let you go or foul you.

That said, in slow mo I don’t think he’s quite got ahead or across the defender in time to “perfect” it there

As a defender (many moons ago), often the attacker would cut across your path so, as was pointed out by a number of people, the defender has a choice to pull out or clatter into the BACK of the defender. Thankfully I had a turn of foot in those days (we are talking during the last century here!!) and more often than not I could remain in front of the attacker. I would have been more than a little miffed if a penalty had been given in these circumstances.

The key word here is 'BACK' and Semenyo's foot clearly hits the BACK of the defenders leg, before he tumbles. Therefore the defender was (marginally) in front and entitled to follow his path - no penalty. Ironically, Semenyo clearly has the legs of the defender and the same manoeuvre but one step later and he will have got past the defender or got the penalty shout!

Mind you its about time a referee got one wrong in our favour and awarded a penalty!!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

Semenyo is past him. The defender bungling into him is unlucky but it is clumsy. He also doesn’t try to play the ball. He just runs into him. It is a pen and one you’d expected given 90% of the time. It is given even more a division higher. 

If you are interested in referees views the incident is discussed on the referees site refs chat. The full house is so far is no foul. 

PNE -BCFC | RefChat - The Refereeing Forum

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

If you are interested in referees views the incident is discussed on the referees site refs chat. The full house is so far is no foul. 

Confirmation bias though isn’t it?  All we see is a Penalty, all PNE fans see is no penalty, all referees see is “Ref got it right”. Fact is, you see those given in the EPL every week. 

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Southport Red said:

Confirmation bias though isn’t it?  

Its qualified referees interpreting a decision using rules that omit bias.

48 minutes ago, Southport Red said:

All we see is a Penlaty

Several posters above your post have differing views. I see a foul on the PNE player.

Edited by Cowshed

36 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Thanks for posting: interesting. 

Funny how even a bunch of refs can’t completely agree. And one has to rely on the freeze frame slow motion reverse angle before reaching a conclusion - hopefully s/he’s a bit more spontaneous when reffing a game! 

7 minutes ago, Mad Cyril said:

There is a reason that (fact incoming) since 2018/19, of all the 31 leagues in Europe, Bristol City have been awarded less penalties than any other club.

I just need to work out what that reason is. I do know it hacks me right off though...

We didn't create much for a lot of 2019/20, 2020/21 and parts of 2018/19 and the present- that's one aspect although with slight recency bias it gets worse.

1st November 2020 to 31st January 2022, in the League one that's one penalty only.

I've seen the posts on here, and that "Refs" forum thing, and I have a question.

The defender is crossing Semenyo's line, he puts his leg in front of AS as he runs. Exactly as you would if you were trying to trip someone. AS is not waving his leg out like Vardy has done to force contact. It looks like he kicks the blokes leg because the defender has crossed his line.
Obviously it isn't nailed on, as there seems to be differing thoughts, but Pen all day for me. Maybe one day. 50p on us missing it when it comes.

780813938_Screenshot2022-01-30at09_11_57.png.5787b378e26a396bcd37562b29e33046.png

14 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

I've seen the posts on here, and that "Refs" forum thing, and I have a question.

The defender is crossing Semenyo's line, he puts his leg in front of AS as he runs. Exactly as you would if you were trying to trip someone. AS is not waving his leg out like Vardy has done to force contact. It looks like he kicks the blokes leg because the defender has crossed his line.
Obviously it isn't nailed on, as there seems to be differing thoughts, but Pen all day for me. Maybe one day. 50p on us missing it when it comes.

780813938_Screenshot2022-01-30at09_11_57.png.5787b378e26a396bcd37562b29e33046.png

What was your question?

1 hour ago, Leveller said:

If the attacker initiates the contact - ie sticks his leg out to make the defender run into it, as AS did - then that shouldn’t be a foul, for me. It’s basically the same as diving.

I don’t think he did stick his leg out, he had changed the direction of his run to cut across towards goal.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I don’t think he did stick his leg out, he had changed the direction of his run to cut across towards goal.

That's obviously the point that's near impossible to be certain about, and why the Ref's job is so hard. To me, he extended his leg out wider than he would have simply to change direction.

https://streamja.com/29M0k

Edited by Leveller