IGNORED

Celtic v rangers

sticks 1969

39 minutes ago, Robbored said:

The SPL is a two horse race every season - it’s pretty meaningless to anyone outside of Scotland.

We all know you don’t like the SPL. Lots of people on here have a preference out of Celtic and Rangers and will look out for the Old Firm result.

You don’t get many people doing that for any other international derby. Also the atmosphere is fantastic. Not sure it’s ‘meaningless’ to ‘anyone outside of Scotland’ - just to you.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

We all know you don’t like the SPL. Lots of people on here have a preference out of Celtic and Rangers and will look out for the Old Firm result.

You don’t get many people doing that for any other international derby. Also the atmosphere is fantastic. Not sure it’s ‘meaningless’ to ‘anyone outside of Scotland’ - just to you.

Not me! Absolutely zero interest in the SPL - as I said it’s a two horse race every season and to me incredibly boring…….:sleeping:

Funnily enough, I was just chatting with friends the other day about when I worked with Rangers & Celtic, around the late 00s. My company sponsored both clubs...when we visited Celtic, they were ultra-professional, easy to deal with, treated us to a cracking sponsor's day at their training ground, with a load of freebies including full match kit (I ended up with NZ international Chris Killen's) and a meal at Celtic Park later. Rangers were polar opposite...a complete mess from a commercial point of view. Interestingly, both clubs had an agreement they wouldn't ask each other to cover damage caused by away fans during Old Firm matches. And there was pretty much always damage, to seats, toilet facilities, etc.

I think the SPL is growing.  We are seeing quite a lot of players coming “down south” and doing well, certainly at Championship level.  We’ve had the likes of McGinn at Villa, Tierney at Arsenal, but now seeing Christie and Hedges too.  Plus Dykes (although an Aussie), Souttar, C.Paterson, Campbell and McKenna.  I’ve probably missed several.

They are also operating under slightly different work permit rules, i.e. they still have an exceptions panel and this is allowing them to bring in players that “we” can’t.

I watched the game. Prefer Rangers out of the 2, but they were absolutely woeful last night. I think City would have beaten them.

Celtic look like they have signed quite a few up and coming players from Japan and are hungry to get the title back off Rangers. I think Rangers losing Gerrard was a huge loss for them.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, 2015 said:

I watched the game. Prefer Rangers out of the 2, but they were absolutely woeful last night. I think City would have beaten them.

Celtic look like they have signed quite a few up and coming players from Japan and are hungry to get the title back off Rangers. I think Rangers losing Gerrard was a huge loss for them.

Although that was the first defeat under Gio Van Bronkhurst. I watch lots of SPFL games and that is the best Celtic have been and the worst Rangers have been. I predict Celtic to win the league, but it will be close 3 or 4 points.

Just about to head  to the airport to come home. To be fair that was coming. Celtic have been thrilling to watch under Ange lately and Rangers have been scraping by. The atmosphere was something special last night, for those who think the celebrations were a bit OTT, yes possibly, but it seemed like one of those results that signified a turning of the tide, but only time will tell if that's true.

Regarding the lack of away fans, yes Rangers cut our allocation 3 or 4 years ago and Celtic responded to that, and then Covid has caused extra complications . Rangers said they would give Celtic 600 or  for the first game only if Celtic would guarantee the same, which Celtic saying they couldn't if Covid restrictions were in place. I think it's a terrible shame , I used to go to the games at Ibrox as well and there was always a great atmosphere  and I feel- last night apart- that the atmosphere at Celtic Park is diminished with few or  no Rangers fans in the ground. As both sides have now sold season tickets in the areas previously reserved for away fans, it is unlikely to go back to the old days anytime soon.

I went to the Dundee derby on Tuesday night as well. Not quite the same but still a good atmosphere, but - and as someone who is always sticking up for Scottish football, I hate saying this- it did really look like two very, very poor sides.

Anyway, Sutton away for me next up :)

Robbored- feel free to comment on your lack of interest at any time, we need to know.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Just about to head  to the airport to come home. To be fair that was coming. Celtic have been thrilling to watch under Ange lately and Rangers have been scraping by. The atmosphere was something special last night, for those who think the celebrations were a bit OTT, yes possibly, but it seemed like one of those results that signified a turning of the tide, but only time will tell if that's true.

Regarding the lack of away fans, yes Rangers cut our allocation 3 or 4 years ago and Celtic responded to that, and then Covid has caused extra complications . Rangers said they would give Celtic 600 or  for the first game only if Celtic would guarantee the same, which Celtic saying they couldn't if Covid restrictions were in place. I think it's a terrible shame , I used to go to the games at Ibrox as well and there was always a great atmosphere  and I feel- last night apart- that the atmosphere at Celtic Park is diminished with few or  no Rangers fans in the ground. As both sides have now sold season tickets in the areas previously reserved for away fans, it is unlikely to go back to the old days anytime soon.

I went to the Dundee derby on Tuesday night as well. Not quite the same but still a good atmosphere, but - and as someone who is always sticking up for Scottish football, I hate saying this- it did really look like two very, very poor sides.

Robbored- feel free to comment on your lack of interest at any time, we need to know.

Thanks for sharing that - sounds a good trip. In your view, with their current squads, what is the equivalent level of Celtic/Rangers compared to English sides? 

3 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Good to have you back, Miah !

(even if you do have the trait of following the wrong teams !)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Up the Tangerine Arabs imo.

8 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Thanks for sharing that - sounds a good trip. In your view, with their current squads, what is the equivalent level of Celtic/Rangers compared to English sides? 

It's a really difficult question. I've heard all the 'wouldn't last in the Championship' comments a million times before, normally from people who haven't ever watched a game in Scotland.

The collapse of Setanta obviously caused problems in Scotland, but even after that I have seen Celtic compete-albeit ultimately unsuccessfully-  in Europe against good sides ( Man City were lucky to get away with 2 draws 5years ago for example)  Before that I have seen Celtic beat the likes of Barcelona, Juventus, Liverpool and Manchester United and many others and I don't think anyone would doubt that if Celtic or Rangers would be major European forces if they had the same financial benefits of other European teams.

However, Celtic and Rangers aside, in a nation that has a tenth of the population of England, having two behemoth clubs does have a detrimental effect on the other teams. Based on what I saw in the Dundee derby on Tuesday, I would expect Rovers to give both teams a good game and lower down the league many teams are semi pro. That doesn't mean to say the games are any less enjoyable to watch, but certainly the skill levels aren't the same.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

It's a really difficult question. I've heard all the 'wouldn't last in the Championship' comments a million times before, normally from people who haven't ever watched a game in Scotland.

The collapse of Setanta obviously caused problems in Scotland, but even after that I have seen Celtic compete-albeit ultimately unsuccessfully-  in Europe against good sides ( Man City were lucky to get away with 2 draws 5years ago for example)  Before that I have seen Celtic beat the likes of Barcelona, Juventus, Liverpool and Manchester United and many others and I don't think anyone would doubt that if Celtic or Rangers would be major European forces if they had the same financial benefits of other European teams.

However, Celtic and Rangers aside, in a nation that has a tenth of the population of England, having two behemoth clubs does have a detrimental effect on the other teams. Based on what I saw in the Dundee derby on Tuesday, I would expect Rovers to give both teams a good game and lower down the league many teams are semi pro. That doesn't mean to say the games are any less enjoyable to watch, but certainly the skill levels aren't the same.

All joking aside when you look at the level of players at the clubs outside of Celtic and Rangers that should be the case. Our sixth choice centre-half starts every week for Hearts.

On 03/02/2022 at 21:03, Super said:

Also pretty poor that away fans aren't at these games. 

Sad but I can see the reasoning behind it, until away fans behave like "Good Humans" the home clubs shouldn't have to put up with the damage & trouble caused. I used the word sad because I realise it's the minority that cause the trouble & a shame that others have to be treated the same but hey.....................................................................................that's life.

On 04/02/2022 at 20:54, bpexile said:

Sad but I can see the reasoning behind it, until away fans behave like "Good Humans" the home clubs shouldn't have to put up with the damage & trouble caused. I used the word sad because I realise it's the minority that cause the trouble & a shame that others have to be treated the same but hey.....................................................................................that's life.

The lack of away fans has nothing to do with any damage or trouble caused.  At the moment it is Covid related and previous to that  for 2 or 3 seasons had only given away around 600 away tickets, but that was based on tit for tat measures .  I must have been to around 20 Glasgow derbies and I would argue that the games are one of the safest places on earth to be! They are are so well policed , those minded to look for trouble would be wasting their time, Any trouble surrounding the game takes place well away from the stadium and is more down to local neighbourhoods,

On 03/02/2022 at 21:16, Miah Dennehy said:

People often neglect the fact that Rangers and Celtic have pretty big fan bases and if they were in the Championship would be a very attractive prospect to players.

They’d easily compete in our league system, as they’d receive the money and attract the players to do so. Both are massive clubs

22 minutes ago, Club and Country said:

You only have to look at Ramsay going to rangers and his reasoning to know that if rangers and Celtic had the money of the prem clubs they would be a completely different proposition 

Agreed but if you put Prem money into any league it would be a different proposition.

12 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

... and he doesn’t realise the SPL isn’t a thing ... it doesn’t exist except in Serbian football ... ??

Really gets on your tits when people use 'SPL' doesn't it? Hahaha.

Confession - I still habitually type 'SPL table' into google ?

• Haha 1