IGNORED

Match Report: Jekyll & Hyde City don't like crosses

Olé

Thanks for a great write up as always.  I died the death of a 1000cuts with a blunt knife listening on radio Bristol with Owers basically saying what you have said.

joe Williams has to start now, he’s either fit or he’s not.
COD another empty performance. 

Edited by DT The Optimist

1 hour ago, Olé said:

Highlighting their ridiculous inconsistency, City returned to Lancashire just a week after their slick passing and control dominated a 2-2 draw at Preston - and instead fell apart in the cold and rain at Blackpool, their early purpose surrendered to their usual inability to defend crosses, woeful from two in short succession and ultimately well beaten.

Two goals in two minutes largely against the run of play - the latest double salvo keeper O'Leary has stayed rooted to his line for - continued City's woeful record of defending this season, and in poor conditions gave the few away players who looked like they didn't fancy it a chance to surrender, an easy third after the break making the result academic.

It was not without tireless work from in form Massengo and some classy touches out of midfield from Scott, but besides Semenyo, City's forwards were anonymous and never got the ball under control while at the other end Pearson's back line was far too slow to deal with Blackpool movement especially on the break - and from crosses got destroyed.

A meltdown wasn't on the cards when inside two minutes Massengo robbed an opponent and fed Semenyo, but the striker dwelled on the ball and was robbed, Hamilton breaking down the left to square for Bowler to force a save from O'Leary. On 12 Scott recovered a 50/50 in his half and one touch off DaSilva sent Semenyo clear to force a diving save.

At the midway point of the half O'Leary had to tip over as Gabriel fired in from the right flank - and then Semenyo controlled the ball in midfield and sent O'Dowda away off the shoulder of the last man only for the winger to crumple feebly and needlessly to the floor  under the slightest pressure. It was all City by now but without finding the killer pass.  

On 33 all action Massengo again robbed an opponent and in one touch fed Weimann but the City captain gave it away cheaply to cue another rapid left wing break for Blackpool that was swept into the far post with no one on hand to finish. Massengo was still trying to effect a one man rebellion and stole into the box and was cut down but no penalty.

Then the sucker punch - new boy Klose over elaborated and then underhit a clearance and O'Dowda offered nothing as Blackpool recovered possession and took advantage of disorganisation to lift the ball to the back post where Yates headed down into space for Hamilton to turn in easily. A terrible goal to concede that summed up City's mistakes.

Within seconds it was two, DaSilva got in a tangle clearing routinely against the striker from a deep right wing cross and from the corner Madine bundled in. The most naive of 2-0 defecits after a bright start - typical of City's self destruct. O'Dowda ran inside the full back before the break and crossed onto the bar - before rightly being taken off.

Any hopes of a second half revival to warm the frozen and damp 1000+ City fans ended  rapidly as Weimann and Semenyo tried to combine and lost out to allow yet another Blackpool break that put Bowler into space down the right, the winger casually striding forward, cutting inside past Pring to make room to drill low into the bottom corner.

Some City fans would have left at this point to find a nearby drinking establishment and the usual luminous lights, wipe clean seats and day-glo shot glasses. But not me, I stay to the end just so I can freeze my nuts off to say I remembered every aspect of our fifth month without an away win. It may also be because I don't like plastic Blackpool pubs.

On 52 good work by DaSilva put Scott into space in the box off a defender but the star youngster scuffed his tame shot straight at the keeper. The game became scrappy as City clung on grimly to avoid a fourth and midway through the second period our rare break found Martin in the right channel who fed Semenyo in the box, firing side netting.

On 71 we finally worked players into the box and Pring ran inside defenders and laid it off left for Semenyo who dropped a shoulder to slip inside the edge of the box and curl just over the bar. Next Scott spun his marker in the channel and was hacked down, from the free kick Williams curling it top corner - but claimed easily by underworked Grimshaw. 

416AACDC-C92C-40FD-85F3-AC26EE259494.thumb.jpeg.820138c57681401eb3b51d605b39375d.jpeg

On 76 a short corner saw Scott lay back to Williams to fire badly low and wide - the sub then becoming embroiled in a head to head with Madine who sent him to the floor as the game boiled over. On 83 Semenyo was sent clear down the left and spreaded it easily to Williams in the box but the eager midfielder underhit his tame lob straight to the keeper.

A consolidation was inevitable and with five left a Pring run in the left channel gave City time and space to exchange with Semenyo - who again laid off for Williams whose cross into the box sailed over everyone but found DaSilva racing in beyond the last man, and squaring for substitute Wells to tap in. It was a moment of fun for the freezing away fans.

City couldn't string together their passing of a week earlier so there was little danger of a comeback as the match fizzled out with the hosts as likely to grab a fourth. Pearson has said he wants a side that grinds out results but this is anything but - besides two young midfielders today we had plenty who didn't fancy the cold and rain and surrendered.

471560F5-2AF9-40B1-96F0-B2C3674F2F58.thumb.jpeg.16e1c6886ac3430cbb1ee0ece973006c.jpeg

O'Leary 4 The blueprint is clear now he doesn't help his centre backs at crosses - never comes and concedes regularly

Kalas 6 Tireless and let down by those around him

Klose 5 Still good passing and interesting seeing him ripping into teammates after mistakes - but his clearance among them 

Pring 4 Worst game in a City shirt from one of our best players this season - poor with the ball, badly positioned without it

Scott 7 Classy touches and head up despite lack of quality in front of him

Massengo 7 Bang on form tearing around to win the ball and cue up teammates - too good for us

O'Dowda 4 Pathetic tumble given chance to run clear sums him up - and awful for first

DaSilva 6 Actually provides a great pivot for us playing Semenyo into the channel when we play out, good assist and easily one of our better players

Weimann 4 Never in the game today - don't think he ever had the ball under control

Martin 4 Ditto - awful touches on the ball and contributed absolutely nothing

Semenyo 6 Some really Prem worthy touches but on his own for most of it

Williams 6 All action and hard working - definitely dictates play when he's in midfield 

Wells 5 Nice tap in 

Looking at your photos you were sat just behind me. Wish I’dve said hello. 

We were ok for thirty minutes. Bit end to end but looking like we could get one. 

We concede after a shank and a return hump into our box our CB is out jumped by an enormous way for the second. The third half the team were asleep from OUR throw 100 yards away, a long hit ball left there player one on one with Pring who showed a left footer toward goal to roll in.

Thus I’m not sure how O’Leary, who is not above criticism, can be a four. 

Our improved play has coincided with OLeary being in goal, however is it time for Bentley to have a run, yes maybe, but I think he is error prone despite being a good shot stopper and always was even with Brentford. 

Change is inevitable after that shit show of a last 60! Defeat is a part of life if your a City fan but this was not just defeat it was defeatism and spineless throughout the team!

If Williams is deemed ready he will start and to be frank Wells must be in the running after that!

COD.  We all know he won’t improve now at this level.  Time for the P45.

We need two full backs; Can’t expect Tanner to play every game when fit.   Vyner will, like COD, never cut it at this level.  Dasilva not the same player since injury;  Pring probably not the answer.

Will King and Simpson ever play for us again?  I somehow doubt it.

Martin’s last season as a first, possibly even second, string striker.

But no money unless we sell one or more of our star trio, and that won’t help the team

I truly pity Nige as I can’t see how he can improve the squad for next season with virtually no resources.

How the ….. did SL allow it to get to this point?

• Like 1

The O’Dowda witch hunt on here is simply embarrassing (Not aimed at you Ole but fed up of reading the ‘pile on’)

The pack hunt seems to be the most popular to join in here , and some of the comments are cringeworthy.

Its clear some , nay many , see it as a popular topic to pile in on 

Fair criticism of any player always perfectly fair , but many of those who vehemently back  Pearson seem to think he’s lost his mind and football brain when picking O’Dowda

Far from being from one of our best , but f me ,   Talk about scapegoat .....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

The O’Dowda witch hunt on here is simply embarrassing (Not aimed at you Ole but fed up of reading the ‘pile on’)

The pack hunt seems to be the most popular to join in here , and some of the comments are cringeworthy.

Its clear some , nay many , see it as a popular topic to pile in on 

Fair criticism of any player always perfectly fair , but many of those who vehemently back  Pearson seem to think he’s lost his mind and football brain when picking O’Dowda

Far from being from one of our best , but f me ,   Talk about scapegoat .....

Do keep up. OLeary is the new  scapegoat!

Odowda isn’t in the same league as Vyner for scapegoaters!

Just a thought on our fear of crosses. I may be well off the mark here but I wonder if Bakers situation is affecting our defenders. Lots of talk in the media about dementia and alzhimers in ex pros and now one of our own out for season apparently with multiple concussions. Maybe a flash of doubt when the ball comes in and a less than 100% commitment and the challenge is lost.

Teams seem to target us with wide players slinging in crosses and it is our achilles heel. Sorry if this had been mentioned before.  Any thoughts?

5 hours ago, RonWalker said:

it does certainly read like your dislike of COD is more personal, certainly your comments about him come across that way.

Thanks I was writing match reports from away games when Callum O'Dowda was three.

Not sure how criticism can qualify as personal or not but quick reminder that he has played more City games than anyone else at the club or on the pitch yesterday - Kalas the next is about 25 games behind him - and yet I know absolutely no one who can tell me anything meaningful he has done in all this time representing us.

Oh, and the manager yesterday saw fit to take him off after just 45 yesterday so I guess that must be personal too.

• Like 8

33 minutes ago, Olé said:

Thanks I was writing match reports from away games when Callum O'Dowda was three.

Not sure how criticism can qualify as personal or not but quick reminder that he has played more City games than anyone else at the club or on the pitch yesterday - Kalas the next is about 25 games behind him - and yet I know absolutely no one who can tell me anything meaningful he has done in all this time representing us.

Oh, and the manager yesterday saw fit to take him off after just 45 yesterday so I guess that must be personal too.

I agree with you @Olé. I don’t read anything personal in your comments yesterday or in previous posts. 

I think we all want CoD to be great for us, but he simply doesn’t shine or deliver in our team. I sat very near him at Reading and found him to be a passionate fan, he certainly didn’t sit there emotionless. The fact he is a fan yet cannot affect most games he plays in for is baffling/frustrating, maybe as much for him as for us?

I have also commented on this forum a few weeks ago that he is one of our most senior pros, perhaps our longest serving player or close, and several inexperienced youngsters are coming in and outperforming him. That can’t be right.

It will be interesting to see how Pearson reacts after hauling him off. (Note Weimann was removed too which is almost unheard of). CoD is likely to be taken out of the limelight for a few matches as others have been. Depends on what other options we have I guess.

51 minutes ago, Olé said:

You aren’t personal about him at all. In fact I think you, myself and others on here have commented on what a thoroughly nice chap he is. 

He’s just not a very good footballer who has achieved absolutely nothing throughout his time here; he needs to move on. 

On 06/02/2022 at 16:04, Olé said:

Not sure how criticism can qualify as personal or not

I don't believe you don't know the difference, whether it applies in this case or not. But there feels like an added undercurrent of spite towards COD which other players don't get, and the same at Luton.

Edited by RonWalker
  • Like 1

On 05/02/2022 at 22:07, JonDolman said:

O'Dowda was running at full speed and pushed in the back. How is he supposed to stay on his feet there. Clear foul.

And how does O'Dowda getting lucky before the first goal make him at all responsible for Klose making a mistake? Klose had time to even have a touch.

O'Dowda was below par. I'd give him a 5.

Agree on Weimann and Martin though. I wanted both to be subbed. Thought we moved the ball better after Weimann did come off.

Come on now, please lets have some honesty and proper analysis..............O'Dowda's reaction to being confronted by an attacker for the first goal was weak, indecisive and lame?   Instead of doing something positive, ie, Tackling, Challenging or Physically blocking his opponent, he decided to not bother to do anything?  He is a weak link who cannot defend, he shows no commitment or bravery?  He is a wet   fish, who at the age of 26 is a liability and an embarrassment....He gets a generous 2 from me........get rid.

Edited by maxjak
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

The goal was pretty irrelevant to what happened with O'Dowda and Bowler. The ball ended up at Klose's feet better positioned to clear the danger.

O'Dowda headed the ball to the side to then volley clear with his left. But he then stopped himself from attempting to kick the ball as Bowler was closer than he realised. A miss judgement for sure.

He then pushes over Bowler on to his back who manages to get a foot to the ball that sends the ball straight to Klose.

I can't see what part of that is lame or weak. He made up for it by pushing Bowler who couldn't then find a teammate, instead finding Klose who had enough time and space to comfortably clear that he failed to do.

Had O'Dowda swung his left foot at it then it most probably would have been a penalty.

I normally respect your opinion............but having viewed the incident numerous times..........i think we must have watched different games?  O'Dowda is a waste of a shirt IMHO.   

On 06/02/2022 at 23:04, Olé said:

Your criticism comes across as personal because of the manner in which it is addressed. You appear to be merging into Headhunter.  That is not a good thing (IMHO).

Personally, I thought it was blatantly obvious that the substitution was more about getting Williams on the pitch than getting COD off. There were plenty of others that were underperforming.

COD is not a brilliant player. We might be able to get better for less money. He is certainly not above criticism, but he plays a role. The vitriol you bring to that criticism is what makes it appear personal.

33 minutes ago, maxjak said:

I normally respect your opinion............but having viewed the incident numerous times..........i think we must have watched different games?  O'Dowda is a waste of a shirt IMHO.   

First of all I think Jon was talking about the challenge from Gabriel when Weimann put him in re the push. It wasn’t a push. There was a shirt grab by the looks of it.

Ive finally succumbed to watching Quest. He allows Bowler to get between him and the ball. That is the error.

The goal was a whole host of errors, this was part of it. It matters not what Klose etc did after. He made a mistake. So did others. It’s not a blame game at all it’s just pure recognition of mistakes made.

The sequence of mistakes cost us the first goal in what was a pretty even, quite dull game at that point.

If it was me I’d be accepting my part responsibility in that goal, not trying to defend it by what happened after. Responsibility / accountability goes some way to understanding the error and not letting it happen again.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I don't know what part of it was 'weak'.

The bit where he headed it too close to where Bowler was?

The bit where he stopped himself from trying to kick the ball with his left foot? Do you want him to swing his left foot there when he might kick Bowler in the box?

Surely can't be the bit where he pushes Bowler over on to his back?

I've watched the game back and actually I think O'Dowda was one of our better players in that first half.

The “weak” bit of it, and maybe “weak” is the wrong word is that he doesn’t get his body close enough to Bowler both initially, and when he let’s Bowler get the ball back into play.  There’s nothing in his movements that shows any physicality or imposing himself on the player.  No need to shove anyone, just ease him away from the ball.

Its what Magnússon did a couple of time in 17/18 and got castigated for it.

I do agree he was right not to swing his leg at it, but he did nothing to stop Bowler from that point onwards.  I’ve just watched it about 30 times.  I still can’t get my head around how Bowler gets an opportunity to hook it back into play.  Bowlers little flick out with his left foot initially should be the last point he has of being within stretching distance of hooking it back.

It sounds critical, but it was an error…part of a sequence of errors that led to conceding a goal.  It’s not a “one person blame” agenda. It’s just commentary on the event itself.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

I don't know what part of it was 'weak'.

The bit where he headed it too close to where Bowler was?

The bit where he stopped himself from trying to kick the ball with his left foot? Do you want him to swing his left foot there when he might kick Bowler in the box?

Surely can't be the bit where he pushes Bowler over on to his back?

I've watched the game back and actually I think O'Dowda was one of our better players in that first half.

I just WANT him to do something.........instead of being such an ineffective jellyfish.  He is the sort of player, that when i played, obviously not at the same level, but the observation holds true, is known as   a    Walk Over.  He hides, and is not a team player.   I am truly astounded that he still makes a living as a Championship footballer..............based on 1 goal at Norwich...Ha!