IGNORED

Final Position

MattWSM

4 hours ago, MJP3 said:

Sorry Matt, I don't understand.
Don't you know where you are? You must be anti something.
We need to know.
How do you feel about Cats? Do you hate Cats?

No problem

Yes I know where I am.

I have no issue with Cats, feline or the city away travel services

On 06/02/2022 at 07:28, 054123 said:

I would have changed Johnson at the end of 18/19. To my mind that is the mistake. We waited too long.

We had just finished 8th after finishing 11th the previous season.........it would have appeared a very strange and unpopular dismissal?  I wonder if on the 31/05/19   .....    you would have been of the same opinion as your post on 06/02/22?   I some how doubt it?

17 hours ago, Davefevs said:

As it would stand (upside down):

24 Barnsley 14

23 Peterborough 20

22 Reading 28 (+6)

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

21 Cardiff 29

20 Hull 32

19 Birmingham 33

18 City 34

17 Swansea 35

16 Derby 36 (+21)

I guess that makes Wednesday a 6-pointer.

For me the answer is two-fold:

1. patience
  2. realistic expectations

Nige hasn’t really got enough options to shuffle the pack.  I do thing this summer we will see a slightly different emphasis in recruitment and it will be young, but robust, albeit with an understanding of the demands of a season of championship football.  I think he knows that already in terms of his expectations of Atkinson we’re not as high as the fans.  I guess he hoped to have Baker and Kalas available to bed Atkinson in.

I think the intentions with the likes of King, Simpson were well intended, but 6 months in we can see they haven’t worked out.  I’m sure he will reflect on that.  Availability has been better than last season, that’s good, but it’s also with a smaller squad, so exposed at times.

I do think it (recruitment) needs to be better.

I’m right behind Nige, but that doesn’t mean he’s not made mistakes either.  But boy, do some jump on them very quickly.  He’s done good things too.

Good analysis..........as always.  I am certain we will retain our    Championship status.   Then  we have to give NP the opportunity to conduct his transfer business in the summer, i am concerned about the number of contracts coming to an end in Summer 2023, so some very big decisions will need to be taken?   Unfortunately i think HNM will be sold, but   his departure will give us some funds to buy some young quality, hopefully?  The coming close season will be a vital time to create the side that NP wants, I just hope we can hold onto Semenyo, and that NP buys wisely and shrewdly, and finally proves he is up to the job?

Then season 2022-23 will be the season to truly judge him, as there will no longer be any excuses, as it will be his team?   PS.  i really hope HNM stays, but IMHO it appears unlikely?

Edited by maxjak

49 minutes ago, maxjak said:

We had just finished 8th after finishing 11th the previous season.........it would have appeared a very strange and unpopular dismissal?  I wonder if on the 31/05/19   .....    you would have been of the same opinion as your post on 06/02/22?   I some how doubt it?

Probably ?

I never fell for the whole 11th to 8th was progress bit.

Both seasons we completely fell away.

In context we failed.

History now though.

Edited by 054123

On 05/02/2022 at 21:34, MattWSM said:

Since back in Championship.

Position/Points/Manager (end of season)

By position:
1. 2018-19 --- 08th, 70, LJ
2. 2017-18 --- 11th, 67, LJ
3. 2019-20 --- 12th, 63, LJ
4. 2016-17 --- 17th, 54, LJ
5. 2021-22 --- 17th, 53,《 Avg, NP
6. 2015-16 --- 18th, 52, LJ
7. 2020-21 --- 19th, 51, NP

We're only as good as our last season, IMO, and I thought back in August 2021 that 18th or above would be season of progress, considering last summer's clearout, the lack of funds, and being braced for a £30m+ annual loss to put it all into context. 

Nige is actually surpassing my expectations as it's great to see the progress made by the likes of Pring, Massengo, Scott and, more recently Semenyo. They are major plus points from this season and it's good for a change to watch a rebuild take place while we're mid-table in the Championship, compared to floundering in L1. 

I suspect we'll be in a much better position to progress again next season, too. He's having a good look at the likes of Max, for example, and seeing if he's up to it at this level. As a result, I wouldn't be surprised to see us in the market for an upgrade on Max in the summer and Bentley sold to strengthen in other areas, such as RB. 

Edited by tin
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, CHIPLEY RED said:

I think we will drop a couple more places and were it not for points deductions we would be staring a relegation battle in the face. Yesterday was awful so I'm not sure where the improvement is. Yes we can pull the odd good result out the bag but cannot put 2 good games together and most often can't put a good 90mins together.

I don't know what the answer is and I'm not calling for Pearson to go but he does need to be accountable for the performances on the pitch. I'm fed up with constantly blaming previous managers and Mark Ashton. We will stay up this year but I worry for next season. NP just hasn't had the impact I expected. 

The crowd started to turn yesterday, Boos at half time, I want my money back, We're f_____g s___t, cheering a shot on target. Not good times at. BS3

FWIW There IS improvement. The injury situation is a lot better albeit working with a smaller squad. There is much more purpose and cohesiveness which has much to do with NP's attitude and clarity. He is working with second tier players and maybe one or two are just not quite hitting their mark which was what he was referring to post Blackpool. There is also the stark reality that we don't have the money available to just go out and buy what we want. This is why I still refer to the previous regime because this is having an effect on us moving forward and will continue to do so over the next year or two.

We are seeing some really exciting young talent emerging and we are very lucky to have an experienced manager in place to help nurture this talent through.

Its refreshing to read the positive comments from the likes of Semenyo and more importantly players like Wells who is down the pecking order about playing under Pearson.  

I am not surprised whatsoever by the inconsistent performances week in week out but I can start to see the green shoots of improvement.

A big set back for Pearson's vision has to be the injuries to Baker and Williams. 

It is small steps though and will continue to be until Pearson can reshape the squad still further. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, 054123 said:

Probably ?

I never fell for the whole 11th to 8th was progress bit.

Both seasons we completely fell away.

In context we failed.

History now though.

With the greatest respect .............how can 11th to 8th not be progressive, it defies mathematical logic?  I can only presume that U mean that under LJ,  despite finishing higher in the table,   in your opinion we were playing inferior football,  compared to the previous season?  Poor old LJ, he cannot win over certain fans, despite giving us our highest position in  10 years ?              

2 hours ago, maxjak said:

With the greatest respect .............how can 11th to 8th not be progressive, it defies mathematical logic?  I can only presume that U mean that under LJ,  despite finishing higher in the table,   in your opinion we were playing inferior football,  compared to the previous season?  Poor old LJ, he cannot win over certain fans, despite giving us our highest position in  10 years ?              

No, I mean everything needs context.

Im amazed that being top on Boxing Day but then shitting out and finishing 11th is deemed as successful? I’d question the leadership skills of anyone who took solice in that. That is not a winners attitude.

We then shit out again the next year and threw away our playoff chances.

I’m probably wrong, but I’m sure we were just 3 points off of third in the February of 2020!!!

This has been done to death, but for me capitulating as we did, season after season, is repeated failure. In my opinion it is a defeatist attitude that would claim otherwise.

2 hours ago, maxjak said:

Poor old LJ, he cannot win over certain fans, despite giving us our highest position in  10 years ?              

? We we’re leading Wolves on Boxing Day, having been to the league cup semi final and beating 4 premiership teams along the way.

We finished 11th? 

What am I missing?