IGNORED

Cooper and Forest

Waconda

Just now, VT05763 said:

With effectively the same bunch of players, Cooper managed to coax more out of the group and a superb run of form followed.

How 'magician' Steve Cooper transformed struggling Nottingham Forest to FA Cup heroes (msn.com)

I'm guessing that you think Pearson should be doing the same?

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

5 minutes ago, VT05763 said:

With effectively the same bunch of players, Cooper managed to coax more out of the group and a superb run of form followed.

How 'magician' Steve Cooper transformed struggling Nottingham Forest to FA Cup heroes (msn.com)

I’m quite enjoying this now.

The two situations are different, but your general points are understandable.

The truth is nothing is going to change this season. If by October this year the points return and inconsistencies are the same, so imagine Pearson will be gone.

Then somebody new can be appointed that people can argue over ?

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

He’s done really well.

Maybe he inherited a better squad? Maybe their owner (a very dubious individual) has been far more creative re FFP?

I don’t recall too many saying we should go for this bloke at any time prior to this though, so a hell of a lot of hindsight going on. Ian Gay has jumped on this bandwagon recently, apparently.

Interesting as well that many of us (me included) wanted Hughton in BS3 & Cooper’s transformation of them does highlight what a poor job he did there..

• Like 5

Forest had a good  squad strength already:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/nottingham-forest/kader/verein/703

Forest have good resources available in the window(s):

image.thumb.png.aae32909fb3419710285c964269d8a16.png

A nice cushy relationship with Olympiacos to sell a “flop” like Carvalho (good player but not worked out).  I wonder what fee they got?  You can bet they didn’t lose a penny!

I do think Steve Cooper doing a good job, and that Hughton underperformed.

I would’ve liked to see Cooper still at Swansea and how he’d do without being heavily backed.

He’s got a plum job.  Forest should be top half team, they’re 8th, so good on him.

Looking forward to their accounts though.

If this is however “isn’t Cooper doing well, Nige should be doing better”, then I don’t think you are comparing apples with apples.

• Like 17

1 minute ago, IAmNick said:

Given that all club's situations are obviously completely identical, I'm confused why new managers even bother buying players at all. They should all just be able to massively turn things around with the existing lot they're handed in all cases, or just get fired really.

Cooper doing very well isn't he.

Just now, VT05763 said:

Its an interesting article and does much to rebuff the mindset that it is not possible for new managers to get more out of a failing group of players.

I thought it was crap, it basically just states the facts with zero narrative or analysis beyond a formation change.

I don't think anyone has EVER said it's not possible for a new manager to get more out of a failing group of players have they? That'd be totally mad.

• Like 3

Just now, IAmNick said:

I thought it was crap, it basically just states the facts with zero narrative or analysis beyond a formation change.

I don't think anyone has EVER said it's not possible for a new manager to get more out of a failing group of players have they? That'd be totally mad.

Have you read this forum ?

Just now, IAmNick said:

I think you told me a few months ago our squad should be around 7th - 9th. Do you still agree with that?

Yes, we have a top 10 squad for sure, injuries have been too regular (once again) and allowances have to be made for that.

Not been a disaster but we should be doing better with the resources available. Just my opinion.

8 minutes ago, VT05763 said:

Yes my apologies I should have put a "sycophant trigger" warning in the title.

Would have saved you the upset.

Bizarre, I just posted what I seem to see on a regular basis from yourself, sad, sly digs, without having the balls to actually say what you actually think (unless I have missed those posts).

This thread has absolutely nothing to do with what a decent job Cooper is doing, and having an actual discussion about how and why (change of formation, players etc). The thread has been started just to have an underhand dig at Pearson and the club you apparently support. It is a very strange way (and a bit sad imo) to live your life, just looking at any old opportunity to have a dig - no matter how ridiculous the reason is.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, VT05763 said:

Yes, we have a top 10 squad for sure, injuries have been too regular (once again) and allowances have to be made for that.

Not been a disaster but we should be doing better with the resources available. Just my opinion.

I find that quite surprising.

We've only finished in the top 10 once since being back in the division. Do you think our squad is the strongest it's been since we arrived then, or has everyone been pretty much failing so far?

Edited by IAmNick
  • Like 4
  • Flames 1

Just now, IAmNick said:

I find that quite surprising.

We've only finished in the top 10 once since being back in the division. Do you think our squad is about the strongest it's been since we arrived then, or has everyone been pretty much failing so far?

We have had a squad to finish in the top 10 for the last 4 seasons. The reason we haven't isn't down to the individual abilities of the players we have/had.

Injuries suffered have been horrendous and much of the coaching not good enough.

Combination of things.

I was listening to the NTT20 pod yesterday and they spoke very positively about Forest. They mentioned that it goes beyond Cooper though - the club is going in right direction and being directed well from the top by good "footballing people". 

Last summer Forest appointed George Syrianos as Head of Recruitment. He was very highly rated for his analytics work at Stuttgart.

They also brought in Dane Murphy as CEO - the guy that did well at Barnsley (and had a background as a head scout and technical director)

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Supersonic Robin said:

I was listening to the NTT20 pod yesterday and they spoke very positively about Forest. They mentioned that it goes beyond Cooper though - the club is going in right direction and being directed well from the top by good "footballing people". 

Last summer Forest appointed George Syrianos as Head of Recruitment. He was very highly rated for his analytics work at Stuttgart.

They also brought in Dane Murphy as CEO - the guy that did well at Barnsley (and had a background as a head scout and technical director)

Exactly right. And, as most people know, our owner isn't a football person and seemingly won't employ a head of recruitment, sporting director, director of football or any other senior executive. It all currently falls on Pearson's shoulders. 

While they're streets ahead of us off the pitch, I'd imagine it's shit or bust for them this year financially. If they fail to go up this year, I'd expect their finances to be in a worst position than ours. 

Don't let those facts get in the way of the OP's anti-NP agenda, though. 

Edited by tin
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, VT05763 said:

Its an interesting article and does much to rebuff the mindset that it is not possible for new managers to get more out of a failing group of players.

You miss the point, forest had ex prem and a good squad already in place, city have none of this and are reading on home grown talent due to financial mis management of previous managers and ceo,

Still another day another dig a Pearson

You are tiresome and boing with your relentles attact

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, VT05763 said:

We have had a squad to finish in the top 10 for the last 4 seasons. The reason we haven't isn't down to the individual abilities of the players we have/had.

Injuries suffered have been horrendous and much of the coaching not good enough.

Combination of things.

No we don't, the fact we haven't is proof of that,

Who out of our squad would walk into a top 10 squad in this league,

Scott, kalas wienman and hnm that's it

• Like 2

• Admin
1 minute ago, Monkeh said:

No we don't, the fact we haven't is proof of that,

Who out of our squad would walk into a top 10 squad in this league,

Scott, kalas wienman and hnm that's it

Stop using facts to prove points, it is clear the problem is the man on the touchline according to some

35 minutes ago, VT05763 said:

You genuinely think we have a top 10 Squad?

If you said our best(ish) eleven on its day is capable of producing top 10 performances, I’d agree.  But if you then applied every other team’s best eleven, does that still hold?

But those two statements are vastly different.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

You genuinely think we have a top 10 Squad?

If you said our best(ish) eleven on its day is capable of producing top 10 performances, I’d agree.  But if you then applied every other team’s best eleven, does that still hold?

But those two statements are vastly different.

Luton, Preston, Coventry and Blackpool shouldn't be above us on squad strength.

We have a top 10 squad in my opinion, yours differs.

20 minutes ago, phantom said:

Stop using facts to prove points, it is clear the problem is the man on the touchline according to some

Who in Lutons squad would walk into a top 10 team ?