IGNORED

The phantom promotion

Steve Watts

32 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

Only at City could we get facts about our own club wrong.... And on a mural reminding everyone that we shouldn't forget that period of our history. 

obviously I should pay more attention as I forgot our promotion season of 1985...!?‍♂️

20220209_183315.jpg

Oh dear. Out with the white emulsion and pen in the correct year: 1990.

The whole mural is 'woke' rewriting of history so matters not what's factually correct.

If at Bristol Uni one may identify as a cat I suppose it's ok for the club to identify with whatever division in whatever period it so wishes. Demonstrates our lack of ambition they failed to highlight that time we won the European Cup, for the 5th year in a row......

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Hmmm 1

1 minute ago, BTRFTG said:

The whole mural is 'woke' rewriting of history so matters not what's factually correct.

If at Bristol Uni one may identify as a cat I suppose it's ok for the club to identify with whatever division in whatever period it so wishes. Demonstrates our lack of ambition they failed to highlight that time we won the European Cup, for the 5th year in a row......

I read that.

I mean, Really, what is the world coming to?

12 minutes ago, redapple said:

I think the real people of Bristol need to start demonstrating to the world that we aren’t all Woke, Week and Pathetic. 
I drank Thatchers as my protest last night ! But I’m sure I and we can do better. We’re becoming a national joke .

For Christ sake don't switch to any alcohol refined from sugar cane, you'll have to throw yourself into the docks as an act of contrition.....

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

Wait, how is that mural in any way "woke"?

That word has totally lost all meaning.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

Wait, how is that mural in any way "woke"?

That word has totally lost all meaning.

It's an alert to a supposed and misconceived 'injustice' (sic). An 'injustice' (sic) that never was. Much as all the other virtue-signalling demonstrations have everything to do with those demonstrating about little about that for which they are demonstrating.

The word has lost none of its meaning as it's never implied merit (or otherwise) as to the validity of any 'injustice' being highlighted.

• Confused 1

41 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

season 13 GIF

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

It's an alert to a supposed and misconceived 'injustice' (sic). An 'injustice' (sic) that never was. Much as all the other virtue-signalling demonstrations have everything to do with those demonstrating about little about that for which they are demonstrating.

The word has lost none of its meaning as it's never implied merit (or otherwise) as to the validity of any 'injustice' being highlighted.

Huh?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

Virtue signaling too, phwoar! You're doing well here. Could we get a "cancel culture" for a full house maybe?

I think YOU'RE being woke, as you're alert to the injustice that the mural might be woke. That's virtue signaling of you as well. See how ridiculous it is?

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Well if we're making things up can I put in for two European Cup victories in the early 90s?

Btw the Bristol Uni "identify as a cat" is misleading. They gave some not particularly strong advice on "pronouns" and included a link to a page for further information about the subject if people wanted to read more. On that linked page it mentioned that a vanishingly small number of people in Japan use "Meow" pronouns to indicate that they think they have feline qualities. Bristol Uni didn't actually advocate that people should be allowed to identify as cats!

Though I appreciate that, tenuous as it was, this was too good a story for the papers to ignore.

• Like 2

So in summary, this is yet another example of extremely slapdash work by those who should either know (or research) this type of thing much better & in truth reveal they know the square root of bugger all about our club’s recent history.

As a separate development this thread is then totally hijacked for a random conversation about “woke” “identifying as cats” and various other things that life is far too short to care about, whilst far more important issues in the world are ignored.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BTRFTG said:

I agree with you that the story has been romanticised but that’s not the same as being woke.

Obviously the romantic notion of players ripping up their contracts to save the club is an easier sale than underperforming overpaid (fault of the board not the players) players took a relative pittance rather than being left with nothing 

The romanticised narrative isn’t a recent addition it’s just been multiplied this year due to a significant anniversary 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Bristol Uni didn't actually advocate that people should be allowed to identify as cats!

You could bet your life on it that they would happily allow it though, I mean who is going to stop them, the University certainly wouldn't for fear of some Twitter mob.  

We are now at a point where ITV will not even name a "man of the match" solely because it has the name "man".

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IAmNick said:

Virtue signaling too, phwoar! You're doing well here. Could we get a "cancel culture" for a full house maybe?

I think YOU'RE being woke, as you're alert to the injustice that the mural might be woke. That's virtue signaling of you as well. See how ridiculous it is?

Just remember "woke" means anything that isn't liked by a middle-aged man. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Hmmm 1
  • Flames 1

13 minutes ago, TheReds said:

You could bet your life on it that they would happily allow it though, I mean who is going to stop them, the University certainly wouldn't for fear of some Twitter mob.  

We are now at a point where ITV will not even name a "man of the match" solely because it has the name "man".

They're a university... why would they not allow it? Why should they even care?

In fact why does any of this matter in the slightest?

30 minutes ago, TheReds said:

The same as the word racist has lost all of its meaning too, like most of the "ists" and "isms" now used to label people to try and shut them down, all thrown around like confetti.

Some years ago, I was at a function talking to Dawn French, and just happened to mention that I didn’t really find her that funny, nor James Corden.

She said ‘You’re Fattist’, and I replied ‘No, you’re fattest’.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, TheReds said:

What about cat of the match?

• Like 1