IGNORED

Martinelli’s red card

Fordy62

10 hours ago, GrahamC said:

The chances of that happening to a Man U, Liverpool, Chelsea player? Zero.

To me as the ref allowed play to carry on, unless the second challenge was a red in its own right (it wasn’t) then it should be a yellow.

People would have said that about Arsenal not so long ago. I think it's nonsense.

He was playing for the "bigger" club in the fixture, but equally, it has nothing to do with that.

He got sent off because he committed two bookable offences.

11 hours ago, WWred said:

Do you carry out the second offense if you're already booked or know you're about to be booked though?

To much is happening retrospectively these days, it's the same principle as VAR. How long until somebody gets seriously injured despite there being a clear offside in the build up?

When a player from a top club suffers a leg breaker after being flagged 10 seconds after he was 5 yards offside then the laws will change again. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

Definitely both worthy of a yellow card no doubt about that but the second should never have occurred.

The play should have been halted when the throw in was impeded and Martinelli booked (or sent off?) and a free kick taken from there.

FA:

'An opponent who unfairly distracts or impedes the thrower (including moving closer than 2 m (2 yds) to the place where the throw-in is to be taken) is cautioned for unsporting behaviour, and if the throw-in has been taken, an indirect free kick is awarded'

Also if play had stopped and he'd been booked, I think he would have been more cautious  for the rest of the game

• Like 1

Sorry, but if Oliver does not stop play when the first offence was committed, I cannot see how he can book Martinelli   again ?   A yellow card is a caution and a warning to the player to not offend again, because if he does he will be quite possibly be given   a red ?  As Martinelli is unaware that he has had a warning, and therefore has not had an opportunity restrain himself accordingly,  how can he then get a second yellow?  Michael Oliver could not wait to flourish a red card and prove how wonderfully and efficiently officious he is.  In my opinion it is unfair on the player and unnecessarily pedantic.

Edited by maxjak
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, hinsleburg said:

I'm not sure what the rules are, but for me it's one of the best bits of refereeing for a long time.

Ultimately, both were yellow card offences, and I would say they wouldn't have been 'harsh' cautions either. 

One thing that happens regularly and annoys me is when a player who has been booked makes a foul, the referee's seem to always either give the free kick and second yellow but allow no advantage, or allow advantage but then not send the player off when they would book them in any other circumstance.  (Would love to see the reaction however if a player scored and then got a second yellow for a foul that happened 30-60 seconds earlier)

Seems like a gutsy bit of refereeing to me and I liked it.

Ha!  Gutsy?.......more like showing off, and being overly officious IMO.

14 hours ago, GrahamC said:

The chances of that happening to a Man U, Liverpool, Chelsea player? Zero.

What makes you say that? Got evidence to support that claim?

You continually wang on about the gas being favoured by refs for the pens they are awarded, whilst conveniently ignoring the larger number of pens awarded against them, so now you turn your attention to the ‘Big 3’ (ignoring Man City along the way!) and maintain they are favoured by our refs ... relax chief - there’s plenty of conspiracy theories outside of football that seem more credible than the football ones you are trying to push ...

Edited by BS4 on Tour...

2 hours ago, maxjak said:

Sorry, but if Oliver does not stop play when the first offence was committed, I cannot see how he can book Martinelli again ?  ..... In my opinion it is unfair on the player and unnecessarily pedantic.

Why would anyone ever defend the player who fouls and kills the game? Ever? I go to football to see attacking play, flair and entertainment.

If I want to see repeat physical assault, I will buy tickets for jelly wrestling.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Engvall’s Splinter said:

So the second incident (“malicious elbow”) would be a straight red? So surely that would mean both incidents yesterday were yellows equalling a red. 

Ref got it spot on. 

Not sure what point you’re making, I’ve already said I think it was right to be two yellows. You asked about an imaginary circumstance which is irrelevant because if the first instance had been an elbow play would have stopped and the red shown.

4 hours ago, MarcusX said:

Not sure what point you’re making, I’ve already said I think it was right to be two yellows. You asked about an imaginary circumstance which is irrelevant because if the first instance had been an elbow play would have stopped and the red shown.

I think we both agree you are missing my point. 

8 hours ago, Mad Cyril said:

Why would anyone ever defend the player who fouls and kills the game? Ever? I go to football to see attacking play, flair and entertainment.

If I want to see repeat physical assault, I will buy tickets for jelly wrestling.

And where do we get tickets for that? Just asking for a friend

7 hours ago, MarcusX said:

It’s happened, Van Dijk against Everton?

Was that incident so obvious? Can’t remember tbh. Some of these offsides are literally given 5-10 seconds later. Guaranteed a really bad injury will happen, there will be uproar and the law will be changed back. I understand borderline decisions and let VAR decide but when it’s 2 yards offside just stick the flag up.

11 hours ago, Mad Cyril said:

Appropriate Member Name............I can give you a number for jelly wrestling tickets when you want some...because quite obviously you know nothing about football?

6 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

Was that incident so obvious? Can’t remember tbh. Some of these offsides are literally given 5-10 seconds later. Guaranteed a really bad injury will happen, there will be uproar and the law will be changed back. I understand borderline decisions and let VAR decide but when it’s 2 yards offside just stick the flag up.

In fairness no I don’t think it was

I think there’s 2 issues to the offside - if it’s that the linesman does think they’re offside but waits for them tk play the ball before giving it then I agree that bit is silly. As soon as it’s obvious the player is going to the ball then it should be offside, like it used to be.

If it’s about leaving the flag down and letting VAR decide then that’s different. It’s more likely that goals will be ruled out by an incorrect decision than someone getting seriously injured from a late call.

• Like 1