IGNORED

Let’s list some positives from the season so far

Beezey

Just spent a few minutes I’ll never get back over on the Facebook city group and just thought maybe it might be a change of pace to list some of the positive aspects of the season so far. 
I know we can’t defend and that’s been our undoing all season but I’m sure most will agree that there has been some real improvements along the way. 

The obvious positive would be Semenyo’s form. He really looks like he’s going to kick on. 

So come on then people, let’s all act like we’ve been day drinking and list our positive thoughts on the season so far !

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Beezey said:

Just spent a few minutes I’ll never get back over on the Facebook city group and just thought maybe it might be a change of pace to list some of the positive aspects of the season so far. 
I know we can’t defend and that’s been our undoing all season but I’m sure most will agree that there has been some real improvements along the way. 

The obvious positive would be Semenyo’s form. He really looks like he’s going to kick on. 

So come on then people, let’s all act like we’ve been day drinking and list our positive thoughts on the season so far !

I’m pretty positive on the whole to be honest. Scott, HNM and Semenyo are the obvious ones - somehow, we’ve generated about £50m of assets from nothing (or not much), and huge credit has to go to the management there. I also think we’ve been pretty smart in the transfer market - Tanner and Atkinson have upside, Klose looks good and the only real bomb has been King (I class Simpson as last year), and that’s not been at huge cost to us I’d imagine - will also likely transition to coaching.

Joe Williams getting back to fitness will be huge for us longer term as well, and he’s being managed carefully and well from what I see.

Its also obvious to state that our big earners contracts now have one year less on them. It’s a small but important step to financial stability.

Being back in the ground has to be on the list also.

I think the bottom line for me is this. I take where we are now and compare it to where we were a year ago, pretty much one year since NP was appointed, I see more of a plan, a younger, more exciting squad, and I think he knows the areas for improvement to kick it on.

I genuinely don’t think we’re miles off tbh.

• Like 16
  • Flames 2

More shots at goal per game than for several seasons.

Good passing movements.

More distinct playing style.

Players giving 100 per cent.

Winning 50/50 tackles.

Movement off the ball giving the player in possession options.

A manager that isn't afraid to manage 'up'

• Like 12

5 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I’m pretty positive on the whole to be honest. Scott, HNM and Semenyo are the obvious ones - somehow, we’ve generated about £50m of assets from nothing (or not much), and huge credit has to go to the management there. I also think we’ve been pretty smart in the transfer market - Tanner and Atkinson have upside, Klose looks good and the only real bomb has been King (I class Simpson as last year), and that’s not been at huge cost to us I’d imagine - will also likely transition to coaching.

Joe Williams getting back to fitness will be huge for us longer term as well, and he’s being managed carefully and well from what I see.

Its also obvious to state that our big earners contracts now have one year less on them. It’s a small but important step to financial stability.

Being back in the ground has to be on the list also.

I think the bottom line for me is this. I take where we are now and compare it to where we were a year ago, pretty much one year since NP was appointed, I see more of a plan, a younger, more exciting squad, and I think he knows the areas for improvement to kick it on.

I genuinely don’t think we’re miles off tbh.

Killjoy….I’ve nothing to add.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think it’s hard not to see the massively upward trajectory from last season. If we can keep that gradient on the same lines next year, we’ll be knocking on the door of the playoffs - if perhaps not reaching them. 

The most positive thing tho from a personal perspective is that I’ve lost my ambivalence that I had towards our results and the enjoyment of watching Is definitely back. 

Edited by Fordy62
  • Like 2

A big positive I take from this year (and last, maybe more-so), is that while we've been playing the worst football I can remember and breaking stupid records of winless runs and late goals let in, we've never really been all that close to going down. We always seem to get a result when we need it. We've remained a Championship club through a really tricky period, and considering we did that while we were struggling, what can we achieve when it all clicks? Maybe a few exciting seasons ahead.

Also have to echo the other posters, in that where on Earth have Massengo, Semenyo, Pring and Scott come from. Amazing young talent. 

• Like 2

I think our attendances (of course not necessarily bums on seats of course) have held up quite well in comparison to some of the other clubs in the division. The Northern clubs in particular seem to be struggling on that front.

The atmosphere in the ground is generally positive. I think people understand we're not a great team; but at least in general players seem to be putting the effort in, and care about the result; particularly in the last few months.

Hopefully with a few good decisions made in the summer over player's that are coming into the last year of their contracts; and others we want to keep the positivity will continue to the extent that we have a squad for 22-23 that are all pulling in the same direction.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

A big positive I take from this year (and last, maybe more-so), is that while we've been playing the worst football I can remember and breaking stupid records of winless runs and late goals let in, we've never really been all that close to going down. We always seem to get a result when we need it. We've remained a Championship club through a really tricky period, and considering we did that while we were struggling, what can we achieve when it all clicks? Maybe a few exciting seasons ahead.

Also have to echo the other posters, in that where on Earth have Massengo, Semenyo, Pring and Scott come from. Amazing young talent. 

Yep, key to avoiding a scrap is being able to dig out 3 points here and there.

image.thumb.png.d57088739767abb8c6d13e5d74cca7b4.png

the above pic shows that in the last 15 games, the most winless games is 3….and that’s our joint worst all season.  Although we haven’t won back to back to make a real impact on our league position, we did go 5 unbeaten earlier this season.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

After the disastrous end to last season, the huge churn of players going out the door and the fortuitous change of CEO, this season was always going to be about consolidation.  I was worried we would at same stage drop into the relegation zone, which we’ve avoided.

The emergence of the young players is the obvious big plus, including Cam Pring, who I think long term is captain material.

Also the form and goals of Andi Weimann, particularly after coming back from such a serious injury.

I think the next transfer window is particularly important.  I’m hoping COD and Chris Martin will be let go and we can somehow get Palmer and Wells off the payroll giving us scope to get some new blood through the door.  Then of course there’s the retention of The two ASs and HNM which is something which will run and run throughout the summer.

The big plus for me is that we’re in a far better position as club than we were this time last year.

• Like 3

We have shaved a third off of our ridiculous wage bill.

We have nurtured 3 young players who will either go all the way to the top with us or significantly improve our FFP position.

Although apparently all our signings last summer bar Weimann were “poor” (according to you know who) I think Tanner & Atkinson are exactly the sort of signings we should have been making previously.

For a side that gave away its top scorer (& 2nd highest ever signing) we haven’t struggled to score goals.

Andi Weimann is in the goal scoring form of his career (I often read on here that we never have the best years of players, which is actually bollocks, but there you go) well we are definitely getting his.

I like Curtis Fleming, he’s funny, honest & an excellent assistant.

There appears no slow down in the production line from the Academy.

Chris Martin has done an excellent job leading the line, for a 33 year old who missed half of last season.

Where we have brought in players that haven’t worked (arguably Simpson & King) we haven’t lumbered ourselves with lengthy contracts.

Richard Gould definitely isn’t Mark Ashton.

• Like 8
  • Flames 2
  • Robin 1

7 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Jesus. Look at those stats. 

55039E0D-30D1-4B3F-ACF9-96432EE454A6.png

Don’t know if you remember the Paul Simpson & Tomas Kalas interviews after it?

Basically Simpson said we (him & Downing) just don’t know what to do, no one can enjoy playing in or watching that.

Kalas says we cannot hold on to the ball, so in every game we are just defending until the opposition eventually score, he looked totally beaten.

This is the environment that Pearson inherited so when someone seriously says on a podcast this week “we had no new manager bounce” I mean, WTF, this is what he was working with, many of whom knew we couldn’t afford to keep them even if we had wanted to.

I know Ian Gay likes his numbers, so here’s one, we were statistically the worst team in The Championship in 2021 if the season had started on New Year’s Day, worse than all 3 who went down, this is where we started the summer, once 15 players had been released or returned to Fulham.

• Like 5
  • Flames 2

The difference between this time last year and now is day and night, really. Positives for me include:

• Mark Ashton leaving and taking his cronies with him
  • Trimming the wage bill significantly to bring down costs
  • The development of Pring, Massengo, Semenyo and Scott
  • Having the belief back that we're working to a long-term plan
  • More shots on target/more goals. 

• Like 2

It’s better than expected. Signs of development. We ain’t going down. There’s something long term building.

Broadly, us fans recognise we’re in a bit of a mess and chopping and changing manager won’t solve anything. 

Ironically, I think our financial constraints will and perhaps are, gonna result in us achieving something (not this season let me make that clear) a bit longer term.