IGNORED

Let’s list some positives from the season so far

Beezey

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

I’m pretty positive on the whole to be honest. Scott, HNM and Semenyo are the obvious ones - somehow, we’ve generated about £50m of assets from nothing (or not much), and huge credit has to go to the management there. I also think we’ve been pretty smart in the transfer market - Tanner and Atkinson have upside, Klose looks good and the only real bomb has been King (I class Simpson as last year), and that’s not been at huge cost to us I’d imagine - will also likely transition to coaching.

Joe Williams getting back to fitness will be huge for us longer term as well, and he’s being managed carefully and well from what I see.

Its also obvious to state that our big earners contracts now have one year less on them. It’s a small but important step to financial stability.

Being back in the ground has to be on the list also.

I think the bottom line for me is this. I take where we are now and compare it to where we were a year ago, pretty much one year since NP was appointed, I see more of a plan, a younger, more exciting squad, and I think he knows the areas for improvement to kick it on.

I genuinely don’t think we’re miles off tbh.

But the almighty Ian Gay said NP should be sacked. You must be making all this positivity up ?

8 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Don’t know if you remember the Paul Simpson & Tomas Kalas interviews after it?

Basically Simpson said we (him & Downing) just don’t know what to do, no one can enjoy playing in or watching that.

Kalas says we cannot hold on to the ball, so in every game we are just defending until the opposition eventually score, he looked totally beaten.

This is the environment that Pearson inherited so when someone seriously says on a podcast this week “we had no new manager bounce” I mean, WTF, this is what he was working with, many of whom knew we couldn’t afford to keep them even if we had wanted to.

I know Ian Gay likes his numbers, so here’s one, we were statistically the worst team in The Championship in 2021 if the season had started on New Year’s Day, worse than all 3 who went down, this is where we started the summer, once 15 players had been released or returned to Fulham.

@GrahamC

The point I was trying to make at the end of the podcast was although statistically the win ratios don't lie (to prove Ian's point). It's the manner of the losses this season rather than last for me.

This Barnsley game, and others of course shows how inept we were last season. This season we have conceded 7 goals after 90+ minutes to lose or draw games. Not great of course, but it show that up until that point you are competitive, and if not winning; at least drawing a game.

The championship is a tough league with fine margins. We haven't won a game by two clear goals since Birmingham away last season. However if we can reduce half of those of last minute goals we would only be a few points off the play offs at present.

The team is developing, it's not great; but there is a plan; and a system there. Look at Huddersfield this season, they finished below us last season; with arguably a much better squad, many of them with PL experience. They didn't panic and sack their manager. They invested in his plan, got rid of the dead wood (a bit easier than us last summer, as they had a large number OOC); and now look at them.

Lets see what the summer brings. Lots of decisions over players going into their last year, some on options; and players like Semenyeo & HNM that we really need to lock down to a longer contract. 

Some interesting times ahead.?

• Like 4
  • Robin 1

25 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I can't see how that Huddersfield squad of last season is better than ours of this season. If that's what you mean.

I meant like for like squads of last season.

The point is, they had a plan with Corberan, whether that was a 2 or 3 year plan; and were able to shift the majority of their squad in the summer (13 left on free transfers, Bacuna went to Rangers for £2m, and Elphick retired). This season they haven't spent a penny on transfer fees at all; and are 5th in the table. Like us, some of the players that left on frees they paid big money for (Mbenza 11M , Pritchard 11m being two examples), while replacing them with free transfers. 

We may a year behind them in an ability to change around our squad (16 players OOC Summer 2023), but we have to believe in the plan.

As an aside, look at what's happened to Hull since replacing McCann. A good example of making a change for changes sake.

Edited by NcnsBcfc
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

Jesus. Look at those stats. 

55039E0D-30D1-4B3F-ACF9-96432EE454A6.png

The two home games before the Barnsley result in 20/21..

It STILL baffles me to this day how we managed to beat Huddersfield.

Imagine thinking NP was the issue when he inherited a squad who were just getting battered most games and clinging on from minute 1

City vs Reading 2021.png

City vs Huddersfield 2021.png

Edited by 2015
  • Like 3

41 minutes ago, 2015 said:

It STILL baffles me to this day how we managed to beat Huddersfield.

xG was 0.5 v 2.6 that night.

It was absolutely mad that we won that game. And yet afterwards there were some on here claiming that corner had been turned and we were on the up. The blindness was incomprehensible.

It's why I was so cautious after the Barnsley home win this season. That wasn't quite as shocking as Huddersfield, but it was still a pretty fortunate win at a time when we were really struggling to create chances and had begun to slip back towards those poor performances of a year ago.

I'm excited to see how we develop through the dusk of this season and over the summer.

2 hours ago, JonDolman said:

I can't see how that Huddersfield squad of last season is better than ours of this season. If that's what you mean.

Here’s there whole squad across the season.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/huddersfield-town/startseite/verein/1110?saison_id=2020

I would most definitely say it’s not worse than ours this season, if you really pushed me I’d say because of its depth / size it’s a smidge stronger, but let’s settle for it being the same and keep the peace! ?

I know Neil has confirmed that’s not what he meant.

Last season Huddersfield we’re still in receipt of £40m PPs (and Pipa ?), this season £15m.  That’s means off the back of 12 months with Corberan and a plan, they were well placed in the summer to build into phase 2.

Now just starting to deviate away from the initial point, but trying to liken where City will be this summer.

Whatever individual opinions we have, here’s their signings:

Tom Lees (free)

Matty Pearson (free)

Jordan Rhodes (free)

Oli Turton (free)

Daniel Sinani (loan)

Levi Colwill (loan)

Jan - the return of Eiting (Ajax)

I’d say fairly “modest” on paper, but sensible, logic that addressed gaps in central defence and upfront.  When you’ve got O’Brien, Hogg in midfield that’s somewhere you don’t need to go mad.  Probably mindful PPs coming to an end too, but I suspect reasonable wages paid out, not extreme, but decent.

Going onto City.  If we have a window this summer like Huddersfield’ last summer, I think I’d be happy.  Focus on free transfers, think we will pay small(ish) fees for Lg1/2 players where appropriate.

Do you see it a bit like that?  It doesn’t look exciting.  I don’t think it needs to be exciting….it needs to be smart!

Caveat: if we did sell Semenyo for £15m plus that changes the dynamic.

• Like 3

Even though we sit fairly low in the table, it’s been enjoyable. There is a plan there, we kept the right characters at the club in Weimann and Martin back in the summer. The breakthrough of young talent coming through… first class!

It’s been mentioned above but I think the fans have been great this year too. The majority understand the situation and are just happy to support the players.

• Like 1

-The home form over the last couple of months.

-I actually enjoy watching us most of the time.

-I actually quite like our players and manager.

-The cull of overpaid, dislikable players has started, although two notable players left that we desperately need to rid ourselves of.

-We have a manager who I actually believe has a plan and knows what he wants to achieve rather than pissing about in the wind from one game to the next and one transfer window to the next. I can also listen to him speak without wanting to cut my ears off.

-The amount of academy players that have featured.

-Six points off Cardiff.

-Semenyo and Scott.

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

21 hours ago, Malago said:

After the disastrous end to last season, the huge churn of players going out the door and the fortuitous change of CEO, this season was always going to be about consolidation.  I was worried we would at same stage drop into the relegation zone, which we’ve avoided.

The emergence of the young players is the obvious big plus, including Cam Pring, who I think long term is captain material.

Also the form and goals of Andi Weimann, particularly after coming back from such a serious injury.

I think the next transfer window is particularly important.  I’m hoping COD and Chris Martin will be let go and we can somehow get Palmer and Wells off the payroll giving us scope to get some new blood through the door.  Then of course there’s the retention of The two ASs and HNM which is something which will run and run throughout the summer.

The big plus for me is that we’re in a far better position as club than we were this time last year.

Think there is a case to try to retain (wages permitting) Martin for one more season but largely agree with this post 

Having been close to not getting a season ticket, the past couple of years, I am actually enjoying the football again recently . Plus✔️

Academy players looking more than good enough to play at this level. Plus✔️

The attendances have held up pretty well considering . plus ✔️

The signings have (mostly) looked sensible, to a plan and promising . Plus ✔️

Backroom, fitness and coaching staff seem fit for purpose (Now). Plus ✔️

We look like we have a Manager with a focus, an idea of where he wants to go and a plan to get there. Plus ✔️

This season could have been a disaster , as it stands I am encouraged, and even optimistic for the future. That to me is the biggest plus of all.

• Like 3

I feel as positive about watching City as I have for some time. The young players we have emerging are an absolute joy to watch. Scott, Semenyo and Pring in particular have been great and, for the first time in years, it’s great fun watching us play.

Is it frustrating at times? Of course it is, that’s what happens when you have a lot of young players and you’re a club in transition. But we are attacking with power and pace and I love watching it.

If we can start defending better and keeping some clean sheets, we could really start to climb the table. 

• Like 1

I notice a couple of people mentioning a negative of King, but I was under the impression he wasn't just brought in solely to play (even though he is injured at the moment). I thought it was partly down to his attitude and experience which is a huge positive to others (already buys into Pearsons methods and plans etc). Unless I have that wrong?

On 11/02/2022 at 14:03, cidercity1987 said:

This season has been overwhelmingly positive for me.

I mean, roughly a year ago but just before Pearson was appointed we could barely leave our half.

Bristol City 0-1 Barnsley: Tykes heap misery on managerless Robins - BBC Sport

Midfield 5 of hunt,vyner,lansbury,palmer and ssesegnon -  the stuff of nightmares