IGNORED

Goals analysis

Harry

2 hours ago, JonDolman said:

That Reading goal was bizarre from Weimann. Made a mistake giving the ball away running into a crowd of Reading players in the box when he had 3 city players to the left of him.

But then he has a chance to make up for that mistake as he gets back as they counter. But he let's Laurent run over and pick up a loose ball. Stands there and watches him do it. Then he is positioned well to stop Ince and he just lets him through into the box. 

All players make mistakes but 2 of those 3 mistakes are simply not wanting to defend. Not sure there is any other way of explaining it.

Yesterday he mostly wasn't interested in defending either.

The strengths Weimann linking up with Semenyo and Martin gives us also makes us vulnerable when we defend.

I still prefer this to the 442 long ball of earlier in the season. But surely Pearson can make some basic adjustments in this current system.

Spot on Jon.

I wonder whether he's been told to focus on the attacking link up; and leave the transition in plays to the midfield?

However when he finds himself in positions where he needs to make a challenge  he seems to be thinking something like "I shouldn't be doing this etc", and subsequently suddenly stops; causing confusion.

I can't really knock Andi for his 15 goals, and 6 assists; that tremendous. But something has to change a bit with our defending from the front 3.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

Spot on Jon.

I wonder whether he's been told to focus on the attacking link up; and leave the transition in plays to the midfield?

However when he finds himself in positions where he needs to make a challenge  he seems to be thinking something like "I shouldn't be doing this etc", and subsequently suddenly stops; causing confusion.

I can't really knock Andi for his 15 goals, and 6 assists; that tremendous. But something has to change a bit with our defending from the front 3.

Personally I’d rather go back to the perceived boring football of August and September….with the advantage that we have Semenyo.

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Personally I’d rather go back to the perceived boring football of August and September….with the advantage that we have Semenyo.

Why? General consensus is we're not going to go down this year so what's the benefit.

Personally I think Pearson knows he's got enough points on the board, and as such has started playing more youngsters and experimenting with what he hopes will next year become our actual and effective style of play. If we found ourselves in a relegation fight I think we would swap back to something safer - but if we can get reliable minutes at Championship level into our youngsters, and them playing in a more effective formation where they can enjoy their football and express themselves what's the downside?

I think he's given/giving Max a real fair go, Vyner a fair go, Jay, Scott, Semenyo, Pring, and so on - and I'm not sure if it were solely results we were after that'd be the case. Some will sink and some will swim, for quality or application reasons and this is the best time to find that out. It has downsides of course - but I think he accepts that a few Ws become Ds, and Ds become Ls - but at the end of the season that wont have any real effect on anything in my opinion. We're not going to miss out on the playoffs as a result or go down... maybe he'll lose his all important "He improved our league position year on year" line ;) It's more of the long term thinking. 

Edited by IAmNick

4 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

Why? General consensus is we're not going to go down this year so what's the benefit.

Badly worded.  “Boring” - really meant less expansive, less hung-ho.  I was happy with our early season shape / system, results, performances, gritty determination.  If we could have that back with Martin and Weimann rotated with Semenyo, we might’ve been a bit more exciting (to many) in the final third.

Personally I think Pearson knows he's got enough points on the board,

I think so too.

and as such has started playing more youngsters and experimenting with what he hopes will next year become our actual and effective style of play.

Yes, certainly on the youngsters part…whether style of play is an experiment I don’t know.

If we found ourselves in a relegation fight I think we would swap back to something safer - but if we can get reliable minutes at Championship level into our youngsters, and them playing in a more effective formation where they can enjoy their football and express themselves what's the downside?

Again I agree we youngsters minutes.  He did it last season and it gave him an idea how far his could push it this season.  I’d just prefer he uses this to really work on how he wants to play next season, identify the weaknesses, the gaps, etc.

I think he's given/giving Max a real fair go, Vyner a fair go, Jay a fair go, and so on - and I'm not sure if it were solely results we were after that'd be the case.

Agree.

It has downsides of course - but I think he accepts that a few Ws become Ds, and Ds become Ls - but at the end of the season that wont have any real effect on anything in my opinion. It's more of the long term thinking.

Agree.

⬆️⬆️⬆️

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

Which is why Alex Scott was allowed to pull out of a tackle five seconds before a penalty was given the other night with no criticism whatsoever. In fact pointing it out meant you were picking on him and that you think he's shit because some people do not have the intelligence to realise that you can think a player is the best prospect the club has produced for years yet still be frustrated with him for making a basic mistake. Our fans have this odd fascination with favourites and pantomime villains meaning the likes of Vyner can do no right whatever he does and the likes of HNM and Scott conversely do no wrong.......even when they clearly do wrong.

Agree, fine to acknowledge that one player is more in credit than another, but no reason to go full halo/horns bias and make everything that goes wrong Zak’s fault, whoever’s making the mistakes. Every match that goes by highlights how much we miss James, what he does well is not (yet) the core strength of AS or HNM (and no reason it should be given where they are in their career, but also no point pretending they are there yet). 

21 hours ago, IAmNick said:

Personally I think Pearson knows he's got enough points on the board, and as such has started playing more youngsters and experimenting with what he hopes will next year become our actual and effective style of play. If we found ourselves in a relegation fight I think we would swap back to something safer - but if we can get reliable minutes at Championship level into our youngsters, and them playing in a more effective formation where they can enjoy their football and express themselves what's the downside?

I think he's given/giving Max a real fair go, Vyner a fair go, Jay, Scott, Semenyo, Pring, and so on - and I'm not sure if it were solely results we were after that'd be the case. Some will sink and some will swim, for quality or application reasons and this is the best time to find that out. It has downsides of course - but I think he accepts that a few Ws become Ds, and Ds become Ls - but at the end of the season that wont have any real effect on anything in my opinion. We're not going to miss out on the playoffs as a result or go down... maybe he'll lose his all important "He improved our league position year on year" line ;) It's more of the long term thinking. 

Then why did he lose his rag in the post match interview?

2 hours ago, Colemanballs said:

Then why did he lose his rag in the post match interview?

I don't know. A guess would be that in order to find out who deserves to be here next year clear expectations need to be set, and no doubt when they're not met, or he feels people aren't meeting them, it's incredibly frustrating.

He still wants to win, and after a defeat I'm sure he's pissed off - especially if it's in a manner he thinks could be avoided. That doesn't mean he doesn't accept any mistakes or "transitional" performances along the way, and I'm sure it's easier to be a bit "big picture"/stoical once the dust has settled.

Edited by IAmNick
  • Like 1