IGNORED

Englands fixtures in the Nations league

Never to the dark side

Thought Foden, Kane and Bellingham did well.

Now for the negatives…where to start. Clearly all has to go back to Southgate. He has seemingly lost the plot and taken us backwards over the past 6 months. What I liked about him on the tournament runs was that he was able to get the players and fans to care about international football again after the shambles of 2016. But he has always been out of his depth in the big moments - tactically outclassed. Nice guy and clearly managed to motivate (until now) but lacks a lot in other departments as a manager. Problem we now have the is the timing. They won’t get rid of him before the WC due to how close it is and the 2 previous tournaments. Real shame we have to write off a tournament with the players we have so late. 

On the players…was Sterling drunk? Couldn’t control it. Saka looked uncomfortable. Pope couldn’t kick the ball to any of our players. Dier did ok but he’s not the level we need. Maguire looked ok too but he is way off any kind of 2018-2020 form. We missed Stones a lot. Rice was ok but not as good as he has been. James didn’t offer anywhere near enough which was frustrating as the ability is there. Thought Grealish looked good when he came on but that’s the same every time with him - never offers anything when he starts sadly. 

Feel depressed after that! At least we weren’t held in the ground too long after. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Taylor10 said:

I am really surprised Webster hasn’t had a look in. Not saying that through City tinted glasses but I think his style & ability would be very suited to international football. I think the issue at CB goes way deeper than Maguire though & Southgate’s over the top loyalty appears part of the reason why this side is stagnating.

Do I think Maguire should be playing? No, but his involvement is easier to argue given his strong tournament displays for England. Personally I find the inclusions of Dier & Coady pointless.

We know all about Dier. He’s not up to the level so why go back? Why not have a look at someone different? He’s simply not going to be part of a future England defence. Same with Coady, he’s been in and around the squad for a while, has never broken in to hold a regular starting place, likely never will & couldn’t get in at Wolves but because he’s good around the squad he’s included? Surely that’s just stopping others getting a chance. Seems so odd. The likes of Guehi, Tomori, White & of course Webster should be getting a look in.

Should have started. In form, pace, playing in his home stadium. The whole squad, team is looking 'tired' (not physically / mentally). Too late now but fresh ideas were needed leading up to the WC

43 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

That suit mancini had on blimey where did he get that?A car boot sale?

What are you on about? Mancini oozes the kind of style that someone like you can only dream of. The suit was a classic summer book end look. As an ensemble his outfit successfully harnessed the wistful and bittersweet reflections that are so often carried on the last few breezes of the warmer months. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

8 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Italy were a much different side for 2-3 years under Mancini tbh @Swede they generally went at sides, and generally dominated most opposition, nick a goal and win is fairly misleading for then, albeit more accurate for now.

Tonight was poor yes, although we don't win over there often to say the least. We have sharply declined last 6 months however.

Think 4-3-3 and handbreak off would suit us quite well are we just s bit risk averse atm? Bit flat certainly.

I think his loyalty to some players is now costing him big time.

Early on in his regime you had to be in form and continually playing well to get into his team. Now its a case of picking names he thinks he can rely on because he himself has run out of ideas.

Considering the central defenders he has at his disposal for the three positions, he decided to pick a right back, a converted midfield player and an out of form reserve centre back, hardly inspiring!

Added to that two wing backs who were frustratingly poor all night and a keeper who's recently moved to a new club so still finding his feet who continually played short balls that were closed down easily and you have a recipe for disaster.

All Italy did was hit long balls over the top because of Dier's & Maguire's lack of pace and Walker's lack of spacial awareness playing centrally.

I will be surprised if we get out of the group in Qatar.

Regarding 2018 WC and Euro 2020 I'll start..

It was easy for England in 2018. I think it was the lowest expectation the Nation had towards the national team since the 1980s, we had a relatively easy group which we succeeded from and we rode the underdogs luck and crest of a wave.

Euro 2020 we played 6 out of 7 games at Wembley and did quite well, we got the job done but when it came to when it mattered it was Southgate's negative approach which cost us. He is a reactive Manager.

I know fans like to point out previous but this is the now, he aint good enough and his squad selections and team selections are quite simply baffling at times. Raymond Domenech got France to a World Cup final and is regarded the worst France manager ever. We need to stop reminiscing on the last two tournaments as sadly they were also failures, no matter how you look at it, we didn't win and that was down to Southgate.

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

Three at the back doesn’t work at all.  Just play this team which should be quite exciting.  Only position I’m  not completely sold on is who partners Stones.  Could be Tomori, Webster, White….many options there.  Can’t see much to argue about with the rest of this team though. 

Pickford/Ramsdale
James. Stones. Tomori. Chilwell 
        Bellingham. Rice. Foden 
       Sterling.  Kane. Grealish.

12 hours ago, Red Army 87 said:

Sadly I fear an Iceland moment coming up at this World Cup 

I expect more of a 2010 tbh, bore our way through the group stages just about but face Netherlands and crash out.

It’s not beyond possibility to go out in the group stage tbh - wouldn’t fancy us if we needed a result against wales, especially as they should get 4 or 6 points from first 2 games

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, phantom said:

If it wasn't these games it would be unnecessary friendly fixtures 

Which ironically is exactly what England are in desperate need of after we play Germany 

It's actually not a bad concept in itself IMO, teams are playing against opposition more of their level and in bottom and 2nd bottom, occasionally the 2nd tier trams can develop.

Squeezing it in with this crazy schedule is another thing of course but in general it has merits I think.

When we did teach the semi final in 2018-19 v Holland, we started well but steadily faded especially in midfield. Then again that's nothing that new is it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

I expect more of a 2010 tbh, bore our way through the group stages just about but face Netherlands and crash out.

It’s not beyond possibility to go out in the group stage tbh - wouldn’t fancy us if we needed a result against wales, especially as they should get 4 or 6 points from first 2 games

This is what I foresee too. I can see us really struggling in the Group to be honest and I think Iran, USA and Wales are all capable of beating us. We really do look out of sorts. Similar to City in the last 3 months of Holden's reign

5 minutes ago, gl2 said:

Cant see no big deal really, the team that started v Italy will be nothing like the one that starts the WC. With Kane and Sterling and maybe 1 or 2 more from last night starting the first game imo.

Our opener at the WC is against Iran, who beat Uruguay last night. Might be worth a bet on them. I'm expecting at least one Iceland moment and Southgate to go after we don't qualify. 

3 hours ago, Alex_BCFC said:

Thought Foden, Kane and Bellingham did well.

Now for the negatives…where to start. Clearly all has to go back to Southgate. He has seemingly lost the plot and taken us backwards over the past 6 months. What I liked about him on the tournament runs was that he was able to get the players and fans to care about international football again after the shambles of 2016. But he has always been out of his depth in the big moments - tactically outclassed. Nice guy and clearly managed to motivate (until now) but lacks a lot in other departments as a manager. Problem we now have the is the timing. They won’t get rid of him before the WC due to how close it is and the 2 previous tournaments. Real shame we have to write off a tournament with the players we have so late. 

On the players…was Sterling drunk? Couldn’t control it. Saka looked uncomfortable. Pope couldn’t kick the ball to any of our players. Dier did ok but he’s not the level we need. Maguire looked ok too but he is way off any kind of 2018-2020 form. We missed Stones a lot. Rice was ok but not as good as he has been. James didn’t offer anywhere near enough which was frustrating as the ability is there. Thought Grealish looked good when he came on but that’s the same every time with him - never offers anything when he starts sadly. 

Feel depressed after that! At least we weren’t held in the ground too long after. 

Think this closely sums up my thoughts.

Ive always been pro Southgate, and I don’t think everything tonight was down to him - players should be able to move the ball quicker, 3-4 touches instead of 1-2 is too long at this level and passing lanes get blocked.

I like Maguires forward passing, he’s brave and beats the press / breaks lines. However he’s a shadow of his former self defensively and some of his decision making is wild (that header back pass and that corner he gave away are two examples)

Sterling looked awful. It’s a worry that the “nailed on” starters are so out of form. Even more so we’re one game away from the WC with no idea of our best 11 or preferred shape as he changed it tonight.

Saka is not a LWB.

Grealish excites but he’s an absolute idiot. Potentially a starter for Monday but picks up a stupid booking and now he’s suspended!

I’m always over positive about England, but that was terrible last night - and I thought Italy were poor too, gave the ball away a lot it was a low quality game.

17 minutes ago, gl2 said:

Cant see no big deal really, the team that started v Italy will be nothing like the one that starts the WC. With Kane and Sterling and maybe 1 or 2 more from last night starting the first game imo.

Really? Maguire, Walker, Rice, Sterling, Kane, Foden will probably all start. Bellingham and James quite likely too

Pope, probably not. Dier, didn’t do anything wrong but would like to hope we’ve got better quality. Saka not in that position.

I think there’s basically 0 possibility that Southgate won’t be our manager this WC.

I’ve always been very sceptical of him, and I fully concede that’s perhaps unfair given tournament results. 

I’d like to think the FA would be seriously considering a change, but they won’t be. There’s a few good managers out of work who I think would do just as good if not better than Southgate.

48 minutes ago, gl2 said:

Really? Walker Maguire Saka Rice Bellingham Foden Sterling and kane will all start.

1 hour ago, gl2 said:

If everyone is fit for the first game then the team will likely be

Pickford

Walker. Stones.  Maguire

James.  Rice. Phillips.  ??????

Sterling. Kane.  Foden 

7 starters from last night. 

4 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Look at all the names in the england team. How on earth can you get relegated and embarrassed by also rans?

Overrated most of them, poor defence no creativity in Central midfield and a striker whose goals have mainly come against weak opposition(easy qualifying groups) and via penalties. England are an average side nothing more.