IGNORED

Cundy

Port Said Red

I was really impressed with Rob Cundy when came on today, he won 2 aerial challenges, but more to the point he acted like a more senior player out there. He was calling the lines, and encouraging people around him from the minute he walked out.

Edited by Port Said Red
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Yep, I commented on the ‘todays defending’ thread how he was organising everyone around him. Seemed to be very talkative. I like that. 
I played with a few decent CB’s in my time, and as a CM, the best one was a chap who just wouldn’t shut up all game, constantly talking to everyone and telling them what was happening. He was of course behind me and could see play develop better than I could from midfield, so his constant communication was brilliant. 
I do think we lack a bit of this at the moment. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, firstdivision said:

Er, you need to have a look at his defending on the Boro goal.

27 minutes ago, steveybadger said:

Quite 

Not sure what he's done wrong, the ball was swung in for the attacker to run onto and it was placed perfectly out of his reach. 

Who ever allowed Crooks to get the run is more at fault.

• Hmmm 1

49 minutes ago, Harry said:

Yep, I commented on the ‘todays defending’ thread how he was organising everyone around him. Seemed to be very talkative. I like that. 
I played with a few decent CB’s in my time, and as a CM, the best one was a chap who just wouldn’t shut up all game, constantly talking to everyone and telling them what was happening. He was of course behind me and could see play develop better than I could from midfield, so his constant communication was brilliant. 
I do think we lack a bit of this at the moment. 

It's something, like you say we've lacked for ages.

Klose and now Cundy doing that will really help. Williams has it too in a different way.

Kalas and Baker for all their positives are relatively mute. As are many in the squad.

I also really like a vocal GK who bullies and dominates the 18 yard box. Would like to see more of that in Bentley and Max.

As you say...it helps when they can see behind you so to speak.

Think Massengo the other week when he went wrong direction.

Football has in general become less vocal, which imo, isn't a good thing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, firstdivision said:

Er, you need to have a look at his defending on the Boro goal.

58 minutes ago, steveybadger said:

Quite 

Kalas loses Crooks then gets completely under the ball. 
Cundy jumps at the same time as Crooks, but Crooks has a ‘running’ jump and is already 2 inches taller than Cundy anyway, so literally nothing Cundy could do with that, against one of the best aerial threats in the division, left unmarked and unblocked for a free run. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

8 minutes ago, Harry said:

Cundy jumps at the same time as Crooks, but Crooks has a ‘running’ jump and is already 2 inches taller than Cundy anyway, so literally nothing Cundy could do with that, against one of the best aerial threats in the division, left unmarked and unblocked for a free run. 

Agree, whipped in and headed from 4 yards centre of goal really needs either the keeper to deal with or the man markers to do better, 8 yards out or more loopy, then it’s easier for the zonal defenders like Cundy to be dominant. In reality, probably more a good corner, run and header than any horrific defending. 

• Like 5
  • Hmmm 1

7 hours ago, Harry said:

You see what you want to see. That’s fine by me. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

37 minutes ago, firstdivision said:

I agree to an extent. Obviously whoever was tracking Crooks should have done better but the way we set up with the corner it looks like Cundy had a free role so should be attacking the ball if it comes anywhere near him, but he did just sort of nothing.

Wiki has Cundy as 6'1"!? That can't be right surely? I thought he was 6'5"ish! Always looks a bit of lanky monster.

37 minutes ago, firstdivision said:

That’s fine. We differ in our opinion. 
I’d be interested to know your reasoning though. 
I’ve given my reasoning, that a 6’3 magnificent aerial threat with a free run, will always outjump a 6’1 static defender, and that the person who was marking that player (Kalas) needs to do a better job of either competing for the ball himself (also with a running jump), or at the very least make some kind of block on the attacker. 

To date, you’ve mentioned that we “need to have a look at his defending on the corner”, which I have done and given a detailed opinion. 
It would be good and balanced if you were to offer us your contrary opinion so that we can fully understand how your valid opinion has been gathered…….

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, grifty said:

I agree to an extent. Obviously whoever was tracking Crooks should have done better but the way we set up with the corner it looks like Cundy had a free role so should be attacking the ball if it comes anywhere near him, but he did just sort of nothing.

Wiki has Cundy as 6'1"!? That can't be right surely? I thought he was 6'5"ish! Always looks a bit of lanky monster.

Yep. The zonal marking means that the ball in this area is to be defended by Cundy. Cundy is in the correct spot, he doesn’t need to move toward the ball, it’s coming right at him, right where he is stood. He leaps at the same time as Crooks. But a running jumper, 2 inches taller, will win that header every time. 

There is nothing Cundy can do about it. He can’t get himself a better leap by going toward the ball as it’s coming to exactly where he is stood. All he can do is get up into the air as high as he can. Which he does. He’s simply beaten by a taller man who can also leap higher because of the additional height he can get from a running jump as opposed to a standing jump. 

• Like 1

He’s had 3 sub appearances now totalling 21 minutes & is out of contract this summer.

He will be 25 before next season starts so although I accept he was a late arrival in the professional game, he is not a promising youngster so we do need to have a serious think about whether he’s worth a new deal.

I get the enthusiasm but we need more evidence to base the decision on, we need a fourth CB & assuming Klose stays fit & earns a deal, with Atkinson & Kalas (who I think will still be here next season) that’s the role we are potentially looking for him to fill.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

He’s had 3 sub appearances now totalling 21 minutes & is out of contract this summer.

He will be 25 before next season starts so although I accept he was a late arrival in the professional game, he is not a promising youngster so we do need to have a serious think about whether he’s worth a new deal.

I get the enthusiasm but we need more evidence to base the decision on, we need a fourth CB & assuming Klose stays fit & earns a deal, with Atkinson & Kalas (who I think will still be here next season) that’s the role we are potentially looking for him to fill.

I agree with that. He’s got to make an impression now.

The things he has done in those 21 minutes such as leaving a bit on a player and chucking one on the floor. I’ve not seen that aggression in Vyner or Moore, ever.

17 minutes ago, Harry said:

That’s fine. We differ in our opinion. 
I’d be interested to know your reasoning though. 
I’ve given my reasoning, that a 6’3 magnificent aerial threat with a free run, will always outjump a 6’1 static defender, and that the person who was marking that player (Kalas) needs to do a better job of either competing for the ball himself (also with a running jump), or at the very least make some kind of block on the attacker. 

To date, you’ve mentioned that we “need to have a look at his defending on the corner”, which I have done and given a detailed opinion. 
It would be good and balanced if you were to offer us your contrary opinion so that we can fully understand how your valid opinion has been gathered…….

Agree with all that. However, is he really 6ft 1?! He looks closer to 6ft 4 to me.

1 hour ago, Harry said:

Yep. The zonal marking means that the ball in this area is to be defended by Cundy. Cundy is in the correct spot, he doesn’t need to move toward the ball, it’s coming right at him, right where he is stood. He leaps at the same time as Crooks. But a running jumper, 2 inches taller, will win that header every time. 

There is nothing Cundy can do about it. He can’t get himself a better leap by going toward the ball as it’s coming to exactly where he is stood. All he can do is get up into the air as high as he can. Which he does. He’s simply beaten by a taller man who can also leap higher because of the additional height he can get from a running jump as opposed to a standing jump. 

I think in general you are spot on, possibly he could of been stronger, but I would be looking elsewhere if I was appointing ‘ blame ‘. Kalas gets caught the wrong side of a cluster of players, rather than staying  ‘touch tight’, he then gets caught under the flight trying to gain the lost yards. Bentley is blocked off (maybe should of had some protection?) & can’t there. Would personally be looking at how we set up, Klose the most experienced & tallest player at the back post, surely should be where Cundy is & vice versa, bossing it. From their side of it, good corner, good movement. COYR 

626E6A94-B3D1-492C-8681-A8179C738911.png

9B288F27-418B-41D3-8F24-E82802DB616E.png

4421F0A6-2C8F-4145-9854-E6647F04BEBA.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

In terms of experience at this level, he is very much a promising youngster.

Let me give a very good example from the past that shows there are many who develop much later than an eighteen year superstar.

Gordon Parr, one of the best defenders I've seen at City made his debut at 20 years. But played only a couple of games in the next five years before becoming an automatic selection for the next ten years.

So don't give up on any twenty five year old. Cundy and Vyner to name two.

Edited by cidered abroad

Along with our struggles to stop crosses from open play, think we’re a bit too comfortable giving away corners. We’re defending them pretty well, Martin being key to this, but giving away 13 is always likely to result in at least some chances. Body language when we give away a corner rarely seems frustrated, more happy that the situation we were dealing with has been nullified. Clearly sometimes that’s true, but quite a few are sloppy.

One of the reasons we gave away a lot yesterday, was we did better at stopping crosses, but don’t think giving away corners is the solution. If we get to 4-3-3 we need the wide midfield and forward players to put on more pressure out wide, further up the pitch, as opponents tend to have acres of space down our flanks. Right now I’d accept a bit more coming through the middle, as both DB and MOL better at shot stopping and one on ones than they are at dealing with crosses, but accept there’s some whack-a-mole risks.  

Edited by The Swan and Cemetery

11 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Not sure what he's done wrong, the ball was swung in for the attacker to run onto and it was placed perfectly out of his reach. 

Who ever allowed Crooks to get the run is more at fault.

10 hours ago, Harry said:

Fair points both - i guess my ongoing concern is that I would’ve thought the guy stood in the middle of the 6 yard box would be your go to header of the ball, but RC barely seemed to get off the ground (appreciating he didn’t get a run at it).

10 hours ago, Harry said:

Was a different set piece set up yesterday.  Typically Kalas defends the 6 yard box…yesterday he marked Crooks.  He did lose him on the goal.