IGNORED

Beckenbauer 1974

Port Said Red

That's what Joe Williams had me thinking of today. I am not suggesting that he is anywhere near the quality of "Der Kaiser" but the position he played was a real journey back in time for me.

I think we all looked at the teamsheet today and thought "where are the defenders?" Dasilva in a 3? Scott at right back? Etc etc. Even after we kicked off, I was still doubtful, thinking if Williams is in a 3 why is he getting so far up the pitch, has he forgotten where he is supposed to be? 

But it soon started to fall into place. I am sure some older people on here have seen references to defensive midfielders and thought well that's just what we used to call "a sweeper", or what @Davefevs refers to as a "front sweeper" on another thread, but today Williams showed just how different those two positions are, and I really think it took 'boro almost the whole of the first half to work out what was happening because it's rarely used in that way in the modern game.

Hats off to NP and probably Curtis Fleming more so, for the amount of work they must have put in on the training ground to play that formation.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Port Said Red said:

That's what Joe Williams had me thinking of today. I am not suggesting that he is anywhere near the quality of "Der Kaiser" but the position he played was a real journey back in time for me.

I think we all looked at the teamsheet today and thought "where are the defenders?" Dasilva in a 3? Scott at right back? Etc etc. Even after we kicked off, I was still doubtful, thinking if Williams is in a 3 why is he getting so far up the pitch, has he forgotten where he is supposed to be? 

But it soon started to fall into place. I am sure some older people on here have seen references to defensive midfielders and thought well that's just what we used to call "a sweeper", or what @Davefevs refers to as a "front sweeper" on another thread, but today Williams showed just how different those two positions are, and I really think it took 'boro almost the whole of the first half to work out what was happening because it's rarely used in that way in the modern game.

Hats off to NP and probably Curtis Fleming more so, for the amount of work they must have put in on the training ground to play that formation.

IMO that is how a 3 at the back should be played. Two defenders and then one who can sweep up anything in behind when out of possession & step into midfield when in possession. It was something Ajax did in the 90’s & something I remember being coached back then. Glenn Hoddle & Rudd Gullit were very good exponents of that position. Really pleasing to see today. COYR 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

In fairness, it was Nige who called him a “front sweeper”, not me.  Can’t claim that!

Rather than Beckenbauer (who I was too young to see, first WC was 78 for me) I thought it was more Ronald Koeman like.

• Like 2

Ok Williams great in that defender sweeper role today and did much to enable today's 3 points. But we need him fit enough to do that every week.is he, can he ?. Klose/Kala's big partnership which needs to continued. And loved Bellls performance tills his legs went . So do we see this now every week ? I hope so 

9 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Thanks very much for your thread. I was going to start a similar one today as I considered Williams was very good in the holding midfield role. A job that allows the energetic ones like Massengo and Scott to do most of the running. A role that covered the central defenders. A massive unheralded contribution to the win.

• Like 2

I am a big fan of Williams. Read a lot about him when I knew we were in for him originally, I thought Williams and Walsh were going to be the dream team. Anyway, my mate I sit next to is an Everton supporter and he has said several times , the guys he knows up there raved about him. A few thought he would be the next big thing. You can see he has vision, he can break up play, he keeps things moving and is usually available (bit like Wade Elliot was). Massive shame he lost so much time, but I hope he can prove what many think he can be. I like the Beckenbauer comparison, Joe doesn't glide around in quite the same way (yet), but I thought he was excellent yesterday.