IGNORED

City v Boro 60% per cent possesion, corner count 13-0.

Never to the dark side

Only one stat counts - 2 goals to 1.

I thought Middlesbrough were well organised but overplayed the passing, they should try being a little more direct now and then, mix it up a bit. Having said that, they didn't seem to have anything up front really. But they're getting results under Wilder (no shock there), best of luck to them as they aren't an entitled lot, unlike some other clubs/supporters, and their supporters made a great effort to get down here in numbers and showed a lot of respect to the AG8.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

I thought Middlesbrough were well organised but overplayed the passing, they should try being a little more direct now and then, mix it up a bit. Having said that, they didn't seem to have anything up front really. But they're getting results under Wilder (no shock there), best of luck to them as they aren't an entitled lot, unlike some other clubs/supporters, and their supporters made a great effort to get down here in numbers and showed a lot of respect to the AG8.

We always carried that threat certainly a lot more than Boro. 

39 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

They’ve been rotating their four strikers of late, seems to be Balogun / Connolly or Whatmore / Sporar, Wilder plumping for the first pair on Saturday.  I don’t think they caused us too many problems in the main. We were very effective at stopping McNair building attacks by coming forward from the left side,  we were happy to let Fry have it centrally, and he looked lost if he had to moving forward with the ball.  When they did get good “territory” in our third, I did like the rotation of their midfield runners, working in pairs to come short and go long.  That 15 minute period at the end of the first half had me worried, but they didn’t create much.  Second half the game became a bit more open, but although their shot count grew, it was mainly chances from angles or outside the box.  We defended well.

• Like 2

I think there are two reasons for City’s low possession. One is the team plays a fast counter attacking game. This creates chances, and goals, but doesn’t retain possession for any length of time. The other is City needs another midfield player to help win the ball from the opposition. As it stands, once the other team has the ball, it’s difficult to get it back 

The corner count is interesting ?
what I found more interesting was the fouls for and against according to BBC with gave away 19 fouls to Middlesbroughs 6 so in short they had 19 free kicks to our 6 ! 
We are by no means a dirty team or so I thought ?! However does this have something to do we poor/ inconsistent match officials. 

10 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

I think there are two reasons for City’s low possession. One is the team plays a fast counter attacking game. This creates chances, and goals, but doesn’t retain possession for any length of time. The other is City needs another midfield player to help win the ball from the opposition. As it stands, once the other team has the ball, it’s difficult to get it back 

Thought these might be of interest to you…from TheAnalyst website.

Passing sequences of 10+ passes:

104502FC-E2AA-4656-B281-3E4E2C577282.thumb.jpeg.4ba090c7946fd9405447c40798403fa2.jpeg

City well down the list.

I’ve highlighted in green those teams that benefit from passing it a lot, and those in red who I’d say pass it for passing’s sake!  Derby’s is probably a bit harsh, as they’d be higher up the table w/o their points deduction.

Then I look at who creates the most direct attacks:

84ACA932-D7BA-4011-A841-0B7BF7D23077.thumb.jpeg.4d976271b909c0a05c5eb711ad7641d6.jpeg

City now in the top half, but none of the teams who are really struggling counter attack better than the top teams.  Watch out for Coventry on the break tomorrow night.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hertsexile said:

what I found more interesting was the fouls for and against according to BBC with gave away 19 fouls to Middlesbroughs 6 so in short they had 19 free kicks to our 6 ! 
We are by no means a dirty team or so I thought ?! However does this have something to do we poor/ inconsistent match officials. 

Until 3 games ago we were the cleanest team in the Champ based on fouls committed.  We’ve moved up 3 places due to some awful referees.

4 minutes ago, hertsexile said:

The previous match as well, the discrepancy between fouls for and against was extraordinary!

9 minutes ago, hertsexile said:

More to do with not having possession,you are of course more likely to commit fouls if you haven’t got the ball

26 minutes ago, hertsexile said:

Apart from the last one thought we defended them really well in difficult conditions.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Show Me The Money! said:

Chris Wilder was very gracious in his post match. Didn’t grumble about them dominating the game. Just bemoaned his teams defending and quality in the final 3rd

Pretty straightforward like our manager. Doesn't take supporters for mugs and won't dress anything up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hertsexile said:

Happening a lot lately. Against Reading we had 26 fouls against their 5. Dives clearly do not count as fouls.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Here’s 11 of the 13.  EFL / iFollow cameraman / producer missed two cutting to replays!!

Very interesting. I always look at these somewhat through the eyes of the goalie. He was quite happy to come for them in the six yard box. Boro mixed it up a bit, but compare the second one with the last one. Second one, they put a player on the goalie, and we have an ‘unblocker’ that gives Bentley space. Last one, we didn’t, and Bentley get completely blocked. Lost the runner as well of course, but don’t like letting them leave a player alone on the goalie. 

Edited by cityexile