IGNORED

Man city handball Vs Everton

Will Rollason

2 minutes ago, Will Rollason said:

Watched Frank bemoaning it so I had a look.... Dear oh dear.. Even with VAR they couldn't get it right.

I mean it's not even borderline, it's handball, ref said he didn't see it . Fair enough but the VAR guys did and they said no penalty you don't need to have a look. ..???????

Yeah but he only controlled it with one arm.

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Isawjonshaw said:

The majority of the officiating at the Euros was really good imho.  How has it gone so downhill this season?

What’s that got to do with the Premier League?

Some sources said there was an offside in the build up before, though premier league official response was they couldn’t be certain it was handball. don’t forget Handball is anything below the sleeve now

Left pic looks like no handball to me, by that rule. Right looks handball but no way from that angle you can tell where it’s touching.

If not a clear and obvious error then no over rule?

image.png.29e034ae4c6d049fb463a9e0f9959cf0.png

• Hmmm 1

6 hours ago, MarcusX said:

What’s that got to do with the Premier League?

Some sources said there was an offside in the build up before, though premier league official response was they couldn’t be certain it was handball. don’t forget Handball is anything below the sleeve now

Left pic looks like no handball to me, by that rule. Right looks handball but no way from that angle you can tell where it’s touching.

If not a clear and obvious error then no over rule?

image.png.29e034ae4c6d049fb463a9e0f9959cf0.png

Agreed, it wasn't a clear and obvious error so should not have been overturned, the match of the day team were totally in the wrong in the way they castigated the officials and it showed they didn't know the rule.

My problem with VAR is that the "clear and obvious" part of it's existence is so rarely applied.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Agreed, it wasn't a clear and obvious error so should not have been overturned, the match of the day team were totally in the wrong in the way they castigated the officials and it showed they didn't know the rule.

My problem with VAR is that the "clear and obvious" part of it's existence is so rarely applied.

From the posts and down loaded evidence this is not a deliberate hand ball to me any way. I agree with Port.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Taunton_BCFC said:

Big clubs get the decisions FACT

Unconscious bias or even sometimes blatant cheating.

They have had this issue in American sports with replays for years. "Big" clubs, bigger advertising revenue, TV coverage and influence etc.

Goal line tech is fine but this rest is  joy killing, just accept the odd wrong decision by the officials and enjoy the game in real time.

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

If you need video that is slowed down numerous times and zoomed in on then by definition it is not "clear and obvious".

That is "forensic".

Handball all day long for me. Watching the game he raised his arm into an unnatural position, towards the ball and leant into it. Some of the ball is below the sleeve line. His reaction afterwards was telling, he knew he had hand balled it. Var took ages (again) to come out on the side of the bigger club.

• Like 1

5 seconds and the VAR Ref should call the on field Ref over to look.
In real time it is almost impossible to tell where the imaginary VAR line on the arm, actually is. In fact, I'd dispute the Ref can see the contact. That means it's not even overturning a decision, but letting the Ref see it from a better angle . 

1145579598_Screenshot2022-02-27at09_40_51.png.758cfe8d81baf63e0f605ddd7a697646.png

1 hour ago, VT05763 said:

Unconscious bias or even sometimes blatant cheating.

They have had this issue in American sports with replays for years. "Big" clubs, bigger advertising revenue, TV coverage and influence etc.

Goal line tech is fine but this rest is  joy killing, just accept the odd wrong decision by the officials and enjoy the game in real time.

Yep, GLT is definite, no subjectivity….and the technology is proven.  Even the Villa / Sheff Utd goal proved the ball was over the line, just that the SMS wasn’t received to the refs watch in a timely manner.

The rest, well the rules aren’t able to be determined in a black and white fashion, so it can’t possibly work…work well.

1 hour ago, VT05763 said:

If you need video that is slowed down numerous times and zoomed in on then by definition it is not "clear and obvious".

That is "forensic".

Yep, there should be no Stockley Park, just a ref able to check if he’s missed something.  Gets a standard set of camera views, real-time, and then makes his decision.  That’s as far as it should go, notwithstanding I don’t think it should be used anyway. 

53 minutes ago, sinenomine said:

VAR is a failed experiment

Yep, it needs to be removed if they can’t do better than what they have already.

11 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

What is the handball rule these days?

Darned if I know. 

Handball x EPL x VAR. Using Var there is an assessment of does the ball hit a red area = offence or green = non offence.

According to guidance a players arm does not start at his shoulder. The red area starts above the elbow and so does the green. The pictures on this thread show a ball striking the green/red area = Its not conclusively a penalty = No clear and obvious error = Its not a penalty.

Edited by Cowshed

If this isn’t handball, then the current rule needs changing … again.

The point of the rule is to stop a player controlling the ball deliberately with their hand or arm. You can’t really do that with your shoulder, but you can with your upper arm, as he clearly did in this instance. He definitely controlled it and I’m 90% sure it was deliberate.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Handball x EPL x VAR. Using Var there is an assessment of does the ball hit a red area = offence or green = non offence.

According to guidance a players arm does not start at his shoulder. The red area starts above the elbow and so does the green. The pictures on this thread show a ball striking the green/red area = Its not conclusively a penalty = No clear and obvious error = Its not a penalty.

Not sure whether your description is poorly worded / poorly interpreted, but you seem to imply there is an overlapping red and green area.  There’s not as far as the stuff I’ve read this morning.

image.thumb.png.4298513f47f711fa01562bf2d3586fff.png

Handball.

Stop with the stupid, "did he mean it", intent argument. Or ball-to-arm not arm-to-ball. If it's obvious and not an unavoidable plus it has given the player an advantage, it's a penalty.

That said, I really hate Liverpool so happy for Man City to take the points.

• Like 1