IGNORED

Man city handball Vs Everton

Will Rollason

40 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Not sure whether your description is poorly worded / poorly interpreted, but you seem to imply there is an overlapping red and green area.  There’s not as far as the stuff I’ve read this morning.

image.thumb.png.4298513f47f711fa01562bf2d3586fff.png

I've always wanted to know, for someone like a Ref to come out and explain, where exactly that line is. What are the specific  rules to place that line.

Is it the shirt?  not all the same.
Is it some arbitrary line? Then we need measurements.
To have a line, drawn in mid air almost makes no sense.
Then does all the ball have to be over said line ? That means it could possibly hit your elbow ! :surrender:

34 minutes ago, TBW said:

Handball.

Stop with the stupid, "did he mean it", intent argument. Or ball-to-arm not arm-to-ball. If it's obvious and not an unavoidable plus it has given the player an advantage, it's a penalty.

That said, I really hate Liverpool so happy for Man City to take the points.

It’s still subjective, obvious to one is not to another. Handball is a rule that will rarely have 100% agreement except for example Suarez in the World Cup 

If the referee can tell the VAR that he is uncertain or did not see it as he would have liked then VAR do not have the higher burden of establishing a clear and obvious error. The evidence seems to be very strong but stops short of fully conclusive. If the ref says nothing to VAR they likely do not award a penalty. If he says he would like their standalone opinion it is in all probability a penalty. They are still humans and humans make mistakes, plenty of them. Mind you given that it is Man City I think they are looking for a “clean catch” to use a cricket term before changing the decision.

If VAR is to be used, then it should be used like rugby. Another official watching the game and communicating with the on-field ref.

Anything missed by the on-field ref can be picked up, and the on-field ref can ask for clarification if he’s not sure.

The game would take longer, no doubt, but you should get more right decisions than wrong.

And the refs should be mic’d up.

6 hours ago, TBW said:

Handball.

Stop with the stupid, "did he mean it", intent argument. Or ball-to-arm not arm-to-ball. If it's obvious and not an unavoidable plus it has given the player an advantage, it's a penalty.

That said, I really hate Liverpool so happy for Man City to take the points.

What’s stupid about the intent argument? You think it should be handball whenever a ball is hit at someone’s arm? Intent is absolutely fundamental to me.

6 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Not sure whether your description is poorly worded / poorly interpreted, but you seem to imply there is an overlapping red and green area.  There’s not as far as the stuff I’ve read this morning.

I used conclusively. If its not conclusive  = No offence.  What could be improvement is that if its deemed the ball hits any part of the red area = Its a penalty.   

This was not deemed handball either.

Edited by Cowshed

45 minutes ago, Leveller said:

What’s stupid about the intent argument? You think it should be handball whenever a ball is hit at someone’s arm? Intent is absolutely fundamental to me.

As I said, if it's completely unavoidable to get out of the way. Fine.

If you're stood on the goalline as the last man and the ball hits the arm accidentally but clearly preventing a goal. **** intent. It's changed the course.

15 minutes ago, TBW said:

As I said, if it's completely unavoidable to get out of the way. Fine.

If you're stood on the goalline as the last man and the ball hits the arm accidentally but clearly preventing a goal. **** intent. It's changed the course.

The rule exists to prevent cheating by using your arm. Your suggestion is like giving a penalty if a forward runs into a defender when the defender can’t get out  of the way. 

30 minutes ago, Leveller said:

The rule exists to prevent cheating by using your arm. Your suggestion is like giving a penalty if a forward runs into a defender when the defender can’t get out  of the way. 

I've said twice now. If entirely unavoidable, fine. Don't give it. But using the word intent can't be the primary description. It needs to be about a clear and unarguable advantage. If the player had literally no time to possibly adjust that's different.

On 27/02/2022 at 11:27, Davefevs said:

Aha that explains it. According to this it is only handball if you use your left arm, Rodri used his right so no handball.

?

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

40 minutes ago, Offside said:

So when did this upper/lower arm rule start? It seems over-complicated in my opinion. To me, the Man City player controls the ball with his arm so it’s a penalty. I can see how Everton are outraged given that they are scrapping for points at the wrong end of the table. 

20 -21. 

What's new in 2020/21: Handball Laws (premierleague.com)

• Thanks 1

On 26/02/2022 at 17:58, MarcusX said:

What’s that got to do with the Premier League?

Some sources said there was an offside in the build up before, though premier league official response was they couldn’t be certain it was handball. don’t forget Handball is anything below the sleeve now

Left pic looks like no handball to me, by that rule. Right looks handball but no way from that angle you can tell where it’s touching.

If not a clear and obvious error then no over rule?

image.png.29e034ae4c6d049fb463a9e0f9959cf0.png

Without going to far down the was this a handball road I will say this.

Clear and obvious error!!?. If we need to take more than 30 seconds to look at a decision it was not a clear and obvious error. 

The electronic lines and fractionalized pictures at offsides in of themselves prove it was not a clear and obvious error. Until everyone comes to terms with how to apply the rule then this crap will go on and on. 

• Like 1