IGNORED

Drop Massengo, Semenyo, Weimann on Saturday against Birmingham

I don’t support dropping players for the sake of it but I would like to see Cundy, Benarous, Conway and Bell getting more opportunities over the rest of the season so the club can decide if they are ready to be counted on next season.

I’d ideally want 2 or 3 more wins first though and Birmingham seems an opportunity to try to get one of those.

Edited by LondonBristolian
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Monkeh said:

In short no,

While we still aren't mathematically safe we should be fighting for every point which means our best players need to play when fit,

We would be doing reading Barnsley and Peterborough a disservice playing a weakened team, and if it were the other way round we'd be outraged

Agree not safe yet the way we're conceding get ten points then experiment 

7 hours ago, Never to the dark side said:

to the bench

The season is nearly over and we ain't going no where.

I am concerned that three players mentioned COULD suffer burn out

If saturdays crowd gets behind the team and with Birmingham fans not very happy with their team we could get the three points

That would mean a two week rest for our gold star players

Then return all three of  them for the away games at Blackburn and the midweek game against Barnsley.

Where will the goals from?

I am not concerned,

its next season we have to start worrying about and its not the attack,

its the defence I am worried about and its the defence that needs sorting out.

Did you call in to Radio Bristol on Saturday NTTDS? I listened to a re-run of the Geoff Twentyman post match bit from Saturday and a caller who rang in made the exact same suggestions you’ve made above, pretty much word for word. Geoff’s reaction was “who would score if you drop Semenyo and Weimann?” ...

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Weimaan wont get burnt out.

He has too much industry.

Can see your point with the young ones.

Agree about Weimann. Duracell bunnies don't burn out they just need to charge their batteries every now and again..

As a winnable game however I wouldn't be dropping our better players 

• Like 2

Some good points on this thread.

Yes dropping does sound harsh.

Antoine would be crazy to consider doing so, after being voted best player in the leauge.

Howver, it says here we need 20 million to be just on a level field.

We know that could be 2 youngster, kalas, maybe a few million for wells.

I wouldnt risk our assets at the end of march in games.

Sadly, the youngsters are are only way out this mess.

52 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

One thing is also certain.

Everyman and his dog knows we are skint.

We are not skint we have a billionaire owner,

Our ability to operate in the transfer market is restricted, one big sale fixes that,

It isn't a fire sale you are over reacting 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Lets be honest here..

This is a firesale, nothing more.

They never ever go well.

Sorry that's simply not true. If we sell players it will be because they want to move and we're happy to sell.  There's certainly the need to get some kind of transfer revenue in though but this could be from a sell on for Webster or Brownhill 

46 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

One big sale, right.

Who you got in mind out of intrest.

You have just stated it isnt a firesale.

It clearly is.

If they are going anyway, and we are safe, last 3 games, wont matter.

One big sale if only.

With at least 3 Premiership clubs currently interested in Scott with maybe more to show interest this will only drive the price up. if we could get anything over £20m for the lad we would have to sell and hopefully sell ons for Webster Brownhill or Kelly should help our finances and give us a summer transfer kitty

Edited by westonred

1 minute ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Ok, like we dont have a gun to our heads with the contract, and points deduction stuff.

Do we, or do we not have a choice?

Look in the oxford english, the term firesale sums this up perfectly.

I can assure, you it will be more like three players.

Sorry that's rubbish. We are not on the verge of bankruptcy. And there hasn't been a fire.

There may well be more than  3 sales but that might be because we want rid of them?  For example Kalas or Bentley. Still would command a fee but if Nige has decided they aren't what he wants long term then why not sell now and buy long term replacements. That's player trading not a fire sale.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

3 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Ok, like we dont have a gun to our heads with the contract, and points deduction stuff.

Do we, or do we not have a choice?

Look in the oxford english, the term firesale sums this up perfectly.

I can assure, you it will be more like three players.

No one has a gun to our heads

We aren't in danger of breaching ffp yet

We have sell on clauses with brownhill Kelly and Webster all rumoured to have big money moves lined up

We have some good young players attracting interest, even before those losses we would of prob sold if a big enough offer came in, kodja and Kelly are proof of that

You are completely overreacted and being quite idiotic to be honest

• Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

23 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Bard you are talking crap.

This clown still thinks websters move to stamford bridge is still on the menu.

Hasnt been a fire?

I suggest you look at all the free transfers we have signed.

No fire. no debt, no point deduction, il calm down.

We've signed free transfers for the last 100 years,

You also excluded money paid for atkinson and tanner conveniently 

Just now, Oh Louie louie said:

Ok weston red has been brave enough to say he expects 30 million bid to come in for scott.

Fair play,

I did ask you a while back which player do you expect to fetch a fee.

A answer sometime today would be nice.

Tanner and ak were signed for peanuts at this level, fgs come off it.

Well done @weston red for your bravery.   Obviously some of us aren't up to the high standards expected .

Well this thread went down a weird rabbit hole, with all this fire sale bollocks, didn’t it? 

I must admit I find the OP’s view baffling, you can make a case for dropping HNM not resting him, but Weimann & Semenyo are certs to start on Saturday.

This issue of resting Martin crops up every time we get beat, there is absolutely no logic in doing so on Saturday after a free week & with no midweek game next week it doesn’t make any sense then, either.

We should be safe pretty soon, Derby’s defeat last night means they probably won’t even reach 40 points now, Peterborough won’t either & Barnsley might have revived but would need to win 8/13 to even set us any sort of target (next up Derby away, then Fulham home 2 games later).

We have some decisions to make on the 2 defenders out of contract in Klose & Cundy, so it makes sense to have a good look in particular at the latter, beyond that getting Tanner back would be good, he needs more games at this level & we need a natural RB.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

Well this thread went down a weird rabbit hole, with all this fire sale bollocks, didn’t it? 

I must admit I find the OP’s view baffling, you can make a case for dropping HNM not resting him, but Weimann & Semenyo are certs to start on Saturday.

This issue of resting Martin crops up every time we get beat, there is absolutely no logic in doing so on Saturday after a free week & with no midweek game next week either it doesn’t make any sense then, either.

We should be safe pretty soon, Derby’s defeat last night means they probably won’t even reach 40 points now, Peterborough won’t either & Barnsley might have revived but would need to win 8/13 to even set us any sort of target (next up Derby away, then Fulham home 2 games later).

We have some decisions to make on the 2 defenders out of contract in Klose & Cundy, so it makes sense to have a good look in particular at the latter, beyond that getting Tanner back would be good, he needs more games at this level & we need a natural RB.

Yep.  The issues with Martin being overplayed are less relevant with just 1 midweek game left.  He did look really leggy earlier in the season when there were a lot more midweek games though and surely we'll be signing another striker who can play the target man role when Wells leaves?

I'm looking forward to seeing Cundy start.  He was on a very good upward trajectory before injury and must be fully imbedded into the squad.  Be surprised if we don't offer him a contract. 

35 minutes ago, The Bard said:

Yep.  The issues with Martin being overplayed are less relevant with just 1 midweek game left.  He did look really leggy earlier in the season when there were a lot more midweek games though and surely we'll be signing another striker who can play the target man role when Wells leaves?

I'm looking forward to seeing Cundy start.  He was on a very good upward trajectory before injury and must be fully imbedded into the squad.  Be surprised if we don't offer him a contract. 

Personally, I don’t think we will “target” (no pun) what we traditionally call a target man.  Nige wants power and pace.  I think he’d like another Semenyo-type, can do a bit of everything.  Whether we can get that I don’t know.  I think Martin will be offered another year on less money than the club-option states.

I think Wells will move on and we will have a forward line of:

Semenyo, Weimann, Martin, new-striker, and Conway / Bell to prove they are good enough.

But if we can’t get that striker he may go with what he has.

It could be a case of Martin or new-striker, not both!

Over the coming weeks (I’d hoped earlier) we should start to see the fate of the likes of Massengo become clearer.  Then we can reflect on what that really means.

23 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I remember a couple of seasons back, we had 3 games in a week and LJ said he’d picked 3 separate teams.  I thought that was bonkers.  What if the player you chose to say play games 1 and 3 bangs in a hatrick in game 1?

Lees philosophy was very different to Nige though, big squad lots of rotation and setting up differently to exploit the other team's weaknesses.   Nige is more a lean fit squad small amounts of rotation and playing a similar way week in week out.  I like both philosophies to be honest but I know what is more affordable and consistent ?

• Like 1