IGNORED

St David’s Day / City Twitter

David Brent

Bristolian-Welsh rivalry and banter is something that goes back decades, probably centuries.

But that said, it's worth some fans respecting that City have some very committed Welsh fans.  I know one and he's 100% Ciderhead as well as being proud of Cardiff, the city he grew up. He shares our opinion of the football club based there. 

• Like 5

Many Brits generally, and local residents have mixed heritage - and that includes many of us that consider ourselves English but also have Welsh, or Scots or Irish parents.

I’m often (slightly) offended by those on OTIB who assume our supporters are 100% English and who happily express hate for the rest of us.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Leveller said:

Many Brits generally, and local residents have mixed heritage - and that includes many of us that consider ourselves English but also have Welsh, or Scots or Irish parents.

I’m often (slightly) offended by those on OTIB who assume our supporters are 100% English and who happily express hate for the rest of us.

I was about to say the same…

3 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Bristolian-Welsh rivalry and banter is something that goes back decades, probably centuries.

But that said, it's worth some fans respecting that City have some very committed Welsh fans.  I know one and he's 100% Ciderhead as well as being proud of Cardiff, the city he grew up. He shares our opinion of the football club based there. 

Some of the posts on the six nations thread indicate there are a number of Welsh City fans on this forum. Add on the ones who aren't forum members and perhaps there are quite a few. I knew of two (separately) who used to sit near me in the Dolman.

• Like 1

The inevitable small-minded hateful minority strike yet again. The same type of people that post under every post about International Women's Day - "Well what about International Men's Day?!". Well that's November 19th - and why are you so fascinated with borders and celebrating the differences between people?

They didn't say "Happy Cardiff City Day". I've spent a good chunk of my life in Wales and the only people that really cared about people being English were a small minority of thugs/sad acts. I expect the same is true here.

Edited by Tom
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, KegCity said:

Cardiff have never tweeted Happy St George’s Day. Can’t say I’m particularly arsed, but it’s hardly a surprise people are moaning.

You have to be a special kind of idiot to moan. Especially given what's going on in the world.

Both my parents were born in Wales, and my father was a Cardiff City supporter living in Bristol.  When I was a child we used to go over to Cardiff for matches when City (Bristol) weren’t at home, and I grew up with Cardiff as my second team when I was at school.  I never took any stick for it, even when they were singing “They should have built a wall not a bridge” in the East End.

1 hour ago, TomF said:

But Cardiff probably don’t have many English based fans. City do have a collective of fans along the border up past Chepstow etc.   We’ve always had a decent amount just to the right of the bridge on that side of the river. 

They probably do it as much to get a reaction and get people talking about it! 

There used to be a bus in the late 70’s that ran from the Forest through Chepstow straight to the ground. 
Like you said there is probably a higher percentage of City fans to Cardiff in Chepstow. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

It’s staggering what will upset people

It’s the modern world mate - the younger generations wake up every day now and their first thoughts are “Right, what I can be offended by today?” - “Who can I implore others to ‘cancel’ today?” - “Who can I encourage others to ‘pile on’ people on social media because their views and opinions are different from mine?” - “Whose career can I attempt to ruin because they stand for different stuff than my views?”

... and they go through the day full of angst, pent up anger and misery because the world doesn’t necessary agree with everything they think and say - they can’t handle it, even though they’ve populated our planet for less than 20 years, yet in their eyes everyone who has been through loads of real life stuff and who have proper perspective on the real issues, should be cancelled because their views don’t necessarily reflect the stances that the loud leftists have been taught to believe at universities etc ...

I fear for this country over the next few decades - the generations coming through are weak and indoctrinated... and if they had their way, we would have had to go though Brexit, a global pandemic and the Ukraine / Russia crisis with Corbyn, Abbott, Thornberry, McDonnell etc at the helm - and true to form, Corbyn has already blamed the UK and the US for the horrendous situation in Ukraine ... I need a Malbec ??

Edited by BS4 on Tour...
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

It’s the modern world mate - the younger generations wake up every day now and their first thoughts are “Right, what I can be offended by today?” - “Who can I implore others to ‘cancel’ today?” - “Who can I encourage others to ‘pile on’ people on social media because their views and opinions are different from mine?” - “Whose career can I attempt to ruin because they stand for different stuff than my ‘lefty views’?” - and they go through the day full of angst, pent up anger and misery because the world doesn’t necessary agree with everything they think and say - they can’t handle it, even though they’ve populated our planet for less than 20 years, yet in their eyes everyone who has been through loads of real life stuff and who have proper perspective on the real issues, should be cancelled because their views don’t necessarily reflect the stances that the loud leftists have been taught to believe at universities etc ... I fear for this country over the next few decades - the generations coming through are weak and indoctrinated...

That's quite a statement.

However, I imagine the people being offended by the fact that our club recognises that it has Welsh fans, are middle-aged men in the main.  AFAICS they tend to be much bigger snowflakes than the young. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, TomF said:

But Cardiff probably don’t have many English based fans. City do have a collective of fans along the border up past Chepstow etc.   We’ve always had a decent amount just to the right of the bridge on that side of the river. 

They probably do it as much to get a reaction and get people talking about it! 

There is a  large City following just over the Bridge in Monmouthshire and the Peoples Republic of the Forest of Dean and further south into Wales. It’s been around for decades and we are very very passionate about City. Caldicot , Chepstow , Undy, Newputt, Usk. We are everywhere in the borders flying the red flag high. We have been known to have our moments with our Welsh friends over the years locally as well?

Edited by Wealwayseatcheese
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

It’s the modern world mate - the younger generations wake up every day now and their first thoughts are “Right, what I can be offended by today?” - “Who can I implore others to ‘cancel’ today?” - “Who can I encourage others to ‘pile on’ people on social media because their views and opinions are different from mine?” - “Whose career can I attempt to ruin because they stand for different stuff than my views?”

... and they go through the day full of angst, pent up anger and misery because the world doesn’t necessary agree with everything they think and say - they can’t handle it, even though they’ve populated our planet for less than 20 years, yet in their eyes everyone who has been through loads of real life stuff and who have proper perspective on the real issues, should be cancelled because their views don’t necessarily reflect the stances that the loud leftists have been taught to believe at universities etc ...

I fear for this country over the next few decades - the generations coming through are weak and indoctrinated... and if they had their way, we would have had to go though Brexit, a global pandemic and the Ukraine / Russia crisis with Corbyn, Abbott, Thornberry, McDonnell etc at the helm - and true to form, Corbyn has already blamed the UK and the US for the horrendous situation in Ukraine ... I need a Malbec ??

Sounds like you’ve had enough. What utter tosh.  I have children in the younger generations and i coach kids in two separate sports and don’t recognise this at all. That’s over 35 kids.  What I see is a wonderful generation with plenty of respect and kindness to one another.  When I look to the older people in my life I see a lot of snowflake behaviour, bitterness and a very insular attitude.  The over 50s are the generation that bought us Brexit and a decade of Tory rule. 

Rather than fear for this country I have hope.  This country is in an awful place right now and if you think that’s young peoples fault then you are crazy. 

Edited by And Its Smith
  • Like 12
  • Robin 1

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

The outraged are outraged by the outraged 

• Flames 1

9 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Mate, you need to spend time with my three boys and maybe you might not think in generalisations?

• Like 3