IGNORED

Chelsea up for sale?

exAtyeoMax

£20,000 budget for away travel for European fixtures will be tight, big drop in standards. Could perhaps see the players taking over costs for games this season at least 

Just now, Super said:

He'll still be able to sell the club though.

Not the impression I was getting from usually reliable journalists on Twitter, one saying they’d spoken to a broker working on an offer saying it was now dead

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

So transfers are banned, ticket sales have been stopped and the club shop is closed.

Good.

I feel sorry for Chelsea fans and would hate for this to happen to Bristol City but there is a horrible war going on and football cannot be treated as a special case. I know we all think football is special but while Ukrainian hospitals are being bombed its not. If it hurts Russia and puts pressure on Putin to stop then shut the club down.

4 minutes ago, Super said:

Report i read was no

• Like 8

9 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

£20,000 budget for away travel for European fixtures will be tight, big drop in standards. Could perhaps see the players taking over costs for games this season at least 

Not the impression I was getting from usually reliable journalists on Twitter, one saying they’d spoken to a broker working on an offer saying it was now dead

As long as RA doesn't benefit from the sale it won't be stopped. He saw this coming a mile off.

3 minutes ago, Super said:

As long as RA doesn't benefit from the sale it won't be stopped. He saw this coming a mile off.

Sounds like they can be sold however they have to apply for license to do so. Now whether they want to allow that license is another question. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Also read that Chelsea are believed to have under 30,000 season ticket holders, so I assume gates will be down once those who haven't yet bought tickets are unable to do so.

I assume they will not be allowed to sell season tickets for next season. If the club isn't sold, then Rovers will be able to claim they have bigger attendances than Chelsea. 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

24 minutes ago, CHIPLEY RED said:

Good.

I feel sorry for Chelsea fans and would hate for this to happen to Bristol City but there is a horrible war going on and football cannot be treated as a special case. I know we all think football is special but while Ukrainian hospitals are being bombed its not. If it hurts Russia and puts pressure on Putin to stop then shut the club down.

Report i read was no

Do I feel sorry for Chelsea and their fans? Like hell I do.

They were a First Division club that had only won a couple of trophies before the Oligarch arrived!

Where were they in 1975? Division Two finishing below the promoted Sunderland, Bristol City and WBA.

They can rot for all I care and if someone says that he's no different to SL, my response is.

SL has put £150 million into City including a stadium rebuild. In his home city.

Abramovic has put in a minimum of £1.5 billion. Subtle difference.

Edited by cidered abroad

6 minutes ago, EmissionImpossible said:

What a joke that it took 2 weeks to impose this. I wonder why…..

Suspect Chelsea FC is the tip of the iceberg of the money he had in this country.  He will have already been moving that out.  Using Chelsea as a good-PR piece, when he’s anything but.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, EmissionImpossible said:

What a joke that it took 2 weeks to impose this. I wonder why…..

It’s like ******* hide & seek with this Government.

We know you are Putin’s mate but you have given us loads of money, so you have a fortnight to get everything out & then we’ll come for you.

Completely corrupt.

• Like 3

As one who worked under Patel at the HO it's no surprise she and her Government continue to excel in crass ineptitude. If only they'd expended effort in ensuring Ukrainian refugees had an expedite and safe passage to these shores instead of her hiding behind self-imposed red tape. But little changes.

As for RA and Chelsea. I've yet to see any reasoned, legal explanation as to how the Government believes it has the right to act as it has? There's a raft of legislation to handle breach of financial regulation, proceeds of crime et al yet, so far as I'm aware , RA hasn't been charged with any offence in this country or any with which we have reciprocal arrangements. I've seen no suggestion that Chelsea is implicated in such practice. RA is an Israeli citizen who holds Portuguese nationality, so whilst it's easy to decline him entry here if he's commited no crime (as charged) what right has the UK Government to sanction him as an individual for assets wholly held in the UK? From first hand account he, his ex-wife and family come across as quiet, reserved, considerate types. Maybe he isn't, but I've  no evidence to suggest otherwise. To claims he 'stole' or benefitted from the denationalization of Russian state institutions, I've no doubt he did the latter but the former, where's the evidence? Much as with Bill Gates he exploited a naive market and became abundantly rich in the process. As one who regularly travelled to Russia in those days there were many 'opportunities' proffered by state officials looking to feather their own nests (I personally was requested to 'broker' several deals involving substantial bits of 'missing' military hardware on the basis if I was expert at shifting newspapers how difficult could it be for me to offload attack helicopters and munitions?)

The 'Special Licence' fiasco this morning is straight from the script of 'Yes Minister' or 'The Thick Of It'. Sledgehammer, knee-jerk policy. Rapid realization of ill-thought and unintended consequence and more reverse ferrets than found on a Mendips coursing expedition.

For a Government that's bent over backwards to favour Derby and its corrupt administration, quite how they square their attitude to Chelsea today God only knows?

Edited by BTRFTG
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

As one who worked under Patel at the HO it's no surprise she and her Government continue to excel in crass ineptitude. If only they'd expended effort in ensuring Ukrainian refugees had an expedite and safe passage to these shores instead of her hiding behind self-imposed red tape. But little changes.

As for RA and Chelsea. I've yet to see any reasoned, legal explanation as to how the Government believes it has the right to act as it has? There's a raft of legislation to handle breach of financial regulation, proceeds of crime et al yet, so far as I'm aware , RA hasn't been charged with any offence in this country or any with which we have reciprocal arrangements. I've seen no suggestion that Chelsea is implicated in such practice. RA is an Israeli citizen who holds Portuguese nationality, so whilst it's easy to decline him entry here if he's commited no crime (as charged) what right has the UK Government to sanction him as an individual for assets wholly held in the UK? From first hand account he, his ex-wife and family come across as quiet, reserved, considerate types. Maybe he isn't, but I've  no evidence to suggest otherwise. To claims he 'stole' or benefitted from the denationalization of Russian state institutions, I've no doubt he did the latter but the former, where's the evidence? Much as with Bill Gates he exploited a naive market and became abundantly rich in the process. As one who regularly travelled to Russia in those days there were many 'opportunities' proffered by state officials looking to feather their own nests (I personally was requested to 'broker' several deals involving substantial bits of 'missing' military hardware on the basis if I was expert at shifting newspapers how difficult could it be for me to offload attack helicopters and munitions?)

The 'Special Licence' fiasco this morning is straight from the script of 'Yes Minister' or 'The Thick Of It'. Sledgehammer, knee-jerk policy. Rapid realization of ill-thought and unintended consequence and more reverse ferrets than found on a Mendips coursing expedition.

For a Government that's bent over backwards to favour Derby and its corrupt administration, quite how they square their attitude to Chelsea today God only knows?

I would suspect there’s a lot you don’t know. I wouldn’t have thought this will be without basis. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Super said:

Apparently not.  The licence is for the club being able to continue running.

From the BBC;

"The football club is among the assets frozen as part of the sanctions against Mr Abramovich and its sale is now on hold"

12 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

As for RA and Chelsea. I've yet to see any reasoned, legal explanation as to how the Government believes it has the right to act as it has? There's a raft of legislation to handle breach of financial regulation, proceeds of crime et al yet, so far as I'm aware , RA hasn't been charged with any offence in this country or any with which we have reciprocal arrangements.

The sanctions are taking place under the The Russia (Sanctions) (EU Exit) Regulations 2019 (https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2019/855/contents/made).

It requires that the Secretary of State "has reasonable grounds to suspect that that person is an involved person" and "considers that the designation of that person is appropriate". The full definition of an "involved person" is defined in Regulation 6 (https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2019/855/regulation/6/made)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Fascinating stuff.

A sale could be allowed under licence, with one term possibly being that all proceeds are held in escrow.

Usmanov at Everton next? Not sure how close he is to Putin, but scope there for a relegated Everton operating under sanctions in the Championship next season?

Maybe Demin at Bournemouth? He's the majority owner now. Be interesting for our division. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Maybe Demin at Bournemouth? He's the majority owner now. Be interesting for our division. 

Yeh, couldn't remember his name. Abramovich is the highest profile Russian owner, but he's far from the only one. All depends on  how each individual fits into the legal definitions being applied.

• Like 1

• Admin

By MARTIN LIPTON

CHELSEA’S future has been plunged into doubt after Roman Abramovich was accused of being involved in funding and equipping Russia’s invasion of Ukraine and placed on the Uk sanctions list.

The move freezes Abramovich’s assets, including Chelsea.

And while the club will be allowed to continue to operate and play matches under a special licence, it can only do so under onerous conditions that also prevent the sale of the Blues.

Are Chelsea able to keep playing?

Yes, even though all other assets owned by Abramovich have been “frozen immediately” by the Government. Chelsea is one of those assets but “General Licence INT/2022/1327076” ensures the club can remain active. The licence “allows Chelsea Football Club to undertake activities that would otherwise be prohibited by financial sanctions, meaning the club can fulfil its fixtures and carry out football business, without undermining the impact of sanctions”.

What does that mean?

The club remains allowed transactions relating to the “reasonable costs necessary to host fixtures”, including providing security, catering and stewards. Wages of all employees can be met and paid, along with the costs of travelling to matches and pre-existing contractual payments regarding previous transfer and loan dealings.

And what about the fans?

The advice from the Office of Financial Sanctions Implementation says that the sanctions order means Chelsea cannot take any more money “at the gate” or for future tickets that have not been purchased already. 

In simple terms, that allows season ticket holders or those who have already bought tickets for games to attend fixtures - but nobody else. They can buy food and drink at the game, too.

Hang on, that’s unfair - how can away fans attend for games where the tickets haven’t been on sale?

Prem chiefs are already seeking a solution. The most likely solution would be for Chelsea to give away their away fan allocation - 3,000 tickets per match - to their opponents for free, with any proceeds of £30 per ticket sale going direct to the Premier League. That money might then be sent to Ukraine-based humanitarian relief.

But the club Megastore - that’s been shut down?

Probably, although maybe not. The licence “permits parties who purchased or produced club merchandise prior to 10 March 2022 to continue selling that merchandise” but none of that money can go to Chelsea or, directly or indirectly, Abramovich. Unless there is a whole new bank account separate from the club for Megastore revenues - and that applies to ALL of the club’s High Street stores as well - they cannot trade with immediate effect.

And the games due to be on TV - starting with Newcastle on Sunday?

The ongoing TV contracts, domestic and overseas, can continue as normal. The OFSI says broadcasters are “permitted” to screen games “under pre-existing arrangements” and that contractually-agreed broadcast payments “related to any fixtures” can be paid. 

But does that mean no prize money from the Prem - or Uefa?

Again, a strict reading of the regulations could mean that happening as those payments would not be “related to any fixtures”. It’s going to be an interesting time for the Prem lawyers, too.

Okay - but Abramovich was looking to sell. Is that out of the window?

For now, yes. The freezing of Abramovich’s assets also preclude ANY financial dealings from which he might benefit. And a sale would mean money into his bank accounts, soi that’s a no-no. That deadline of interest due on Tuesday has suddenly been rendered redundant.

And how does it impact the summer? Chelsea would normally have been active in the market….is that off the agenda now?

Not entirely clear - but, probably, yes. The sanctioning means, in the first place, that there can be no funding of the club’s activities from the owner or his related companies.

But any player sales would, normally, mean money going into an Abramovich-owned entity, which would be breaking the Law. And it is equally an offence to receive money from an Abramovich company.

Any bank or lawyer facilitating a transaction would be liable to prosecution, too.

Theoretically, it means Chelsea cannot offer any new contracts to current players either 

Of course, the Premier League may seek to intervene to grant a further loophole at the end of the season. But, for now, Chelsea are in total transfer limbo

1 minute ago, Northern Red said:

Trust that shit publication to spin a story on the back of all this 

• Like 1